New SCSI Host Adaptor

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
KenLowe

New SCSI Host Adaptor

Post by KenLowe » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Some time ago I mentioned that I was wanting to build a SCSI host adaptor to use with a couple of old SCSI HDDs that I have in storage. I already have one of the drives working with an old Viglen host adaptor, so I know the drives are good and capable (can do 256 byte sectors, specifically).

Anyway, inspired by BeebSCSI, and borrowing the host adaptor design from that project, I have designed a board that will sit just above the 3.5" drive, and the drive / adaptor combo should sit in a 5.25" half height frame without any problem. I've also designed a small board to connect between the SCSI adaptor and the SCSI drive, which should keep everything securely in place.

I'm going to place an order for a few boards with SMT assembly shortly, and wondered if this would be of interest to anyone else? I know it's probably of limited interest, given the various SCSI drive solutions that are now available, but if you like the real retro feel and sound of a spinning drive, then this may just be for you! Costs are probably coming in at about £20 per fully assembled board (including the connector board).
SCSI Adaptor 1.PNG
SCSI Adaptor
SCSI Adaptor Connector 1.PNG
Connector board
20200301_145837.jpg
Template board sitting on top of SCSI drive mounted in 5.25" half height carrier. There is a 3mm thick double sided sticky foam pad on the underside of the board to keep it off the bottom of the drive.
20200301_145749.jpg
Should I use a 5.25" Molex style power connector, or a 3.5" floppy drive style power connector??? Note that the Molex connector is upsides down relative to the SCSI drive connector. The connector board will connect between the SCSI drive and the SCSI host adaptor board, holding it all neatly in place.
20200301_145814.jpg
There should be enough headroom to bring in a 1MHz cable to the back of the adaptor board. Not sure there's enough headroom for a straight vertical 1MHz connector, so although this template shows a vertical connector, I've actually gone with a 90 Deg horizontal connector instead.
Last edited by KenLowe on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

eelco108

Re: New SCSI Host Adaptor

Post by eelco108 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:35 pm

That's a neat solution, and would revive one of my old SCSI disks as well ... I'd be interested in a board (+the connector board)!

egel

Post by egel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:37 pm

I would be interested too.

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am

Plus one for me

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:29 am

I'd be interested in one too.

Steve

jimmoores

Post by jimmoores » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:45 pm

I'd be interested.

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 pm

I'm interested too

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 pm

Okay. That's a bit more interest than I was initially anticipating. I've placed an initial order for a small batch of boards. Once I'm happy they're working correctly, and assuming I get permission from simoni to use and adapt his BeebSCSI implementation, I'll be back in touch with all those who have noted interest.

simoni

Post by simoni » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 am

BeebSCSI software is GPL3 and the board design is CC share-alike - you are allowed to build upon and adapt at will even without my say-so as long as you follow the licensing (which basically says you can do anything you like with both the hardware and software design as long as the result is as open-source as the original).

So you don't need my permission, but you totally have my encouragement :) Looks like it would be a useful board.

egel

Post by egel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:41 am

simoni wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 am
the board design is CC share-alike
Hardware License (Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0)
You have to give appropriate credit to Simoninns somewhere on the board, for example next to your name en provide a link to the license

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:46 am

egel wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:41 am
You have to give appropriate credit to Simoninns somewhere on the board, for example next to your name en provide a link to the license.
I've included the following on the board, which is hopefully in the spirit of the licence:
Attachments
BeebSCSI Logo.PNG
BeebSCSI Logo.PNG (10.34 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:43 am

I think Ken's work is well within the licenses. Except ironically the method for crediting Simon - including Simon's logo kinda implies endorsement which is banned by the CC license Simon linked.

Keep up the good work Ken.

simoni

Post by simoni » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:11 am

I seriously doubt anyone would interpret it as endorsement - I would say the thing to consider is the "spirit of the agreement". From my perspective, the important bit is that derivative projects remain open so other people can build upon any work done. Attribution is important; but that can be a simple mention on github, or something printed on the PCB, etc. It's more to let people know where they can find out more than any need for fame :)

For both GPL and CC there is no need to actually ask for permission as long as you are aware of the license terms; although (personally) I think it's polite and, like Ken, I would do the same thing. Being nice, kind and ethical doesn't require the letter of the law unless you prefix them with "un-" or "not".

In essence we are hobbyists with an interest and it's great when others share that interest - for me that ranges from people who simply want to use something all the way to those that want to dig in and bend things to their own purpose. I also have no problem with people selling the result - stuff costs money and time to make - as long as there is the option to do it yourself if you are so inclined and/or want to learn.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Prototype board arrived today. There's already one issue I know about, even before trying to test it. I managed to accidentally remove one of the tracks between the CPLD and one of the bias resistor blocks :(. I'll try to patch it with some kynar wire, but the solder points are very small, so not sure if I'll actually manage it.

