Tricky's Rally-X Testing

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Re: Tricky's Rally-X Testing

Post by KarateEd »

Ok, so.....on the startup screen, you don't get a chance to admire it as it just goes past it after about 1-2 seconds. My guess is the inkey instruction for MC isn't working.

If you try to do a save state, your file comes back corrupt in that strings of code flash into the playing area and the screen jumps around with the result in making the game virtually unplayable. The only reason I save state on the HSC is to preserve my high score, I don't use it for moving from level to level. It's a feature that would be nice to keep working if possible.

Also, sometimes the GAME OVER message doesn't appear. Sometimes it just starts back into showing the main 'characters' and skips that message.

Other than that it's very playable and re-playable. Nice job Tricky......well, so far anyways.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
YeOldeIndieGuye

Post by YeOldeIndieGuye »

Well on my 3rd go I managed to make it to round 4 and 49340. It's a nice version of Rally X and I'm now used to the fact that it only scrolls vertically. I like the inclusion of the challenge stage (I've only seen one so far). The scrolling is nice and smooth and the controls are responsive.

I still have a soft spot for Road Runner by Superior Software (even though it doesn't use the 'snapper' movement keys which Rally-X does) against which this version is being measured.

Minor gripes:

1. I use the B2 emulator on the Mac and I also don't get much of a chance to read the MODE 7 intro screen - but as far as I can tell the instructions are repeated in game so not a major issue.

2. I do agree that when you get the Lucky flag with the bonus points the fact that the gameplay stops while it adds the points does break your 'flow', IMHO I'd prefer not to have the score animated like that and just a bonus sound effect would suffice - but I get the sentiment behind it.

3. It would be nice to use SPACE as well as RETURN for the smoke as I find it harder on my wrists these days to use RETURN to do things. Either supporting both or having the option to change between them would be good.

4. It would be nice if there was some indication when smoke was available to use.

5. It did seem strange that you could do a 180 turn effectively turning on the spot to get out of trouble and that does make the game a bit easier with less forward planning/strategy required.

As I said these are MINOR gripes, and some of these are probably criticisms of the original arcade game rather than this implementation of the arcade version (such as points 4 & 5).

Well done Tricky its shaping up very nicely and is very playable! Maybe one more go before bedtime :D

Best regards,
Adran
Attachments
RallyXRound4.png
Have owned an Acorn Atom, BBC Micro and Archimedes back in the day - sadly no real hardware anymore.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Broke 100k......
Rally-X-3.png

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm glad that you are enjoying it and not finding bugs that are stopping the game from being used.

The splash screen is the version that I put on my menu and is meant to be as quick as possible. The Trickysoft version that might make it to physical release has the Acornsoft style splash screen and waits for fire/return. The Trickysoft version is usually on screen long enough if you have a floppy or GOTEK, but you should be able to hold break to read it and then reboot again.

Allowing the space bar is a reasonable option and should be easy enough.

Save States should work, if they don't, then that is an emulator bug and not something I can fix in game. I did submit a fix for beebem's save States, but I don't know if it is in latest version.

I'll have a look at game over not displaying but from memory I can't think how that could happen.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

Made a little breakthrough.

107750.JPG
tricky wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am
I'm glad that you are enjoying it and not finding bugs that are stopping the game from being used.
Tricky, the game's playing very smoothly but there's a little thing about the text screens which I feel detracts a little. It's the extra spaces in DON'T and (DANGER!) which in normal text layout wouldn't be there. A small thing but maybe could be easily changed?

Don't.JPG
Danger.JPG
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

tricky wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am
I'll have a look at game over not displaying but from memory I can't think how that could happen.
I notice the game over not appearing centrally - i.e. it might inherit the scroll position. I think I saw it appear half off the bottom of the screen once so it could be that it sometimes is displayed offscreen? This was under beebem.
gameover2.png
gameover2.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 822 times
gameover.png
gameover.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Venger

Post by Venger »

Back, at last.
Attachments
RallyX1.png
tricky

Post by tricky »

DON'T doesn't have a space in it, but uses the arcade font that is non-proportional. I'll check the arcade game, but I think that I copied the text correctly.
I remember now that the GAME OVER wasn't always on screen and is inheriting the scroll position as you say.
Not picking up return in text and scrolling is because I was lazy and never went back to check. If you keep return down it should start the game, but obviously that is a long time on the scroll intro.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

tricky wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:37 pm
DON'T doesn't have a space in it, but uses the arcade font that is non-proportional. I'll check the arcade game, but I think that I copied the text correctly.
Ah, I see. I'm a bit rusty on fonts. My boo-boo!

