3D printing advice

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
jonb

Re: 3D printing advice

Post by jonb » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I am not sure if M500 works on the CR6. “Save to EEPROM” feature is not implemented, but it does create a file on the SD card called EEPROM.DAT (which does not contain the mesh vales, apparently).

It doesn’t level before each print. Levelling is initiated manually from the touchscreen. There may be gcode commands that you can put in the slicer as preamble, to make it redo the levelling operation.

So far no sign of source code, even though it uses open source Marlin firmware and they are being hassled about it constantly. I’m sure that the FW issues would be community fixed if they released it.

Of course, all of what I am saying here is anecdotal, derived from reports on the FB groups.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:18 am

Sounds like a bug or oversight if m500 not working (or was done to stop people messing up the settings), as that would mean nothing you change will ‘stick’. One assumes that is why bedlevelling is not getting saved. Z probe height being another one that would probably vary from printer to printer (and different bed surfaces), that you would want to save.

They usually release the source eventually but weren’t that quick on previous printers either. You can if could put in any version of Marlin but featureS unique to the printer won’t work. Ditto for swapping out the board.

jonb

Post by jonb » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Well.... we're going to find out soon enough. :lol:

jonb

Post by jonb » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 am

ABL Mesh is saved under certain conditions... oh, OK: https://www.reddit.com/r/cr6/wiki/level ... _to_eeprom

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 am

jonb wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 am
ABL Mesh is saved under certain conditions... oh, OK: https://www.reddit.com/r/cr6/wiki/level ... _to_eeprom
That is the standard way to do it. I am guessing people new to bed levelling were expecting it to do it automatically. So more of an enhancement request than an issue by the sounds of it.

jonb

Post by jonb » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Well it has a workaround, but I would have expected it to function properly, or at least some guidance from Creality regarding the SD card and EEPROM.DAT file. Is this due to there not being anywhere on the board to store it, or has Creality been lazy? I suspect the former.

Meanwhile.. they have finished sending the US backers with extras and say they will have news for UK backers in the next update. With luck, we may get some shipping action. I hope they arrive before the New Year or we might find ourselves paying duty (thanks to Brexit).

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:33 pm

jonb wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 pm
Well it has a workaround, but I would have expected it to function properly, or at least some guidance from Creality regarding the SD card and EEPROM.DAT file. Is this due to there not being anywhere on the board to store it, or has Creality been lazy? I suspect the former.
Not really sure I understand issue, the ‘workaround’ is how you usually level a marlin firmware machine. I.e. that is exactly how I level my current machine. Then I just use an m420 in my slicer code. Anyway it is a non issue for me as that is what I expect to do.

Admittedly I only skimmed the issue. Perhaps it is because I am used to manually configuring the firmware and compiling it myself.

Yes I saw the note they had finished shipping US. So we should have by mid October.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 am

jonb wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm
Well.... we're going to find out soon enough. :lol:
Is you number on last batch to ship? Mine was. Should arrive from boat in 4-6 weeks. So mid to end of Oct.

jonb

Post by jonb » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 am

Yes.. so I will have to get a bit more serious about 3D modelling and slicing. I'm thinking Octopi, too (which is already setup on a Pi 2B I have lying around, but it looks a wee bit sluggish). Must make up that data only USB cable, too. I bought a couple of spare power switches from eBay and will rewire it for double pole switching; although to be honest these replacements look identical to the Creality parts so I am wondering if they are any better. Quick poke around inside reveals what looks like contact pads on only one side of each pole, the other side is just the chrome plated metal. So I expect that to last.. not very long at all!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 am

jonb wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 am
Yes.. so I will have to get a bit more serious about 3D modelling and slicing. I'm thinking Octopi, too (which is already setup on a Pi 2B I have lying around, but it looks a wee bit sluggish). Must make up that data only USB cable, too. I bought a couple of spare power switches from eBay and will rewire it for double pole switching; although to be honest these replacements look identical to the Creality parts so I am wondering if they are any better. Quick poke around inside reveals what looks like contact pads on only one side of each pole, the other side is just the chrome plated metal. So I expect that to last.. not very long at all!
2b will be a bit poor, especially if you want a camera. 3b+ would be better.

Power connector From eBay is probably same supplier as CReality .:)

I buy most things from eBay but mains stuff I usually get from RS, Screwfix,etc.

