Prince of Persia

new games to be launched and discussed here
sorvad

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by sorvad » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:17 pm

Wow, little late to the congratulations but well... congratulations, looks awesome :)

andrewvideo

Post by andrewvideo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm

I think this might mentioned before. Is any way getting Prince of Persia working off a ADFS hard drive inside a directory? I did try coping it and didnt work.

Cheers

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:38 pm

It uses too much memory IIRC. ADFS won't have the space it needs.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Yes, sadly ADFS uses too much of HAZEL RAM which is liberally “borrowed” without permission from the MOS. It would also require a new build because the current version uses a ‘pak’ type file with direct low-level sector access to bundle multiple game assets together to get over the DFS catalogue size limit.

We (well Tom) managed an ADFS version of SCR but sadly POP is a bit more complicated to build, with multiple overlays. I still haven’t got to the bottom of the Master Compact incompatibility bug. :?
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Was there a VideoNuLa version?

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm

No. Again it was on the list, particularly when I originally planned MODE 1 so just four colours, but after Dethmunk provided such wonderful eight colour MODE 2 graphics there didn’t seem to be much point in revisiting.

Technically the sprite engine permits three independent colours per sprite from a palette of 16 (stored as 2bpp with mask but displayed as 4bpp, same as Exile) so it would be possible to redo the entire graphics set just for NULA (Ie. choose a unique 16 colour palette.) This could result in something of similar visual quality to the PC VGA version in my estimation (albeit at lower resolution and frame rate) but would be a lot of work. The entire source is up on GitHub if anyone fancies a crack at it!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:54 am

I have to say, for me, one of the glories of this is how it runs beautifully and looks gorgeous on stock hardware. Going the NULA route feels like it would have taken some of that away.

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 am

And you can still tweak the eight colours if you like without touching the game.

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 am

No I think it's perfect like it is!
Thought I read something about it, thats why I asked.

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl