Should the search box be selected

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Should the search box be selected

Post by pau1ie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:42 am

I have had a request via email asking me that the search box be selected when the site is first loaded, so you can start typing your search immediately without having to click.

It was suggested that this should only be the case if there were no parameters to the page, because it might interfere with scrolling.

What do you think? If nobody objects I think I will try it to see how it works.

richardtoohey

Re: Should the search box be selected

Post by richardtoohey » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:19 am

I usually do that for login pages but that's a bit different - you HAVE to start typing to login, whereas with a search you don't.

Looks like the *. forums wait for you to click in the search box.

I think you've got the right answer - give it a go and see how it works. And remember you can't please all the people all the time. :D

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 am

My personal feeling is that most of the time I come here to read the posts** rather than search so auto selecting search would be not be the right thing to do for me.....

** I often select quick links ->new posts, there used to be a direct link for this, but it moved after one of the software upgrades, not a problem really tho.

Cheers.

Phill.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am

Are we talking about the search box on the bbcmicro.co.uk website home page?

Personally, I would prefer not to have an ‘optional’ Box like the search preselected myself.

Mark

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Prime wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 am
I come here to read the posts
Um...
1024MAK wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am
Are we talking about the search box on the bbcmicro.co.uk website home page?
Yes - Sorry for not making myself clearer! Looks like we have lukewarm interest at best in changing it though. I think I will leave it as is unless we get lots of support to change it.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 pm

I haven't used bbcmicro.co.UK on my phone much recently, but I just tried to search and no search box - how do I search on a phone now?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 pm

tricky wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 pm
I haven't used bbcmicro.co.UK on my phone much recently, but I just tried to search and no search box - how do I search on a phone now?
What phone and browser are you using?

There should be a Search button near the top right-hand corner of the homepage.

:?:

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:00 am

Same phone that I have been using for years :)
Elephone G4
Android 4.4.2
Browser is the built-in one for 4.4.2
I seem to remember that the top part of the screen scrolled left to show the search box, but this doesn't happen now. Same in portrait or landscape, mobile or desktop view.
Only theenu button is top right.
PS my workaround is to use Google.
Last edited by tricky on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am

I get the search box on my iPhone . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 am

I'm sure it is only old browsers (used by grumpy old men?) that will have this problem and as I say, Google will find stuff, so probably not important.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am

I'd agree that an optional box like search shouldn't be selected automatically (unless it's a search engine or similar of course) but the caret should go somewhere.

There are plenty of websites where a keyboard input is needed - say on a log in page, as has been mentioned - and the cursor is either nowhere, or in the wrong place. I still use the keyboard for navigation as much as possible, tab, shift-tab, space, arrows, shift arrows, backspace, CTRL shortcuts, F6 etc. and usually when you get to a log in page it's about 100 tabs to get the cursor in the box!

I think this would have benefits in terms of accessibility as well.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am

I thought the same as tricky when I first tried it (iPhone 6 IOS) but on swivelling to landscape, it is there and it becomes visible. In portrait, you can see the search button by dragging the screen down but you can’t actually use it because it just springs back up out of sight when you release the drag.

Portrait.....

3619E915-6898-44D0-890C-8A74EDDD4CA3.png

Landscape......

1EA1F444-6CA1-4A35-898E-C292E47356E3.png

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 am

MartinB wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am
I thought the same as tricky when I first tried it (iPhone 6 IOS) but on swivelling to landscape, it is there and it becomes visible. In portrait, you can see the search button by dragging the screen down but you can’t actually use it because it just springs back up out of sight when you release the drag.
Ah, thanks for that, Martin! I wasn't able to observe that behaviour on my iPhone, possibly because it's a 6s Plus, which has a larger screen, and the bbcmicro.co.uk Search button is always visible in portrait mode and behaves as intended.

We should probably look into trying to fix this, but first I think we need to look at getting the PHP, SQL and JS code into a new bbcmicro.co.uk repository on the Stardot Github. There are a few other tweaks being worked on at the mo, mainly by Richard Toohey, who's trying to integrate the newest version of JSBeeb onto bbcmicro.co.uk, and I think we ultimately need one "official" place where we can consolidate all the code that makes up bbmicro.co.uk.

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:18 am

I would agree with this Chet,
Am I right in thinking that people are tinkering with live code at the minute, and we do not have an official backup anywhere? :shock:

Lee.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am

leenew wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:18 am
Am I right in thinking that people are tinkering with live code at the minute, and we do not have an official backup anywhere?
Well, Paul has obviously done most of the work on the site code, but Richard has also made some small tweaks -- tweaks that are separate from his current ongoing experiments to integrate the latest version of JSBeeb.

Therefore I'm not sure that there's a good backup or repo of the live site code in its entirety.

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am

Eek! :o

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 pm

leenew wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am
Eek! :o
I should clarify that I think that the server is backed up automatically, every so often. So hopefully any catastrophic failures can be recovered from.

But I think that what's missing is a source-code control repo for all the bbcmicro.co.uk site code in its current state. The Stardot Github is probably the best place for such a thing.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm

lurkio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 pm
what's missing is a source-code control repo
As it says on the website
I'm happy to move it to the stardot group if anyone who is willing to make a commit prefers.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm
As it says on the website
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. But as I said in a previous post:
lurkio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am
Paul has obviously done most of the work on the site code, but Richard has also made some small tweaks -- tweaks that are separate from his current ongoing experiments to integrate the latest version of JSBeeb.
Richard's tweaks (in which I'm not including his current ongoing JSBeeb integration work) aren't included in your personal Github repo, Paul -- as far as I'm aware.