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 pm

I've sliced and streamed from a 2B quite well for some years. I no longer slice on the Raspberry Pi: it was fast enough, but changing print settings was fiddly. Also, compiling cura-steamengine or slic3r was annoying. Both Cura and Slic3r desktops have a "Slice to OctoPrint" options that are easy to set up.

The data-only USB cable is something I only heard about here. Yeah, backpower from the Raspberry Pi will turn the printer's display on, but if the printer's putting out USB-frying voltages, it's also likely frying its own controller at the same time.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am

scruss wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:03 pm
I've sliced and streamed from a 2B quite well for some years. I no longer slice on the Raspberry Pi: it was fast enough, but changing print settings was fiddly. Also, compiling cura-steamengine or slic3r was annoying. Both Cura and Slic3r desktops have a "Slice to OctoPrint" options that are easy to set up.
It is when you add the web cam and add lots of plugins the 2b becomes an issue. That is why the minimum recommend pi by octopi the is now a 3b.

The issue being if you run out of horse power (Or amp power for that matter) you will start to get stuttering. The pi zero has similar issue, more powerful core than a 2b but only one of them. Again that works with a basic install but is not recommended either.

My octopi runs a web cam and 60 octoprint plugins, it auto pushes from S3D on both Mac and Linux and pushes a prusa style thumbnail (I did the bit to make it work on S3D with the Mac and added some bits to use openscad to generate the thumbnail) and I have the cpu pinned to not throttle back, it also has a 3.5 amp power supply.

If stuttering is an issue you can try Arc Weld which uses G2/G3 commands to reduce the size of the gcode file by 75%, may also be quicker. But probably won’t work so well on a creality as use old version of firmware for base.

So if you use a 2b and hit issues you will general get told to, upgrade pi, try a different usb cable, try a bigger psu, replace sD card. Or all of them. Those 4 usually fix 99% of issues.

jonb

Post by jonb » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am

Or a 4B with at leat 4 gigs of RAM..? I did read that Octoprint isn't ready for it but I know one guy has it running. Only problem with that is the extra fan. More noise.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:12 am

jonb wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am
Or a 4B with at leat 4 gigs of RAM..? I did read that Octoprint isn't ready for it but I know one guy has it running. Only problem with that is the extra fan. More noise.
No that isn’t quite right.

4gb is fine. There are many people running on 4Gb. It is the 8gb that has the issue as it runs a slightly different version of pi os because of the extra memory, but there is a beta version of octopi which you can download via the forum , which will of course run on the other compatible arms like the 3b+.

But bear in mind octoprint uses about 250MB of memory so unless running multiple instances of octoprint on same pi then 4 or 8gb is over kill. You can run 3 instances of octoprint on a 3b with 1gb without running out of memory.

Edit: link to beta 8gb thread https://community.octoprint.org/t/octop ... -8gb/20670

jonb

Post by jonb » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks! I'll save a few bob then!

Meanwhile the Creality circus rolls on. Latest communique is about how they cannot change addresses if people move house because all the printers are sent. Advises you to get in touch with local couriers. However, it's well known that they do not give tracking numbers out in a timely fashion, if at all. A masterclass in how not to execute customer service! :evil:

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Luckily I haven’t moved. Another Ordering via China gotcha.

scruss

Post by scruss » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Elminster wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am
It is when you add the web cam and add lots of plugins the 2b becomes an issue. That is why the minimum recommend pi by octopi the is now a 3b.
Huh, who knew. I've been running that 2B since 2016 with the camera and a non-trivial number of plugins (16) and never once has it stuttered. I find gcode preview more useful than streaming video. It just uses the stock power supply, too.

I also have a Zero W embedded in my Prusa. Now that is a little slow, but it's reliable. No camera: there's no way to fit one around the Prusa case, and anyway, the Zero W wouldn't be able to stream at all.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:07 am

scruss wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:28 pm
Elminster wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am
Huh, who knew. I've been running that 2B since 2016 with the camera and a non-trivial number of plugins (16) and never once has it stuttered. I find gcode preview more useful than streaming video. It just uses the stock power supply, too.

I also have a Zero W embedded in my Prusa. Now that is a little slow, but it's reliable. No camera: there's no way to fit one around the Prusa case, and anyway, the Zero W wouldn't be able to stream at all.
You are just lucky I guess. The 2b used to be the minimum but lots of issue with print quality, so they upped the minimum to 3b some time ago. Lots of people have issues with 3b+ but I have never had any. Like most thing people shouting in Facebook, Reddit and I rooting forums are only one with broken systems, I am sure many happily working in pi 2s.

