Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
RobC

Re: Which games from other platforms did you wish was on the BBC?

Post by RobC » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm
That would be awesome, but possibly a bit unnecessary. It is actually possible to get it running on a Z80 co-pro:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6727&hilit=Zork+z80 ... 60#p107157
Ah - I hadn't seen that. Are there any advantages to getting Frotz running? Also, are there any other interactive fiction engines that would be worth porting?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

RobC wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm
KenLowe wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm
That would be awesome, but possibly a bit unnecessary. It is actually possible to get it running on a Z80 co-pro:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6727&hilit=Zork+z80 ... 60#p107157
Ah - I hadn't seen that. Are there any advantages to getting Frotz running?
I think the short answer is yes.

I’d have to look into it and remind myself of all the details, but I don’t think the version of the Infocom interpreter that runs on the Z80 copro’s CPM is capable of running modern Inform games (which are usually compiled to run on a later version of the Z-machine) — but Frotz is capable of running them.

(And actually, forget modern Inform games — I don’t think the Z80 copro CPM Infocom interpreter is even capable of running every Infocom game because some of those were only compiled for later Z-machine versions too.)

:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 pm

The later video is what I was thinking was the Archie version, or did I see that too?
Did you try a mini-map with or without enemies to make Blurp playable?

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 am

Worse Things Happen At Sea would also be a very good contender here as its not too graphically demanding (in terms of speed) and it is also a relatively different take on things. Simply plug the ships leaks as they occur, steer it occasionally (more on later levels) and keep the engine topped up with oil etc. Obviously the more water in the ship the slow it is etc until it sinks!

Its made more difficult by the fact you can only carry either a pump handle or a patch etc at one time.

Online (only released on ZX platform) available here if curious. I cannot really describe it much better, sorry.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!