Anyway, I thought I'd post up a couple of pictures with a mock up of how it will look. Ignore the fact that I don't have the correct header spot soldered onto the connector board. I'm waiting for delivery of the correct 2 x 25 headers:
Attachments
20200330_123050.jpg
20200330_122953.jpg
20200330_122937.jpg

eelco108

Post by eelco108 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Still very nice! It all seems to fit well (given the space constraints) ...

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 pm

I've been doing a bit of testing, but it's not quite working, so I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm running a fairly simple setup, and I know the SCSI HDD is working correctly. If I connect the HDD to my old Viglen host adaptor, I can format / read / write to the drive without any problem. Currently I only have a single directory named 'FORMAT' on the drive, and 2 files saved within that directory.

When I hook up my new host adaptor, it appears to boot up fine, and if I do a *DIR, I can see the the 'FORMAT' directory. However, as soon as I try to move into that directory, I consistently get a 'Broken Directory' error:
capture5.png
I suspect it's possibly a termination / loading issue between the CPLD and the SCSI drive. On the SCSI side of the CPLD I've implemented SCSI termination as shown on the SCSI host adaptor circuit diagram. This has 220R pull up to +5v and 330R pull down to 0v on the data and control lines. It's worth me highlighting that the drive will only respond if I remove power from the 220R pull up resistors. If I have power on these resistors, then the beeb will hang at Acorn ADFS on power up.

Do I perhaps need to put some buffering or level shifting between the output of the CPLD, and the SCSI drive to get reliable operation? I'd assumed the 3.3v output from the CPLD would be suitable for driving the HDD signals, but with the SCSI termination, perhaps not. I'm inclined to remove the termination on the SCSI board completely to see what happens. It will be very close coupled to the HDD.

Circuit diagram attached.
SCSIAdaptor.png
Any words of wisdom?

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:41 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 pm
Circuit diagram attached.

Any words of wisdom?
How have you designed the CPLD?

Are happy you have correctly implemented the open collector outputs in the CPLD?

Dave

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 pm

I just lifted the code from the BeebSCSI implementation and remapped I/O onto the 100pin CPLD. I had assumed that since the CPLD (host adaptor) was driving the AVR (SCSI drive) in BeebSCSI, that the CPLD outputs would be suitable for driving the SCSI HDD I/O similarly. Sounds like I perhaps need to do a bit more!

This is what is coded for the IRQ signal:

Code: Select all

// The (not) IRQ line should be tristated.  The line should either be low
	// (when interrupting) or high-Z
	(* NOREDUCE = "TRUE" *)
	wire IRQ;
	assign bbc_nIRQ = (IRQ) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
CPLD coding and programming is all a bit new to me!

If it helps, I've attached the build report from ISE...
Attachments
CPLD Report.txt
(58.69 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:37 am

I had a look through the CPLD code again last night, but couldn't see anything obvious that needed changing. However, I'm a complete amateur at this CPLD verilog coding, so I may be well off the mark.

This morning I decided to remove one bank of SCSI terminating resistors from the board. The ones I removed were the 330R resistors that were tied to GND (as I had no way of isolating these). I left the 220R resistors that are tied to Vcc, as these could be isolated with a jumper. With the 330Rs removed, and 220Rs isolated, the beeb just wouldn't boot. Linking the 220Rs back to Vcc gets the beeb to boot, but it hangs after printing Acorn ADFS. It never gets to the Basic '>' prompt.

If I then link the 220Rs to Gnd, I get more success. The beeb will boot to the Basic '>' prompt, and a *CAT will correctly show the root of the drive as before. This is very consistent. Ctrl-Break does the same. However, as soon as I try to step into the FORMAT directory I get the 'Broken Directory' error. Again, very consistently.
capture6.png
After initial boot
capture7.png
and then moving into FORMAT directory
As before, if I switch back to my original Viglen host adaptor, it all works as expected.
capture8.png
Using Viglen SCSI host adaptor
I'm going to do a bit of low level reading and writing to see if I can establish what's happening, but in the interim any help gratefully received!

I've also added a file to the root of the drive using the Viglen host adaptor. I'll switch over to my new host adaptor to see what happens when I try to read this file...

Edit: And as you can probably tell, I'm loving the screen capture facility of hoglets RGBtoHDMI adaptor!

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Ken,

In the original schematic, SEL, ACK and RST are driven by open-collector buffers. As is the data bus. This is, I think, how SCSI-1 was designed. When the driver is deactivated, the termination resistors return the signal to the high level in a controlled way.

In your CPLD, they are driven by normal push-pull drivers, which is incorrect. In Simon's original source, there are comments to that effect as well:
https://github.com/simoninns/BeebSCSI/b ... pter.v#L39

I'm not convinved this is why you are having problems, but it's something I would try to fix (just to eliminate it as a possibility).