Be interesting to see what happens with the zero as the sort of plan now octoprint is gradually moving to python 3 is to start using some of python 3s multi thread over multi core features. As the pi zero isn’t supported by octoprint per sa, interesting that is what Prusa used.

https://community.octoprint.org/t/octop ... guide/4330

jonb

Post by jonb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 am

I got a tracking number this morning..

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am

jonb wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 am
I got a tracking number this morning..
Ditto

jonb

Post by jonb » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:04 am

Elminster.. are you in the 19th Sept batch?

As you know there have been no shipping updates but I've read that some people from this batch have their printers. Now, some EU backers are getting hit with duties, though I think their printers were airfreighted. Creality stated they would refund these charges but have since reneged.

Meanwhile, the raft of known problems with the actual printer gets longer:
  • Various firmware bugs (some of which are being addressed by the community firmware releases)
  • USB burnouts caused by shorts on the main board (check the mini USB plug's soldering)
  • Unprotected USB +5v rail allowing back current from a connected device like a Pi or PC (common issue with Chinese 3D printers, just need to blank or cut the USB +5v line on the cable)
  • Mainboard burnouts which I think are caused by the heatsink by the 24v connector block shorting on some nearby SMD components (I would like to discuss this - I think it can be ameliorated by removing the heatsink and attaching a copper shim to the IC, then the heatsink - or a bigger one even - so that the heatsink is lifted off the board. Creality's solution appears to be more thermal adhesive on assembly which they seem to hope will create an (electrically) insulating barrier.)
  • Flaky power switches (replace with a better component)
That's apart from the need to go through a rather long checklist tightening bolts, nuts, connections and checking the ground. Maybe even cutting the ends off the tinned 24v wires and reconnecting untinned.

Efforts to get service from Creality have been often ignored. Their after sales service is abominable.

We have to hope we are amongst the lucky ones who get a good unit. If so, I read that it's a great printer.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 am

jonb wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:04 am
… Unprotected USB +5v rail allowing back current from a connected device like a Pi or PC (common issue with Chinese 3D printers, just need to blank or cut the USB +5v line on the cable)
Every 3D printer I've ever had does that, including the genuine Prusa and an old PrintrBot. It's a function of using an Arduino-style controller. USB power will light up the controller, but won't power any of the heater circuits because they're run from 12 or 24 V. No cable mods required, I assure you.

The only printer that I find this even mildly annoying on is the Ender 3, where the 5 V back power kind-of triggers PWM on the display. This looks flickery and can make a weird whistling noise.

jonb

Post by jonb » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 pm

The CR6 does the same. Screen starts flickering.

I appreciate this is a different problem to the short circuit that fries the printer mainboard and (reportedly) any connected device (PC or RPi).

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 am

Missed this update.

Forget which batch, but it is in Germany now, so should find out about custom etc. Soon.

I couldn’t be bother mucky about with usb so I just got one of the dongles that doesn’t pass the +5v

I was just going to put the community Marlin 2 firmware on, change the switch if it looked dodgy etc.

jonb

Post by jonb » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Mine has left customs and is in the UPS system - found out this morning by checking the tracking site. It's in the "presumed missing" Sept 9th batch, so I guess it's "presumed found" now.

I'd check the USB port for shorts before plugging anything into it. There's at least one report of it burning out with nothing on the other end of the cable. Yeah, I know, odd! Also check that heatsink over the 24-12v converter by the 24v power block. If it looks like there is adhesive oozing from all sides under the heat sink, it is probably OK; otherwise I'd suggest pulling it and adding a thermal pad to lift the 'sink away from the SMD components.

I plan to cut the red wire in the USB cable to prevent back current, and I already have a couple of replacement switches with a nice positive clicking action. These are the same brand as the dodgy ones though.

Only a few more days! I've been stocking up on filament. All Sunlu - PLA+ and PETG as it was very cheap at a tenner a 1KG roll. The PLA+ was £13 - £16 per; still a good price.

I'm in the Discord group for the firmware and even started tidying up the screen interface code, but as I do not know how the Git workflow works, I could not upload it back to the server - but I sent Sebastien a copy.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:52 am

Mine arrived this morning, but like my first 3D printer I shall probably not get around to using it for a while. Probably leave it till Christmas, as busy in other stuff at the moment.

Which discord, I belong to the marlin from playing with Huxley, or do you mean a specific credulity community discord? Not that I often have time to go in discord.

Return to “off-topic”