Transfer of files into a CP/M disk image MAC

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
MillerMills

Transfer of files into a CP/M disk image MAC

Post by MillerMills » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi all

I've been struggling for sometime trying to find a way to place a load of cpm programs and files onto a z80 second processor cp/m dsd disk image.

I have been trawling the web for several weeks now, with little joy. It appears to be extremely difficult as I'm a MAC user.

So I have the files on the Mac, as a collection of files within a standard folder, and just not sure if it is possible, to copy them onto either a standard BBC or Z80 disk image file, which I would then either convert or run directly within BeebEm (depending on whether its possible to copy files straight into a cpm format disk image or not).

Can anyone shed any light - I would be truly grateful?

I'm also interested to see whether there are any cpm z80 second processor disk images out there for things such as dbase and wordstar?

Best wishes all
Martin

jgharston

Re: Transfer of files into a CP/M disk image MAC

Post by jgharston » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:31 pm

I've got WordPerfect.

I've got CPMFiler which runs on any machine that can run BBCBASIC, but it only exports from CP/M disks and images.

There's RDACORN, GETFILE/PUTFILE, CPMtoBBC/BBCtoCPM and similar tools that run on the CoPro itself to copy files to/from non-CP/M disks on the CoPro itself.

There's CPMFS for RISC OS which is a read/write filing system that supports AcornCPM disks and disk images.

I've got MkTorch which creates Torch CPM disk images on any machine that can run BBC BASIC, in the same vein as MkImg, but at the moment haven't finished the complementary MkCPM.

Probably the simplest thing at the moment is to ZIP up the CP/M files you've got, email them to somebody like myself, and we can manually copy them to to some disk images for you to email back.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:49 am

MillerMills wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 pm
I've been struggling for sometime trying to find a way to place a load of cpm programs and files onto a z80 second processor cp/m dsd disk image ... So I have the files on the Mac, as a collection of files within a standard folder, and just not sure if it is possible, to copy them onto either a standard BBC or Z80 disk image file, which I would then either convert or run directly within BeebEm
I think this is possible in Mac BeebEm as I seem to remember doing it a while ago and mentioning it on this forum -- search for threads in which I've posted and mentioned "Z80".

I can't remember the details of how to use CPM now, unfortunately, but I think the procedure I used at one point was to get the files onto an ordinary DFS disc-image (you can use the standard BeebEm Edit-->Import menu for this), and load that DFS disc-image into drive 1 in BeebEm and then use the DIP command on the Acorn CPM system disc (in drive 0) to copy the files off the DFS disc and onto the system disc, initially, and then from there to a second CPM-format disc by using the PIP command.

I can't promise that any of that stuff I just wrote isn't actually gibberish! My memories of it all are quite vague.

:!:

[EDITed for clarity.]
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:59 am

That rings a bell.
File -> Mount -> Drive 0 -> your destination cp/m disk image with file tools on it
File -> Mount -> Drive 1 -> your source dfs disk image
Boot into CP/M
GETFILE dfs::1.file cpm:A:file
or summut

PIP won't do it, PIP only "sees" CP/M devices.

$ bbcbasic
>_

MillerMills

Post by MillerMills » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks for responding, I very much appreciate it.

Thanks for your suggestion and it does partly solve my problem. The biggest issue I have is how to get the files that are on my Mac in a regular folder (not already in a disk image) into a disk image whether its DFS or CPM to begin with.

Best wishes Martin

MillerMills

Post by MillerMills » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 am

Many thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers of help - really appreciated!

I'll do a few more searches on this forum to see whether its possible to copy files on my Mac onto/into a disk image whether DFS or CPM - something which I think is only achievable with a PC, which I don't have. As I say, I'll do some more searching... All your advice will definitely solve much of the problem, once I have the files in a disk image.

Cheers Martin

MillerMills

Post by MillerMills » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am

jgharston wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:31 pm
I've got WordPerfect.

