Wanted: A310 floppy drive

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
DutchAcorn

Wanted: A310 floppy drive

Post by DutchAcorn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 am

I have an Arc A310 that is a bit hacked up that I’m trying to restore. One of the modifications is a HD podule to support HD drives. To fit the HD drive the front panel was hacked up.
314ABA07-5330-46B9-9A29-E8E21B2ADA51.jpeg
I have a replacement panel but not the drive. So I’m looking for a regular disc drive and the drive button. If you have one please contact me!
Paul

RobC

Re: Wanted: A310 floppy drive

Post by RobC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 am

CJE Micros have them but they're not cheap.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:19 am

RobC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 am
CJE Micros have them but they're not cheap.
Thanks for checking Rob, £70+p&p would be ok, if it would be shipped with an A310 around it. Looking for more hobby friendly options. :wink:
Paul

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:51 am

DutchAcorn wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:19 am
Thanks for checking Rob, £70+p&p would be ok, if it would be shipped with an A310 around it.
:D :D

It does list the exact part number - might be worth checking a well known auction site from time to time.

I think the BBC Master Compact may have the same drive but with a black fascia?

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:35 am

I don't recall there being anything special about the drives, I believe they're just DD Citizen's and shouldn't cost more than £10 second hand.

Only thing to be aware of is you might need to pull the READY line high when a floppy is inserted, otherwise it won't be recognised.

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 am

sirbod wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:35 am
I don't recall there being anything special about the drives, I believe they're just DD Citizen's and shouldn't cost more than £10 second hand.
I think DutchAcorn is after the correct drive to fit the original A305/A310/A440 fascia. Later Arcs have standard sized cut-outs so any drive can be slotted in.

Agree that others can be made to work if you're don't mind how it looks (but that seems to be what DutchAcorn already has). For those who want more details, there's a good guide here: http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/volume ... /index.htm

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm

RobC wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 am
I think DutchAcorn is after the correct drive to fit the original A305/A310/A440 fascia. Later Arcs have standard sized cut-outs so any drive can be slotted in.
I'm sure the two A-series I have here use normal floppies with the front fascia removed. The eject button may be a specific size, I don't recall off hand.

What's shown in the OP picture is the later panel that takes normal floppy drives, with the fascia. I'm now confused as to which he's after.

When I get a chance, I'll take some photos of the various flavours of Arc fascia and floppy drive used.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 pm

sirbod wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm
I'm sure the two A-series I have here use normal floppies with the front fascia removed. The eject button may be a specific size, I don't recall off hand.
The original A310 eject button is indeed an unusual size - it's far more elongated than those found on a typical 3.5" drive.
sirbod wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm
What's shown in the OP picture is the later panel that takes normal floppy drives, with the fascia. I'm now confused as to which he's after.
He also mentions that he's got hold of an original panel to replace the hacked one shown in the picture. I guess this is the motivation for wanting an original drive.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 am

The panel shown in the photo is not a later version; it is an original front with rectangular holes cut out by a previous user to take HD floppy drives.

The A4xx series have facia that were designed to fit complete drives; I suppose I could use one of those (if I had a spare A4xx front, which I don’t).

I don’t recall ever seeing an A310 with a A4xx front panel, but they may be out there.

As mentioned, I do have a spare original front panel. The floppy drive buttons on the A310 seem to be custom made for these panels, but regrettably I don’t have one of those buttons spare.

Different 3.5” drives came with different eject buttons / button mechanisms. I guess if I could find the specific Sony model that is specified by CJE it would fit after removing the front, but for other models I’m not so sure.

So I’m looking for a known-to-fit drive and the eject button.
Paul