BBC Master software

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exileRelated forum: adventures

rob4556

BBC Master software

Post by rob4556 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi,
I have just acquired a BBC Master and was wondering if any software was developed specifically for it, rather than it just using the standard BBC Micro code? I would assume the Master would have been capable of so much more than the BBC Micro or Electron with its extra memory and such.
I have had a searce around my collection of games and looked on eBay and the only enhanced version of a game I could find was Exile, were there any more?

Regards

Rob

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:44 pm

Yes there were one or two, my memory is so bad that others here will be able to give you a difinitive list. Here are two that sprung to my mind though,

Strykers run
Elite

AJW

Post by AJW » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:21 pm

Yes the Level 9/Mandarin adventure games. Also UIM and Strykers Run.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:26 am

I'd forgotton about the Level 9 games, they were really good on the master, I bought Lancelot and... err. forgot the other one. Lots of graphical screens showing the locations.

I rememeber enjoying the Lost Crystal as well, don't think that was enhanced though, good game all the same. May not have been level 9.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 pm

Off the top of my head...

Strykers Run
Tactic (the M128 version doesn't seem to work on BeebEm)
By Fair Means Or Foul
Repton 3 (Break will flip between editor and game)
Repton Infinity (much better integrated on Master)
Infinity (is Master only)
Firetrack (uses a 16K SWRAM bank if you hold down E as the game loads)
Vertigo (in colour on the Master 128)
Exile (uses 16K SWRAM)
Elite

I'm sure there are others too.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:40 pm

Infinity seems to work fine on a plain old BBC. The M128 version does have an animated spaceship crashlanding at the start of the game though...

Do you know what is different in the M128 version of Tactic? I can get it to load, but it the Enhanced version looks the same as the Standard.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:23 pm

Interesting - I thought Infinity was Master only - I must try it.

I don't know what is different about the M128 version of Tactic as I have never been able to get it to run.

BTW: I think there was a version of one of the Jet Set Willy games that was Master only IIRC.

rob4556

Post by rob4556 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Thanks for that guys, I'll get looking on eBay for some of your suggestions.

Regards

Rob

AJW

Post by AJW » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:35 pm

The problem I find with Infinity was that is just too damned hard and I can't find a cheat for it!

CMcDougall

more

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:06 pm

Another couple for the Master SWRAM (also a beeb with 128k sideways etc with a little changing of lines :lol: )

Where :- Holed Out!, Crazee Rider.

Will put more down when i mind. CM 8)

fwibbler

Post by fwibbler » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 pm

I seem to recall that Helter Skelter used more colour on a BBC Master.
I could be mistaken though.

aferenbach

living daylights

Post by aferenbach » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:22 pm

hey hey

Living Daylights has a master 128 mode but it totally wigged out because I had roms in those sockets that were meant to be sideways ram banks - I couldn't convince the software to just pretend it was a model B. The only difference being that all the different levels are in memory instead of being on disc.

Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:47 pm

I think Arkanoid did slightly different things depending on what machine you had. Certainly mine played the same tune as the coin-op (rather than the confused mess of previously) after I'd had a DFS fitted, which seemed a bit odd to me at the time as I'd not ramped up the memory any.

I remember a screenshot in the January 1988 Acorn User of level 11 - the all-silver brick level - replaced by a smiley face in a hat. I don't know if that was a mock-up or an alternative screen available on the Master version or something else again - any ideas?

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

melchett

Post by melchett » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Some of the Level 9 text adventures were optimised on the Master so that they no longer ran in Mode 7, and the location pictures could slide down from the top of the screen:
  • Scapeghost
    Gnome Ranger
    Lancelot
    Time & Magik Trilogy versions of Price of Magic, Red Moon and Lords of Time (Lords of Time with Graphics!!! Surely this was one of the best adventures on the Beeb!)

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Hehe they sound worth a look, are they in the archive?

melchett

Post by melchett » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:37 pm

Yeah they are all in the STH archive. Just make sure you set your emulator to BBC Master mode before booting the discs (obviously).

If you haven't already had a look, check out the disc version of The Hobbit - it has graphics for on the standard BBC B version.

Still trying to figure out if Knight Orc was or was not published for the Beeb. Guess I'll never know...

melchett

Post by melchett » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:47 pm

melchett wrote:Still trying to figure out if Knight Orc was or was not published for the Beeb. Guess I'll never know...
By complete chance, I was looking at the following website today for a company called Email Reaction:

http://www2.emailreaction.com/about_key_profiles.asp

And on this "profiles" page, the two Austin brothers are listed... time to settle the Knight Orc conundrum once and for all. Will post back here if I get a response.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm

melchett wrote:
melchett wrote:Still trying to figure out if Knight Orc was or was not published for the Beeb. Guess I'll never know...
By complete chance, I was looking at the following website today for a company called Email Reaction:

http://www2.emailreaction.com/about_key_profiles.asp

And on this "profiles" page, the two Austin brothers are listed... time to settle the Knight Orc conundrum once and for all. Will post back here if I get a response.
Wow, well spotted! Hope you get a response. Ask them where their Magnetic Scrolls friends got to as well.

melchett

Post by melchett » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm

AJW wrote:Wow, well spotted! Hope you get a response. Ask them where their Magnetic Scrolls friends got to as well.
I have been in touch with Mike Austin and he has confirmed that Knight Orc for the BBC Micro did exist:

Yes, Knight Orc was released for the BBC Micro. We didn't do any specific versions for the Master. Hope this helps!
He has also promised to take a look to see if he has a copy in his loft / garage so am keeping my fingers crossed... this is a game I would love to see on the Beeb.

AJW

Post by AJW » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Incredible - fine work Melchett!

It's just unbelievable that it was released. Mad Hatter never mentioned it AFAIK - must have been out of touch!

Fingers crossed he finds a copy.

melchett

Post by melchett » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:33 pm

AJW wrote:Incredible - fine work Melchett!

It's just unbelievable that it was released. Mad Hatter never mentioned it AFAIK - must have been out of touch!

Fingers crossed he finds a copy.
Yeah, I'm on tenterhooks - I hope he comes up with the goods. Otherwise, I might end up stealing the data code (without graphics) from the C64/DOS/CPC464/ZX Spectrum and combining with the interpreter/decompresser from Gnome Ranger givng that it's v4 A-Code... Never the same as getting the original published version though. Have to say I've never seen this game for the Beeb on ebay so, if they did sell any copies, it must have been just a handful.

AJW

Post by AJW » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Would that work? I got the impression KnightOrc used a new style of game engine (forgot the acronym but it used a grid and simulated multiplayer play AIUI).

melchett

Post by melchett » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Not sure - I am hoping I don't have to try :D You may have a point though as it did use their KAOS engine (mangled acronym of Knight Orc Adventure System). I don't think this was the only game they used it in though and I'm fairly sure that Gnome Ranger I/II or Scape Ghost used the same system.

Just had a quick look on the Level 9 Memorial and it states:
For the later three-part games, Knight Orc, Scapeghost, and the Ingrid series, the script variable system was extended by an NPC movement and action system which was internally called KAOS
So guess it might be possible...