ZX Spectrum next... Anybody backing ?

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages

JudgeBeeb

Re: ZX Spectrum next... Anybody backing ?

Post by JudgeBeeb » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:38 am

ZX Spectrum Next wrote: SPANTAN6
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:50 pm

finally getting close, ~7weeks away, unless WWIII starts...

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/023/89 ... acb6273fbb

Last edited by northernbob on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattyj

Post by mattyj » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 am

I'm backing! It's looking good. I doubt i'll ever use it. It'll be nice to have though!

MrEe

Post by MrEe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 am

I’m backing. I also bought the board, so got to play with it early. Really impressive what the guys have done. I’ve even managed to code a simple Z80 based game for it using the pasmo Z80 compiler and runs everything flawlessly. Can’t wait for the fully finished machine.

BrokenARM

Post by BrokenARM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Although this project is very late in delivering, it is still on-track to be released and I'm one of the excited backers.

This year is looking much more promising for Spectrum Next... finally..
Last edited by BrokenARM on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm

ive been kicking their arses about the delays, but they seem determned to act like a charity and release a `perfect` product. utterly insane way to manage the project, but the folkin charge have massive egos, and intend to do it only one way. So basically the muppets just keep everyone waiting.....id much rather see an imperfect product relsease and then updated over time.......they never heard of internet patches!?

The damn computer is modular, things couple be swopped out. Anyway, without going into full on rant mode.

if they manage to not bugger it up anymore, should be released by sep.....Image
Attachments
731020cc07ff83ce6b7e9a03b4ebe6c3_original.jpg

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:45 pm

i have to share this vid, as its great to see this lads enthusiasm. us brits can get jaded and cynical at times )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0GI8VHutw

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Plenty of rants over here, and some actual useful information...
⚠️WARNING⚠️ linked thread includes some of my views....

Mark

BeebSteve

Post by BeebSteve » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 pm

I avoided joining this kickstarter as I was still livid by the despicable Vega+ indiegogo fiasco. But now.. well, I'm wishing I'd ordered one.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Plenty of rants over here, and some actual useful information...
Thats cool... but whats more cool is the love heart style 'like' reaction button... Where's ours?? :D

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 pm

marcusjambler wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm
Thats cool... but whats more cool is the love heart style 'like' reaction button... Where's ours?? :D
Any change in any feature of the board results in the admins/mods having to pipe all their PMs to /dev/null for at least 6 months, at least some of which is spent by both users, and admins/mod, rocking in the corner and crying to themselves.

d.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm

<3

Cheers D... No one wants to see that :D
Last edited by marcusjambler on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm

BeebSteve wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 pm
I avoided joining this kickstarter as I was still livid by the despicable Vega+ indiegogo fiasco. But now.. well, I'm wishing I'd ordered one.
Best plan is to wait IMO. You only need to look at the Elite Spectrum, Vega and the C64 Mini to see the kind of rubbish you can end up lumbered with. Best to wait. If other projects are anything to go by, once the fuss has died down there will be a slew of unopened and unwanted machines hitting Ebay/Cash Converters.

soviet

Post by soviet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm

The zx spectrum next is quite cool and very nice case, but i prefer the zx evolution.

Purchased it a few years ago and is a lot of fun, also is not just an fpga have a 14mhz real z80, ide, floppy, expansion slots, serial ,parallel can take ps/2 keyboard an mouse or use a real zx spectrum keyboard, sdcard, 2 Sinclair joystick ports and kempston joystick support, 4 megs of ram etc. Have software support for a lot of the Russian bizarre software.

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... oard-10849

BeebSteve

Post by BeebSteve » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm
BeebSteve wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Best plan is to wait IMO. You only need to look at the Elite Spectrum, Vega and the C64 Mini to see the kind of rubbish you can end up lumbered with. Best to wait. If other projects are anything to go by, once the fuss has died down there will be a slew of unopened and unwanted machines hitting Ebay/Cash Converters.
What's wrong with the c64 mini? I thought it was supposed to be decent?

