Wanted: Tynesoft disc titles

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
scarybeasts

Wanted: Tynesoft disc titles

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:40 am

Hi,

Continuing on my research into BBC disc protections (with an eye on converting @billcarr's FSDs into HFEs as accurately as possible), I'm after Tynesoft disc titles.

Which ones? Not all Tynesoft titles have the protection that is particularly of interest. But I believe these do:

- Boulderdash (ideal)
- Saigon
- Winter Olympiad
- Indoor Sports

There's an extra complication: at least some of these titles have multiple different disc versions. For example, I recently acquired an Indoor Sports. After trials and tribulations removing an initially unnoticed layer of brown mould from the disc, and cleaning my drive heads yet again, I got the disc loading only to find it is an unprotected version. (I do believe it to be original.)

The discs that have the relevant protection appear to start with a MODE 7 loader screen that suggests the game will "follow shortly" -- it's not the world's quickest loading protection :)

Anyone got any of these they want to sell to a good home?

Cheers
Chris

balladof32

Re: Wanted: Tynesoft disc titles

Post by balladof32 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am

Ian bothams cricket appeared on disc in an official capacity too , although not an easy one to find

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm

balladof32 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am
Ian bothams cricket appeared on disc in an official capacity too , although not an easy one to find
Ian Botham's Test Match was supplied on a 40track disc with no protection

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:15 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm
Ian Botham's Test Match was supplied on a 40track disc with no protection
I'm curious whether protected vs. unprotected Tynesoft discs can be distinguished by appearance alone. I have an unprotected Indoor Sports. From the FSD, it looks like your Indoor Sports is protected. What does your Indoor Sports disc look like? Mine looks like this, a cobbled-together label variety :)
IMG_8051.JPG

Cheers
Chris

balladof32

Post by balladof32 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm

I don't have IS but I can tell you that the Botham label is pretty much identical as the one on that IS shown in the picture there . I'm sure I have some other Tynesoft disc titles so I'll have a look for you when I get a moment . I'm sure you're aware of Saigon and Phantom already .

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am

Indoor Sports.jpg
The black disk with printed label was a "squeaker" when I attempted to load it, however i managed to catalogue it and it contained !BOOT & Welly and reported 0 tracks.
I'm not sure if the white disk was originally intended to be a flippy or whether it's 40/80 compatible anyway...

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 am

Ian Botham's Test Match Label.jpg
Ian Botham's Test Match Label.jpg (12.03 KiB) Viewed 440 times

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am

Boulder Dash.jpg

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 am

balladof32 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm
I'm sure you're aware of Saigon and Phantom already .
Saigon is mentioned in the first post!
Phantom isn't protected.

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am
The black disk with printed label was a "squeaker" when I attempted to load it, however i managed to catalogue it and it contained !BOOT & Welly and reported 0 tracks.
Ok, so it's not possible to tell if a Tynesoft disc is a protected or unprotected version based on its appearance. My black Indoor Sports disc with printed label is unprotected will a fully visible catalog:

IMG_8055.JPG

Cheers
Chris

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Some of the files do have the same names as the disc on bbcmicro.co.uk

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/explore.php?id=1055

but it's impossible to tell if they have the same attributes or indeed if they were ever sourced officially... could be a homemade disc? :?

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:06 pm

If the files have the same load address & length as the following, which is the cracked version of the original, then it's likely the code is the same? :?
Filenames are obviously going to be different!
Indoor Sports.png

Return to “wanted”