See the bbc_nIRQ signal for an example of how to correctly specify an open-collector output in Verilog.

You might find this document useful: Interface Circuits for SCSI (Texas Instruments)

Dave

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am

What is the current capability of the CPLD pins? You need 23mA sink (per pin) to drive SCSI-1 with a single terminator I think.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am

I had another thought...

The load on the SCSI data lines is quite significant, especially with the termination resistors at each end. When the CPLD is driving all the SCSI datalines and trying to pull them low, it's quite possible you are getting a significant spike of ground bounce that's upsetting other things.

You probably should set the slew rate on all the outputs to SLOW, which will help reduce this ground bounce.

How good is your decoupling?

Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:41 am

cmorley wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am
What is the current capability of the CPLD pins? You need 23mA sink (per pin) to drive SCSI-1 with a single terminator I think.
Xilinx Application Note XAPP150 gives the I/V characterics for many of the Xilinx product families (derived I think from the IBIS simulation models):
xc9500xl_v_i.PNG
In my experience, they can sink a fair bit of current per output.

The gradient on the above graph indicates the driver output impledence, and is about ~22 ohms when pulling low (1V / 45mA).

To work out Vol (the output low voltage) on the SCSI bus you have to consider:
- 220R in parallel with 220R to +5V (== 110R)
- 330R in parallel with 330R in parallel with 22R (== 19.4R)

Then a bit of ohms low gives:
Vol = 5V * 19.4R / (110R + 19.4R) = 0.75V

This a little close to the threshold for my liking:
scsi1_levels.PNG
Ken, it might be worth seeing what these signals look like on a scope during a data transfer.

Dave

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 am

hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am
Hi Ken,

In the original schematic, SEL, ACK and RST are driven by open-collector buffers. As is the data bus. This is, I think, how SCSI-1 was designed. When the driver is deactivated, the termination resistors return the signal to the high level in a controlled way.

In your CPLD, they are driven by normal push-pull drivers, which is incorrect. In Simon's original source, there are comments to that effect as well:
https://github.com/simoninns/BeebSCSI/b ... pter.v#L39

I'm not convinved this is why you are having problems, but it's something I would try to fix (just to eliminate it as a possibility).

See the bbc_nIRQ signal for an example of how to correctly specify an open-collector output in Verilog.
Baby steps:

// assign scsi_nACK = ~scsi_ACK;
	assign scsi_nACK = (~scsi_ACK) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;

// assign scsi_nSEL = ~scsi_SEL;
	assign scsi_nSEL = (~scsi_SEL) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;

//	assign scsi_nRST = bbc_nRST;
	assign scsi_nIRQ = (bbc_nRST) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
Does that look right? Not so sure about the databus. I'll come back to that. It seems to build ok with the changes so far. Not implemented it yet, though.
hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am
I had another thought...

The load on the SCSI data lines is quite significant, especially with the termination resistors at each end. When the CPLD is driving all the SCSI datalines and trying to pull them low, it's quite possible you are getting a significant spike of ground bounce that's upsetting other things.

You probably should set the slew rate on all the outputs to SLOW, which will help reduce this ground bounce.

How good is your decoupling?

Dave
Slew rate now switched to SLOW, I think. I did this in the 'Process Properties - Fitting' window. I've got decoupling. How effective it is I'm not entirely sure!
cmorley wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am
I did wonder if this might be the problem. I had a look at the datasheet, but struggled to find the answer!
Edit. Ah, thank you Dave for the comprehensive answer!

Thanks for the help and pointers so far.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:37 am
I've also added a file to the root of the drive using the Viglen host adaptor. I'll switch over to my new host adaptor to see what happens when I try to read this file...
So, I've now also saved a small basic file to the root of the drive, and this also shows up when I do a *CAT.

If I load the file, I get 'Bad Program' about 70% of the time, but the remaining times it loads correctly. I'm obviously getting some corruption. I've not tried to work out what's being corrupted. I'll implement the open collector and slew rate changes first, and try again.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:54 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 am
Baby steps:

Does that look right? Not so sure about the databus. I'll come back to that. It seems to build ok with the changes so far. Not implemented it yet, though.
I think you have them inverted, you need:

assign scsi_nACK = (scsi_ACK) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
	assign scsi_nSEL = (scsi_SEL) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
	assign scsi_nIRQ = (~bbc_nRST) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
KenLowe wrote:
Slew rate now switched to SLOW, I think. I did this in the 'Process Properties - Fitting' window. I've got decoupling. How effective it is I'm not entirely sure!
Do check the CPLD report to make sure they are now marked as SLOW rather than FAST.

I normally set them explicitely in the .ucf file.

Dave

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am

KenLowe wrote:

I tend to use logical ! rather than bitwise ~ when I am dealing with logical tests. Both will work.