So it's your-repo-plus-Richard's-tweaks that I'm proposing should be put in a Stardot repo, in order to capture the current status of the bbcmicro.co.uk site code, which is slightly different from what's in your personal repo, Paul -- albeit that the differences are only small at the moment, but in future others may tweak the site code some more, and I'm thinking that we need somewhere to capture their contributions effectively.

Last edited by lurkio on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:10 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm
I'm happy to move it to the stardot group if anyone who is willing to make a commit prefers.
Well, I haven't really used webdev tools in anger, as they say, but I know enough to be dangerous! So if that counts, then I for one am willing to make a commit and would prefer the site code to be stored in a Stardot Github repo, unless there are any strong objections from anyone.

I'm not opposed to leaving it all in your personal repo, Paul, and letting other contributors submit Pull Requests, but I just thought that rather than trying to organise that now, and retrospectively integrating any already live changes into your repo, why not just take the opportunity to bring the site code "home" to a Stardot Github repo instead..?

:?:

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm

The discussion seems to have deviated somewhat from the original title...
lurkio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:10 pm
I for one am willing to make a commit
I suppose I meant anyone willing to work on the code. Any member of stardot could fork it to the stardot repo, but it's kind of pointless if nobody is going to use it.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:14 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm
The discussion seems to have deviated somewhat from the original title...
I'm happy for the mods to split the thread if they want to.
pau1ie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm
lurkio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:10 pm
I for one am willing to make a commit
I suppose I meant anyone willing to work on the code. Any member of stardot could fork it to the stardot repo, but it's kind of pointless if nobody is going to use it.
I am willing to work on the code. I'm limited in how much I can do right now because I'm not familiar with any of the code yet, and I'm not desperately wanting to go in and tinker with anything specific straight away, but at some point I'd like to better understand the code of the site I've been one of the two main users of for all this time, and perhaps even help to improve it in some small way!

Of course, there's still the issue of a server login, which I don't currently have. So we'd have to see if the admins would be willing to give me access first.

But re your concern that "nobody is going to use it [a Stardot Github repo for bbcmicro.co.uk]" -- well, given that Richard has already made modifications to the code and is currently in the middle of making further mods to try and get the latest JSBeeb integrated into the site, I was actually hoping that he might be the first user. But even if he isn't, then, as I say, I myself hope to be able to use the repo at some point too.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm

If you are serious about getting involved in development I am willing to walk you through setting up a development environment. Enough to get you started testing changes to the code. I'd want it to be done in such a way as anyone can benefit. Ill probably end up putting instructions in a wiki, and refining them as you discover mistakes, and maybe writing some scripts to ease the pain.

You don't need access to the server to make changes, only to release the code. As you will remember I didn't get access till after I had written the code and it had its first release. Even then Richard did the first release, so there is plenty to be getting on with.

I think the people doing the work (Richard and me so far) are best placed to decide which tools they want to use. I'm happy to support you or anyone else in becoming one of these. Once this happens you will have a better understanding of the workflow and thus better placed to make improvements.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:01 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 am
the caret should go somewhere.

I think this would have benefits in terms of accessibility as well.
Do you have any comments specific to bbcmicro.co.uk? I tried tabbing and as you say it is a lot of tabs to get to the search box. I was advised by a UX expert to move the search box to the top of the page, that would naturally mean fewer tabs to get to it. But then Id have to move the other search controls, and probably make them behave more consistently. This starts to seems like a rewrite which would be better done in a proper framework.... It all gets a bit daunting!

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:41 am

lurkio wrote:Ah, thanks for that, Martin! I wasn't able to observe that behaviour on my iPhone, possibly because it's a 6s Plus, which has a larger screen....
In case it matters, mine is actually a 6s which is slightly larger than a 6 but I think still smaller than your Plus.

Anyway, not that I know anything about the coding side of this but in terms of my not seeing the button in portrait mode, it does simplistically appear to me that if the page title, "Complete BBC Micro Games Archive" were a little shorter, the black title box wouldn't then expand in height to two 'rows' and hence wouldn't obscure the search button? (The black header box is only one 'row' deep in landscape mode.)

I may be talking bahooliocks but thought I'd make the observation anyway.... :)

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:46 am

Every time I've tried tweaking the title or font ... something somewhere breaks or screws up something else ... welcome to the modern web #-o ](*,)

It was much easier in the old days ...

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:55 am

pau1ie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm
If you are serious about getting involved in development I am willing to walk you through setting up a development environment.
I am of course serious. (This hasn't all been an elaborate hoax!)

I'll PM you.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 am

richardtoohey wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:46 am
Every time I've tried tweaking the title or font ... something somewhere breaks or screws up something else ... welcome to the modern web #-o ](*,)
Richard, thanks for the work you're doing on bbcmicro.co.uk.

I wonder whether we should defer fixing the Search button visibility issue for now? I know you're busy with the JSBeeb stuff at the moment. And perhaps once I myself have a better understanding of the code -- which Paul has kindly offered to help me get up and running with -- then I might be able to assist.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm

lurkio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm
Richard's tweaks (in which I'm not including his current ongoing JSBeeb integration work) aren't included in your personal Github repo, Paul -- as far as I'm aware.
I went through the code on the website. Are these tweaks the change of
Single player
on the games.php page to
Single Player
You will be relieved to know I have now included this in my repo.

Phew!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 am

pau1ie wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm
I went through the code on the website. Are these tweaks the change of
Single player
on the games.php page to
Single Player
You will be relieved to know I have now included this in my repo.
Phew!
I think there's at least one other minor change missing from your repo too, but it was more the principle of the thing I was getting at: i.e. I didn't want disjoint repos to start slowly drifting out of sync. But, obviously, there's nothing to worry about too much right now, I hope.

Thanks for the how-to dev guide. I'll get onto it shortly.