Free, via Twitter: Beeb stuff in Canterbury

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
tom_seddon

Free, via Twitter: Beeb stuff in Canterbury

Post by tom_seddon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mildlydiverting/sta ... 3306478595 - "three boxes full of old BBC B software, ROMS, books? It’s going to the tip unless someone claims it in the next 24h"

Judging by the Twitter thread, it looks like it might have found a taker in the form of https://twitter.com/TheNVA. The owner suggested I could share it a bit more though, so here it is!

Unfortunately Canterbury is 4 hours away for me, and then I'd still have to get back :(

--Tom

crj

Re: Free, via Twitter: Beeb stuff in Canterbury

Post by crj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm

I've responded. But it looks like I'm a long way down the list, which is quite heartening in a way. (-8

mildlydiverting

Post by mildlydiverting » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello

Quick update on this: the National Videogame Arcade guys visited and took the software, books etc, but I now have about... ten BBC Bs, four masters, and a pile of floppy drives / monitors (3 Cubs, plus other misc ones...)

It's all a bit tatty / bashed around, but might be good for spares / repair. Most is ex university lab stuff!

Currently in piles in my living room, so need to confirm a collection date if you want it.

Free to a kind home. If you sell it on, I'd appreciate a donation to an Alzheimer's charity out of the proceeds!

Kim

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I have PMed you if you still have any left, as the "Tricky Arcade" still has some vacancies :)

mildlydiverting

Post by mildlydiverting » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm

@tricky - you'd be welcome to whatever you want! Let me know.

I've only just registered here so it looks like I can't currently reply to your PM or send a new one, sorry - I'll try and track you down via email.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

I'm interested in a master if there are any left

Marcus

balladof32

Post by balladof32 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm actually in Canterbury and I'm happy to come grab it all this evening or your welcome to drop it off .

crj

Post by crj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 pm

mildlydiverting wrote:Quick update on this: the National Videogame Arcade guys visited and took the software, books etc, but I now have about... ten BBC Bs, four masters, and a pile of floppy drives / monitors (3 Cubs, plus other misc ones...)
Joining the dots, I'm the "anotherclive" you responded to on Twitter. (-8

I have no use for this stuff, so please let other people have it. However, I'd rather take it than see it get thrown away.

One small snag: your Twitter location says "London", which is somewhat closer to Cambridgeshire than Canterbury is! If the stuff is actually in Canterbury, I'd need to think a little more carefully about how and when to collect it...

myelin

Post by myelin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 pm

I would love to take one of the Masters, except I'm in the USA so I won't be able to come pick it up, I'm afraid :) If someone picks them all up and is prepared to ship internationally, please let me know!

Update (2018-05-12): I managed to find a Master 128, so don't worry about me here any more.
Last edited by myelin on Sat May 12, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

balladof32

Post by balladof32 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 am

I've offered to go and get the stuff and distribute across this forum as required so long as postage is paid

markrwj

Post by markrwj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 am

I would also be interested in a Master if any left. However like others I am not in the UK so would hope someone would be able to ship to me.

Mark

mildlydiverting

Post by mildlydiverting » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 am

Okay!

So - I have:
- Kwan coming on sunday to take some stuff
- Richard Broadhurst on thursday to take more - got first dibs on the masters + a Cub (sorry all)
- David Rutter offered to distribute the remainder (and is in canterbury) - I'll put a master in that pile for marcus or a nonUK person, if more than one master looks in a good state.

I'm not sure that I can deal with the logistics of shipping right now - sorry non-UK folk (mainly because these have come up as part of clearing out after my Dad died, so I have... limited spoons.)

I'll divvy up the three piles tomorrow and post a pic. I think at this point we consider them spoken for? (The poor computer museum in Cambridge looses out :)

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:43 am

I'll put a master in that pile for marcus
Thankyou =D>
David Rutter offered to distribute the remainder
@ David - When you're ready... Let me know the carriage and I'll send it via paypal

Marcus

balladof32

Post by balladof32 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

No problem , I'll have to find some boxes but I'll do my bit to keep some of this stuff amongst the members here

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks ever so much, mildlydiverting, for keeping this kit in circulation, especially at such a difficult time for you.

crj

Post by crj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

BigEd wrote:Thanks ever so much, mildlydiverting, for keeping this kit in circulation, especially at such a difficult time for you.
Heartily agreed. Thank you for deciding this is worth some precious spoons!

If more old computers got rehomed and fewer got sent to landfill by house clearance companies, the world would be a better place.

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Finally got some time to start on the Masters today, mostly cleaning up after the initial attempt to stop the corrosion from the batteries.
The one master is missing keyboard and power supply, so it will have a longer wait, but at least it isn't rotting any more.
The other one is complete and after a few hours working on the board and power supply, it seems to be OK, apart from a couple of keys.
After fitting an MMC to give it a bit more testing and a few games (tricky without the X key), the sound has stopped working, but otherwise fine.
before.jpg
The corrosion is barely noticable, but it had got into the PSU, under the RF, arround the board and spread under the plastic sticker on the back.
after.jpg
I still have more cleaning to do, but it has come up really nicely and now I have no excuse for not testing on Master hardware.
Thank you Kim.

PS The ROMs are Ketmit 1.30I, which I think is arround and VDU 1.2 (UKC Terminal Editor V1.2) which I don't remember.