OK back to the track. :D
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

A very small boost......
Rally-X-4.png
Rally-X-4.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 735 times

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

High Score Table Updated......

tricky

Post by tricky »

I thought I would give it a go ;)
First three attempts all lost a life on the first level and ended with between 52K and 55K, fourth go: 132,230 :) level 10 or 11 I think.
I couldn't get over 20K on the PC with an emulator.
My trinitron is way too bright, but I couldn't find a remote so this will be it for tonight, or at least until my eyes recover!
Attachments
Rally-X_132230.jpg
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Excellent game! =D> I agree with some of the other comments made: the title page goes by too fast, and the challenging stage is too easy (not sure what the arcade version is like, I'll have to compare). Other than that, it plays really well.

Someone mentioned an emulator savestate bug. If this was BeebEm, a change went into 4.16 that should fix that.

Best so far: 112,270

rallyx.jpg
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

A bit better.
rallyhi.png
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

New high score, I seem to lose a life for no obvious reason on level 4 pretty much every time, then again on a later level.

Is there a time limit, the fuel hadn't run out. And I didn't hit anything either.

Also i've noticed the computer cars zooming through the walls quite a lot as well - is this supposed to happen?
Attachments
BBC RALLY.jpg
Venger

Post by Venger »

A bit of a boost in score but the levels get much trickier with rocks and dead ends around every corner. Yikes!
Attachments
RallyX2.png
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Broke 120K
rallyx2.png
MatthewThompson

New high score , and no weirdness now either, I quit BeebEm and restarted it and all the weirdness seems to have vanished.
Attachments
BBCr.jpg
tricky

Post by tricky »

I was going to ask if it was beebem ;)
Great score by the way.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Finally had a bit of time to play this: 62720
rx2.png
MatthewThompson

tricky wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 pm
I was going to ask if it was beebem ;)
Great score by the way.
Not had any issues with it since, so was clearly an emulator moment!

thanks about the score - not sure if I can get any better, not got close again, nearest was 121,000 range.
tricky

Post by tricky »

For me, even though all my dev and practicing has been on a PC, changing to real hardware immediately got me 2X to 52K and a few games later to 134K. I guess it is more of a twitch game than I thought!

If you haven't noticed yet, the controls work differently to the arcade, in that you can steer in a diagonal and it will keep turning to try to follow it.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

The controls do seem to be a bit twitchy on BeebEm. I hit the wall a lot more often than I think I should. Also, are the enemy cars supposed to be able to go faster than you? I just got into a drag race with one and the bugger overtook me!
Venger

Post by Venger »

MartinH wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 pm
The controls do seem to be a bit twitchy on BeebEm. I hit the wall a lot more often than I think I should. Also, are the enemy cars supposed to be able to go faster than you? I just got into a drag race with one and the bugger overtook me!
I don't find the controls too bad on Beebem except for the smoke. Sometimes you have to press return more than once to get it to work.
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

I think I got to RND 12 this time then things got pretty tight.

Not finding any problems with controls in Beebem.
157530.JPG
tricky

Post by tricky »

They work fine in all the emulators, but at least on my setup, the DVI screen plus USB keyboard lag appears to be a killer!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 pm
MartinH wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 pm
I don't find the controls too bad on Beebem except for the smoke. Sometimes you have to press return more than once to get it to work.
I've found this to be true as well...... haven't tried real hardware, will have to have a go on my Master.

tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry, I've just remembered that you do have to hold smoke down as it is triggered when you enter a new tile! :oops:
MatthewThompson

My best score yet, really don't think I will be able to beat this score , unless the game gives any extra lives at some point ?

Also where does the music come from ? I know it's used in Caveman Capers, I thought it was an original tune for that game , does it come from somewhere else?. when I hear it I keep seeing a caveman on a skateboard falling flat on his face !
Attachments
best rally.jpg
tricky

Post by tricky »

I don't give extra lives ;)
The music is from the arcade game New Rally-X (Namco 1981), Caveman Capers only has the first half of the tune.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”