Most disappointing conversions from other systems

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

joachim

Re: Most disappointing conversions from other systems

Post by joachim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Footballer of the Year was notorious because versions for other systems had an arcade action component that was totally missing in the BBC/Electron conversion … despite the promises of the cassette inlay. At one point there was a letter complaining about this in Electron User (https://archive.org/stream/ElectronUser ... 9/mode/2up):
After all the buying and selling screens I am supposed to enter the arcade action screen, but all that I seem to be able to get is a black screen and a message asking me to shoot left or right.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:42 pm

fwibbler wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm
Yes, I'd forgotten about Paperboy. The BBC version is definately bad, but some of the other home versions aren't great either. The Amstrad in particular is bad in almost every way except for the extra colour (and that doesn't help much).
One of the better 8 bit versions is on the Spectrum (imo).
There were two ports of Paperboy to the Amstrad CPC. The official one had the terrible graphics in low-res mode and didn't play well at all. Around the same time, a widely-pirated version was circulating that had the same crisp graphics as the ZX Spectrum version and very similar gameplay. It didn't get an official release until it showed up virtually unannounced on a Hit-Pak compilation.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Ricardo wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm
richardtoohey wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 am
Ricardo wrote:But for bitmapped graphics the Beeb reined supreme (Elite, Aviator, Revs, Sentinal etc).
Don't you mean vector graphics? Or did I miss your point?
You're right in a way, but my thought process was lower level. The Beeb's screen was purely bitmapped (except Mode 7) whereas the C64 and Spectrum were character mapped (as I recall) and to render a 3D scene you need CPU horsepower and simple (fast) screen memory access. Vectors are a higher level. The main difference between a 2D and 3D game in this context is dealing with rectangular or irregular shapes on screen. The hardware in the C64 and the screen format of the Spectrum were very rectangular. The Beeb's screen hardware freedom allowed for the irregular shapes required for polygons to be drawn and the faster CPU provided a smoother refresh rate.
The ZX Spectrum display is a hybrid. The pixels are bitmapped, but the attributes (colour cells) are character sized (8 x 8 pixels). Hence games often just used monochrome graphics if it was a '3D' type game.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...