Hosting BBS on Beeb

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
vela025

Hosting BBS on Beeb

Post by vela025 »

Hi,

I'm trying to host an instance of EBBS (from the files on this forum) on my Beeb, that people can connect to using TcpSer (either on a real Beeb or using BeebEm). I'm hoping to call it BeeBS. On the host am currently using the follow settings in TcpSer (the l is just for logging):

Code: Select all

tcpser -d /dev/ttyS0 -s 4800 -p 6502 -i "s0=1" -l 7
And for the client BeebEm I am using

Code: Select all

tcpser -v 25232 -s 4800 -p 6501 -i "s0=1" -l 7
The two machines seem to connect, detect the baud rate but then do not proceed any further. However pressing the keys on the client does send the keys to the host. I have tried the configuration the other way around (BeebEm as the host and the real Beeb as the client), this works slightly more successfully as it displays the TcpSer output of "Connect 4800" rather than gibberish...but as before does nothing beyond this.

I have set on both the machine and BeebEm:
*configure baud 6 (4800, but have also tried at lower baud rates, including the tcpser parameters above)
*configure data 5 (8N1, with corresponding settings in Commstar and Terminator)

I have BeebEm + TcpSer running on Windows 7, and the real Beeb connected via a serial null modem cable (from Sprow) to old P4 laptop running Debian 11 (with the Fozztexx fork of TcpSer). I have also tried running the real Beeb and BeebEm through TcpSer on the same machine (using the multiple port options) but with the same result. I did briefly try BBS Server 1.4 (which I believe is made for C64, but works with a variety of hardware), this also gave the same result.

I have attached a few photographs to help explain my issues:

Attempt 1 Beeb Host / BeebEm Client
1. The host running on the real Beeb with a connection from BeebEm (notice the gibberish after scanning for baud rates)
1. The host running on the real Beeb with a connection from BeebEm
1. The host running on the real Beeb with a connection from BeebEm
2. BeebEm connecting to the host using Commstar and the two TcpSer instances (one on Windows 7, and one on Debian)
2. BeebEm connecting to the host using Commstar and the two TcpSer instances (one on Windows 7, and one on Debian)
3. The same connection eventually timing out on the Beeb.
Attempt 2 BeebEm Host/ Beeb Client
4. Output on Beeb when connected to host using Commstar
5. Host running on BeebEm with real Beeb connected
On the BeebEm host the host doesn't timeout and the output log from TcpSer shows it's send data over the serial connection, but nothing is displayed on Commstar or Termulator either in prestel mode or terminal; both have been set to 4800 Baud and 8N1. I have also tried with OBBS (however that does not recognize an incoming connection on either Beeb or BeebEm). My Beeb has no problems connecting to Telstar, CCl4 or any Telnet BBS.

I'd really like any help any one can give, this is something I'd quite like to achieve...but having worked on it for quite some time now it's starting to get to the "not fun anymore" point :cry: .
wakeyjess

Re: Hosting BBS on Beeb

Post by wakeyjess »

Which modem series was EBBS meant to work with?

From memory, some of them (the Dacom Demon II for instance) used to do things like detecting baud and emulating RING with toggling DTR/DCD for a certain number of milliseconds - just connecting a serial link won't set up an answer. I *believe* EBBS was pre-Hayes.

(Certainly CARBBS was, same with early VHost - I think Premiere was the first one which would deal with Hayes commands on the Beeb.)
Jessica Rowbottom - formerly Mad Rabbit PD back in the 80s/90s, ran a few Viewdata bulletin boards, wrote a few things for some magazines.
Now I write music under the name The Bleeding Obvious - I still use a Music5000 in the studio.
wakeyjess

Post by wakeyjess »

Incidentally, my memory just popped up ZROMM in my head - I have a vague memory that was used to control a Demon II modem from the CLI, maybe reverse engineering that might help. I can't find a manual for it anywhere, although I do still have my Dacom Designer II (same chipset but had manual buttons too).
Jessica Rowbottom - formerly Mad Rabbit PD back in the 80s/90s, ran a few Viewdata bulletin boards, wrote a few things for some magazines.
Now I write music under the name The Bleeding Obvious - I still use a Music5000 in the studio.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

Ahhh thanks, that would explain a few things. I tried the options to ring on connection and various other settings (I probably should have made a note of all the different configurations I tried, but I was getting a bit frazzelled by the end! :lol: ). Seems like its just a pipe dream for now...maybe one day! Thanks for the info!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”