The databus is similar... e.g.

wire [7:0] data_out;
wire [7:0] data_in;
wire dowrite;

assign data_pins[7:0] = (dowrite) ? ~data_out[7:0] : 8'bz;
assign data_in[7:0] = ~data_pins[7:0];

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 pm

cmorley wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am
I tend to use logical ! rather than bitwise ~ when I am dealing with logical tests. Both will work.
Yeah. That's just the convention that was being used in the original code.
cmorley wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am
The databus is similar... e.g.

wire [7:0] data_out;
wire [7:0] data_in;
wire dowrite;

assign data_pins[7:0] = (dowrite) ? ~data_out[7:0] : 8'bz;
assign data_in[7:0] = ~data_pins[7:0];
I think this is already implemented in the code?

// SCSI device databus bidirectional control
	wire [7:0] scsi_nDATA_in;
	wire [7:0] scsi_nDATA_out;

// Here the input and output of the databus needs to be tied together
	// since the Acorn SCSI host adapter will drive the BBC databus output
	// latch from the data in latch if the SCSI bus isn't driven (this is 
	// used by ADFS to detect the presence of the host adapter, so we have
	// to emulate it even if the logic isn't needed for the SCSI).
	assign scsi_nDATA = (scsi_InO) ? scsi_nDATA_out : 8'hZZ;
	assign scsi_nDATA_in = (~scsi_InO) ? scsi_nDATA : scsi_nDATA_out;
Does that look right?

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:21 pm

hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:54 am
I think you have them inverted, you need:

assign scsi_nACK = (scsi_ACK) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
	assign scsi_nSEL = (scsi_SEL) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
	assign scsi_nIRQ = (~bbc_nRST) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
Ok. Just to clarify, is the reason I need to invert because I'm switching to open collector?
hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:54 am
Do check the CPLD report to make sure they are now marked as SLOW rather than FAST.

I normally set them explicitly in the .ucf file.

Dave
I'm not sure how to set them explicitly in the .ucf file, but they do all seem to be marked as SLOW now:

** 22 Outputs **

Signal                                      Total Total Loc     Pin  Pin     Pin     Pwr  Slew Reg Init
Name                                        Pts   Inps          No.  Type    Use     Mode Rate State
bbc_DATA<7>                                 7     17    FB2_5   1    GTS/I/O I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<6>                                 7     17    FB2_6   2    GTS/I/O I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<5>                                 7     17    FB2_8   3    GTS/I/O I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<4>                                 7     17    FB2_9   4    GTS/I/O I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<3>                                 5     16    FB2_12  7    I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<2>                                 7     17    FB2_14  8    I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<1>                                 7     17    FB2_15  9    I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_DATA<0>                                 7     17    FB2_17  10   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
bbc_nIRQ                                    1     1     FB3_6   25   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<0>                               3     3     FB6_2   74   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nCONF                                  2     12    FB6_5   76   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_INTnEXT                                1     1     FB6_6   77   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_nSEL                                   1     1     FB7_14  59   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_nRST                                   1     1     FB7_15  60   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_nACK                                   1     1     FB7_17  61   I/O     O       STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<7>                               3     3     FB8_5   64   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<6>                               3     3     FB8_6   65   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<5>                               3     3     FB8_8   66   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<4>                               3     3     FB8_9   67   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<3>                               3     3     FB8_14  71   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<2>                               3     3     FB8_15  72   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
scsi_nDATA<1>                               3     3     FB8_17  73   I/O     I/O     STD  SLOW 
I'll get these changes programmed onto the CPLD now. I'll probably also need to solder the resistors back on. That might be a bit of a challenge!
Last edited by KenLowe on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:28 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 pm
I think this is already implemented in the code?

// SCSI device databus bidirectional control
	wire [7:0] scsi_nDATA_in;
	wire [7:0] scsi_nDATA_out;

// Here the input and output of the databus needs to be tied together
	// since the Acorn SCSI host adapter will drive the BBC databus output
	// latch from the data in latch if the SCSI bus isn't driven (this is 
	// used by ADFS to detect the presence of the host adapter, so we have
	// to emulate it even if the logic isn't needed for the SCSI).
	assign scsi_nDATA_in = (~scsi_InO) ? scsi_nDATA : scsi_nDATA_out;
Does that look right?
I don't think it is, because during a write scsi_nDATA can still be actively driven high.

Instead of this line:

I think you need something like:

assign scsi_nDATA[7] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[7]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[6] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[6]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[5] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[5]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[4] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[4]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[3] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[3]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[2] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[2]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[1] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[1]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
    assign scsi_nDATA[0] = (scsi_InO & ~scsi_nDATA_out[0]) ? 1'b0 : 1'bZ;
I can't think of a way to achieve this with a single line!

(Hopefully the Xilinx tools won't barf at multiple assignments like this}

Dave

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”