I've got CPMFiler which runs on any machine that can run BBCBASIC, but it only exports from CP/M disks and images.

There's RDACORN, GETFILE/PUTFILE, CPMtoBBC/BBCtoCPM and similar tools that run on the CoPro itself to copy files to/from non-CP/M disks on the CoPro itself.

There's CPMFS for RISC OS which is a read/write filing system that supports AcornCPM disks and disk images.

I've got MkTorch which creates Torch CPM disk images on any machine that can run BBC BASIC, in the same vein as MkImg, but at the moment haven't finished the complementary MkCPM.

Probably the simplest thing at the moment is to ZIP up the CP/M files you've got, email them to somebody like myself, and we can manually copy them to to some disk images for you to email back.
Thanks for the offer of creating the disk image files - how do I contact you with the zip's?

Cheers
Martin

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am

MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:33 am
The biggest issue I have is how to get the files that are on my Mac in a regular folder (not already in a disk image) into a disk image whether its DFS or CPM to begin with.
You can import files from your Mac desktop onto a DFS disc-image in BeebEm using BeebEm's own Edit-->Import menu.

Or there are other ways and other tools, but they're all a bit more fiddly or awkward on a Mac.

:idea:

MillerMills

Post by MillerMills » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am

lurkio wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am
MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:33 am
The biggest issue I have is how to get the files that are on my Mac in a regular folder (not already in a disk image) into a disk image whether its DFS or CPM to begin with.
You can import files from your Mac desktop onto a DFS disc-image in BeebEm using BeebEm's own Edit-->Import menu.

Or there are other ways and other tools, but they're all a bit more fiddly or awkward on a Mac.

I don't think that feature is working within BeebEm on the Mac or if it is I clearly don't know what I'm doing - which is quite possibly the case #-o

I'll take another shot at it - but in the past, it just did nothing - no messages and no activity...

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 am

MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am
I don't think that feature is working within BeebEm on the Mac or if it is I clearly don't know what I'm doing - which is quite possibly the case #-o

I'll take another shot at it - but in the past, it just did nothing - no messages and no activity...
Edit -> Import files from disc -> Disc 0

That should import the file -- only one file at a time -- from your Mac desktop onto the DFS disc-image in drive zero in BeebEm.

MillerMills

Post by MillerMills » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 pm

lurkio wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 am
MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am

Edit -> Import files from disc -> Disc 0

That should import the file -- only one file at a time -- from your Mac desktop onto the DFS disc-image in drive zero in BeebEm.

Thanks I finally managed to get that to work. I needed to ensure it was a DFS disk image and not a CPM one. It is however painfully slow overall, but its worked on a quick try. Thank you very much appreciated.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:00 pm

MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 pm
It is however painfully slow overall, but its worked on a quick try.
Depending on which bit exactly is slow, you might get some joy if you increase the emulation speed to 50 FPS in BeebEm.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm

MillerMills wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am
Thanks for the offer of creating the disk image files - how do I contact you with the zip's?
Have you got done what you needed?

If you (or anybody else) needs file transfer stuff, email me at jgh (at) mdfs (dot) net. I used to list file transfer services somewhere, probably back on 8bs.

$ bbcbasic
>_

GeoffB17

Post by GeoffB17 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:54 pm

At the top of this thread you expressed an interest in dbase and wordstar. If you're still interested in those packages, then I do have the CP/M version of dBase II (I think specifically version 2.43) and WordStar (not sure what the CP/M version is) but both of these have been working on my Amstrad PCW (CP/M+).

It could be a help to know what the disk capacity is for the images, just in case. As I understand it, these are dfs images, and the specific type within that is dsd which I understand refers to double sided disk. I'm used to the .DSK image files used by Amstrad fans.

Geoff

tingo

Post by tingo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Surely cpmtools run on Mac OS X?
--
Torfinn

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 pm

tingo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 pm