MMFS Development and Support

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
hoglet

Re: MMFS Development and Support

Post by hoglet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:13 pm

rodders wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm
The ADFS drive is a Beeb SCSI (emulated hard drive) running on an RPI in the 1MHz port.
I've tried hard to reproduce this, and haven't succeeded yet.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm trying to replicate your configuration as closely as possible.

Is there a second processor running while you are doing the *MOVE? (Good suggestion Ken)

What version of MMFS are you using? (I'm testing with 1.44)

Is the Pi 1MHz Beeb SCSI running on a Pi Zero?

Is the Pi 1MHz running the latest firmware? You can check as follows:
capture7.png
Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 pm

(Edited the above post)

rodders

Post by rodders » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am

I've tried running the move with TUBE on and off but it still hangs.
I'm running MMFS 1.44
The BeebSCSI is running on a PiZero
Printing FD00 produces nothing, which I'm guessing means that I don't have the latest firmware.
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am

rodders wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am
Printing FD00 produces nothing, which I'm guessing means that I don't have the latest firmware.
You need to do that immediately on power up.

Alternatively, what's the last-modified date on the kernel.img file?

Dave

rodders

Post by rodders » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 am

I found that FD00 doesn't print anything if the tube is active, with NOTUBE I get virtually the same output as you. I actually rebuilt the Pi1MHz kernel this morning so the dates are different.
The move still hangs, I can only assume the file is corrupted in some way which is upsetting *MOVE
If you are interested I can upload the SSD but I've copied it using *LOAD and *SAVE now anyway and it seems to work fine.
BBC Model B 32k ICL issue 3, WE ROM/RAM board, Speech Processor, TurboMMC, PiTubeDirect
BBC Master 128

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 pm

rodders wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 am
The move still hangs, I can only assume the file is corrupted in some way which is upsetting *MOVE
If you are interested I can upload the SSD but I've copied it using *LOAD and *SAVE now anyway and it seems to work fine.
If you could upload the .SSD file, that would help.

I don't like leaving issues unresolved; they have a habbit of returning with a bite!

Is your Pi 1MHz on a cable?

rodders

Post by rodders » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Here's the SSD:
I'm not running the Pi on a cable, its plugged directly into Ken's level shifter.
Attachments
BasicEditor.ssd
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
BBC Master 128

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:01 pm

rodders wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Here's the SSD
Thanks, I've just tried that disk and it works fine.

I've manage to *MOVE the file 100 times without any issues.

There must be some difference between our systems, but I can't see what it is.

Very perplexing!

Dave

rodders

Post by rodders » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:09 pm

It is odd. I'll try using a different SD card and a different reader to see if I can isolate the cause. I'll let you know.
BBC Master 128

rodders

Post by rodders » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Well I've swapped my home grown SD card reader for a TurboMMC (and changed the ROM to T/MAMMFS) and also tried *MOVEing files from the MMC card that came with the TurboMMC board and it hangs every time. The only thing I can think is that the BeebSCSI directory is corrupt somehow, I used the quickstart one from the doomsday project. Maybe I should create my own.
BBC Master 128

rodders

Post by rodders » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 pm

To try to eliminate the BeebSCSI pseudo hard drive I attached my floppy drives and formatted a floppy in ADFS format.
Attempting to *MOVE a file from MMFS either results in a 'Channel' error or 'Disc fault 18 at :0 00/00' which is odd since I'm trying to move to drive 5.
Drive 0 is the BeebSCSI hard drive so maybe that is where the problem lies.
BBC Master 128

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:10 pm

rodders wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 pm
To try to eliminate the BeebSCSI pseudo hard drive I attached my floppy drives and formatted a floppy in ADFS format.
Attempting to *MOVE a file from MMFS either results in a 'Channel' error or 'Disc fault 18 at :0 00/00' which is odd since I'm trying to move to drive 5.
That's a big clue, and now I think I understand why I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Can you try *UNPLUG 9 followed by Ctrl-BREAK; this will disable the DFS ROM.

My advise is to avoid having both MMFS and DFS active at the same time, as both use the same file system ID. This is by design, to maximise conmpatibility with games.

Hopefully this will get *MOVE working for you.

Dave

rodders

Post by rodders » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Brilliant, thanks Dave, that worked.
I'll have to try to remember but I don't really need DFS anyway.
One other little mystery. I was trying to create a LUN from scratch using superform but every time I try to format I get 'Error 2C in Format'. I get this if I try to format drive 1 too. If you know what this is then great but don't spend any time on it, I don't really need it, its just an irritation.
Thanks again for your help.
Rod
BBC Master 128

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:27 pm

rodders wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm
I was trying to create a LUN from scratch using superform but every time I try to format I get 'Error 2C in Format'. I get this if I try to format drive 1 too.
Is this on the Beeb SCSI ADFS volume?

What formatter were you using?

To be honest, I've never tried to build a BeebSCSI LUN from scratch; I've always just used the blank example provided, and that has worked just fine for me.

Dave

dudleysoft71

Post by dudleysoft71 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:12 pm

I use Beeb Image to create new ADFS volumes, it can create a new Empty one of any size, or can create one with an empty DOS partition.

While testing my ARM co-processor code I use smaller partitions which are quicker to copy so I've created a fair few different volumes.

rodders

Post by rodders » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm

What formatter were you using?
I was using SuperForm which is the standard Winchester Disk formatter.
No worries, I've made a copy of the blank and renamed it scsi1.dat etc. which works fine.
BBC Master 128

Mince

Post by Mince » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 pm

If you want DFS and MMFS to coexist, you can use the xFS version of MMFS (assemble with _DFS_EMUL=FALSE) — it will then use different file handles from DFS.

The disadvantage is MMFS doesn't pretend to be DFS completely, but a lot of things do work, in particular *MOVE. In my Master I have Acorn or GoSDC DFS enabled as well as MMFS: I use MMFS to shuttle files between my Mac (to copy files to and fro, or disc images) but GoSDC for normal DFS usage.

The only downside, in my situation, is DFS is in a higher-numbered slot and intercepts OSWORD &7F so raw sector access doesn't work unless I *UNPLUG it, but *MOVE works all the time.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”