Squiggle?

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

charlewi

Squiggle?

Post by charlewi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi

I was lucky enough to go to a school with a computer lab full of A310's (+1 A440 for the solitary laser printer) back in 1989 and, coming from a BBC Micro / ZX Spectrum background, was blown away by these machines. I've been trying to track down a silly demo called something like 'Squiggle' that allowed you to draw a quick doodle on the screen (I think) and would proceed to fill the screen with deformed representations in lots of colours. Does anyone remember what it was called or have a copy, or is this just a figment of my imagination?

(Thanks)

Kazzie

Re: Squiggle?

Post by Kazzie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm

I may have seen a copy of this yesterday, on an A310 I'm currently restoring (or one of the hard drives that came with it). There was certainly a folder of demos that I stumbled upon.

I'll take a look this evening or tomorrow morning, when I'm back at the machine.
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

jms2

Post by jms2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:57 pm

There used to be all sorts of "nice but inconsequential" demos for Risc OS. Sadly, I don't think they have a natural home any more, and so like a lot of Risc OS software they are in danger of fading away altogether... which is a pity.

paintings

Post by paintings » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm

It's called !Squiggly. It was written by Stuart Cupit in 1989.

If you have access to the Arcade BBS file archive, it's file number 001841 in area 41 (Acorn 32-bit graphics).

Arcade BBS is now sadly offline, but there's a copy on the Wayback Machine.

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 pm

It turns out it wasn't one of the demos I'd seen, anyway. The folder I'd found contains Banthorpe (tubes), Contours, Garden, Guido, Hall, and Pics.

I can upload those, if you're interested.
RiscPC 600 under repair

charlewi

Post by charlewi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am

paintings wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm
It's called !Squiggly. It was written by Stuart Cupit in 1989.

If you have access to the Arcade BBS file archive, it's file number 001841 in area 41 (Acorn 32-bit graphics).

Arcade BBS is now sadly offline, but there's a copy on the Wayback Machine.
That's the one - thanks very much! I would have never found that - or rather known to look at the Arcade BBS - speaking of which what a treasure trove.
Kazzie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 pm
It turns out it wasn't one of the demos I'd seen, anyway. The folder I'd found contains Banthorpe (tubes), Contours, Garden, Guido, Hall, and Pics.

I would be but not if it's any great hassle. I've purchased a number of Archimedes over the years and it's always interesting to see what's installed - it's like a brief window into a past world.

Yes it's a pity parts of the history are slowly degrading, for me more so when websites go AWOL. I wish I'd got into the scene a bit earlier but I guess 40ish is the magic 'nostalgia' age and that wasn't long ago.

Anyway thank you again for the help.

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am

charlewi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 am
Kazzie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 pm

I would be but not if it's any great hassle. I've purchased a number of Archimedes over the years and it's always interesting to see what's installed - it's like a brief window into a past world.
It's no trouble, as they're small enough to fit on a floppy disk. It's a SparkFS archive, but I've stuck a .zip extension on it so the forum software allows me to upload it.
Attachments
demos.zip
(95.84 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
RiscPC 600 under repair

charlewi

Post by charlewi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks for sharing. I found the Zoom assember code useful as a complete beginner.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”