RiscPC motherboard repair

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
fwibbler

RiscPC motherboard repair

Post by fwibbler » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi,

I have an old RiscPC here that has the usual battery leakage.
Does anyone know of someone reliable that does repairs on these things?
Cheers!

Re: RiscPC motherboard repair

Post by 8271 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Can you post some pics; it might not be as bad as you think.
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
2 x BBC-B, 4 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, A310, A4, A5000, RiscPC700 Level 4 Server, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200, RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 pm

I'd also say, there's no one who actually does a paid for service to repair them. It can be long and fiddly process, and you can get rather far down the garden path before you realise that it's just not salvageable. By the time you've paid for someone's time you'll find it's more than a working RiscPC. Your best bet, as 8271 suggests, is to roll up your sleeves and see if you can get it going yourself?

d.

fwibbler

Post by fwibbler » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm

I may end up butchering it...Its my sisters machine.

I've taken a couple of pics of it...

I guess the first job is to remove the battery.
Should I desolder it from the legs? or try and desolder the actual legs from the board (or cut the legs from the board)?
Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_20200919_091907.jpg
IMG_20200919_091855.jpg

IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm

fwibbler wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm
Should I desolder it from the legs? or try and desolder the actual legs from the board (or cut the legs from the board)?
That doesn't look too bad at all. Snip it off, then use a small paintbrush and wipe down all the furry parts with white vinegar, mop with kitchen towel, then go over again with water, mop and leave to fully dry. Then you'll have a much better photo to show us about what damage if any lies beneath.

If the machine's still fully functional after a DEL-power-on, then it's just a new battery you'll want to put in -- I favour a single NiMH AA cell in a battery-holder situated off-board somewhere (beneath the floppy, in front of the backplane is a good place). This can be done by just soldering to the existing stubs of the battery pins, but pulling the pins, wicking out the solder, then soldering the wires in the holes would be a slightly better job really.

On the other hand, if the machine's not behaving after a DEL-power-on, then you're likely going to have to go further with the repair. Cross your fingers.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Don't be shy with vinegar, give it a good slosh. It's better to overdo than underdo! One everything is neutralised, running water will remove all the potentially corrosive salts left over. If you're in a hard water area a final rinse with distilled is advisable. Following that some people chuck on a bit of IPA to speed up drying but you don't have to.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”