Setting up bbcmicro.co.uk on your PC

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Setting up bbcmicro.co.uk on your PC

Post by pau1ie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am

Lurkio showed an interest in helping with the bbcmicro.co.uk website, so I thought I would take the opportunity to try to make things easier for new contributors.

I created a wiki page at on Github with some instructions.

It does work, but the resulting website is missing the images and screenshots which aren't stored in the repository. I hope to create scripts to populate these in the next few days.

So if anyone who is interested could try these instructions and report how they get on I would be grateful.
Last edited by pau1ie on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pau1ie

Re: Setting up bbcmicro.co.uk on your PC

Post by pau1ie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Now I have added in a script to copy the disc images and the screenshots into the correct places. I also made it download the latest jsbeeb into the correct place. There might be a few minor issues, but I am pretty happy with it.

I will wait for comments.

sweh

Post by sweh » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 pm
Now I have added in a script to copy the disc images and the screenshots into the correct places. I also made it download the latest jsbeeb into the correct place. There might be a few minor issues, but I am pretty happy with it.

I will wait for comments.
Are these new tmp files regularly re-created? If so that would seem to make the "archdl.php" process superfluous now :-)
Rgds
Stephen

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am

sweh wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 pm
Are these new tmp files regularly re-created?
They are the files created by the archdl process. This relies on someone having run the process recently enough, but since the database is 6 months old in the repository I expect it will be fine.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 am

pau1ie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am
sweh wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 pm
Are these new tmp files regularly re-created?
They are the files created by the archdl process. This relies on someone having run the process recently enough, but since the database is 6 months old in the repository I expect it will be fine.
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying there. Are you saying that within the last six months there haven't been any new (or modified, or updated) disc-images uploaded to bbcmicro.co.uk? Because that's incorrect.

(Lee and Mick (and I) have been continually working on quite a few of the disc-images in the archive, and uploading new ones. Mick has documented most (if not all) of the changes in his "30th Anniversary" thread.)

:?:

leenew

Post by leenew » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am

I have added hundreds and hundreds of images in the last 6 months, and in fact I am about 7 months in front of Mick in this regard! :lol:

Lee.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am

lurkio wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 am
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying there.
I think Lurkio and Lee's questions and comments arise from confusion as to what we are trying to achieve by this exercise. Please remember that the purpose of this thread is to discuss setting up a development environment. This allows the developer to change code on their desktop and see how it affects the way the site works. It uses the copy of the database from the repository. Updating this copy is a manual process. The last time I updated it was six months ago in February.

The git repository is a repository of code. The database structure is code, the data within it is data and shouldn't really belong in the repository, but I put it in anyway because it is small and easy. Keeping it up to date isn't a priority, so long as the structure is correct, which it is.

The screenshots are large as are the disc images, they are data and don't belong in the code repository. Also potentially a copyright holder could ask for a disc image to be purged which is difficult in git due to it's versioning, so it could cause problems including them in a repository.

Should a developer wish to test some new code, it is pretty much impossible without having some data in the system. The six months old copy of the database is fine for this, but having no screen shots, makes the site looks weird. No disc images means there are (almost) no play buttons, and jsbeeb can't be tested. To fix this I download the zip files as sweh noticed and populate the screen shots and files. We end up with the web site roughly as it was six months ago (Though with the later code and latest jsbeeb).

This is absolutely fine for development. It is not meant to be a comment on the value of Lee's work over the last six months (For which I am extremely grateful). It is also not meant to be a way to back up and restore the website, though at a pinch it probably could be used in this way.

So in answer to your question Lurkio, No I am not saying the site hasn't been updated in the last six months.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am
Please remember that the purpose of this thread is to discuss setting up a development environment.
My memory isn't so bad that I've already forgotten that (yet!). What threw me was the mention of "six months", but I think you've clarified that now.
pau1ie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am
in answer to your question Lurkio, No I am not saying the site hasn't been updated in the last six months.
So, as I understand it, it's the copy of the data -- the data that populates the tables in the database -- that's six months old, which is fine for dev purposes, as you say.

:?:

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 pm

lurkio wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm
t's the copy of the data -- the data that populates the tables in the database -- that's six months old,
Exactly