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm

BeebSteve wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm

What's wrong with the c64 mini? I thought it was supposed to be decent?
When I reviewed it I found it laggy (even after the firmware update) and couldn't do anything a Pi could do far better. The included joystick was a total joke as well. Will stick with the real thing or a Pi.
Last edited by chinnyhill10 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 am

finally showing some sort of integration between the next and the pi....

https://youtu.be/gPPmXKW5nkU

Hopefully this can be developed over time.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am

While I don't do Spectrum Retro (Or RetroModern in the case of the Next I suppose), I did own a Spectrum +2 for longer than I owned my Electron (but that was mainly because all my friends had spectrums so I jumped ship). That would have been an amazing feature BITD. Now we just need someone to do it with the Beeb somehow.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

(That is, tape images on sdcard fed from a Pi into a micro (by audio? Or by DMA? Could be a role for Dominic's 1MHz Pi))

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am

Not audio as they said it doesn't suffer issue that Tzxdunio suffers. I am sure UART was mentioned.

Edit: Says Loaded directly into PI Memory, decoded and then transferred digitally back to the Next.
Last edited by Elminster on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm

The “tape” signals used by some home computers are essentially digital pulses. Hence it is possible to transfer (load/save etc.) without going via analogue audio levels. Of course, not very practical for existing machines, as it would require modifications to their circuitry.

Think of it as a serial bit stream, but with variable pulse lengths.

Mark

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:28 am

someone somewhere mentioned running cpm on the next, but i have no idea where that project got to...if very far.

HOWEVER i just found this vid.......https://youtu.be/UZo6REwS9Rg

its tuff to follow lol

However i wondered if his mmu system, could be emulated on the pi ? doesnt the pitube system work off dhared memory space ?

gl with his accent )

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:03 am

lol i see they reinvented the hyperloader.....months of my life trying to get doomdarks revenge loaded /shudder

https://youtu.be/4jRlmcQR_OQ

take a look )

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 am

If it makes it to wild I seriously like the look of the Mega65. It would scratch the commadore itch, has the modern ways to get software in to it, hdmi and all the c64 and c65 modes.

If course it also runs its FPGA 4502 core at 48mhz, vic IV graphics capable of 256 colour, loads of ram and other stuff that make it a very modern experience. I guess kinda what the bloke wants for his replacement for the c64 and more but isn’t sticking to must be a real cpu.

Ok maybe I’ll be priced well out when it makes market proper but still think it’s a brilliant idea and a lot of work seems to be going into it to make it a great experience.

jregel

Post by jregel » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:00 am

mr-macrisc wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 am
If it makes it to wild I seriously like the look of the Mega65. It would scratch the commadore itch, has the modern ways to get software in to it, hdmi and all the c64 and c65 modes.

If course it also runs its FPGA 4502 core at 48mhz, vic IV graphics capable of 256 colour, loads of ram and other stuff that make it a very modern experience. I guess kinda what the bloke wants for his replacement for the c64 and more but isn’t sticking to must be a real cpu.

Ok maybe I’ll be priced well out when it makes market proper but still think it’s a brilliant idea and a lot of work seems to be going into it to make it a great experience.
It does look interesting. I can see my retro desk getting filled with a Spectrum Next (if/when they do a second run), a Commander X16 and perhaps the Mega65.
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:10 pm

BigEd wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am
(That is, tape images on sdcard fed from a Pi into a micro (by audio? Or by DMA? Could be a role for Dominic's 1MHz Pi))
point me at that thread plz....keep forgetting to read up on this (

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:40 pm

northernbob

Post by northernbob » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:20 pm

am troubled in my waters....

some of the leading devs on the next are rejecting the copro idea, which is a bit disturbing.
think the tube interface makes more sense when the relative processing power of the native 6502 and the co-processor are not too far apart. Then the co-processor is not being io starved and artificially slowed down.
The situation today with the pi is that the pi is much faster than the z80 and the peripheral set plus native os on the pi is much more sophisticated. I think a tube-like interface would actually slow down the pi considerably while it waits for the z80 to respond since the volume of data from much faster processor goes up. Using the existing uart you could still operate this way with message passing using a 2mbps serial link. This is almost 200 KB per second. The original bbc tube was slower than this I think but was also message passing using a parallel 8-bit data bus. The pi peripheral set, though not always well documented, gives opportunity to exchange data at the hardware level which is what we would like to access. This is much higher speed than possible with the cpu at the software or os level. That's kind of where we are looking now.
would anyone involved in the tube project, care to analyse that thinking, my gut tells me there are some hoes in it? No point in me guessing tho...

thoughts plz?

edit, for clarity....
We are not going to follow what was done on the beeb because just leaving the pi as a native arm gets you the best of what is possible. However, that doesn't really get in the way of someone wanting to emulate other processors on the pi and exchange messages. At the moment the next and pi mainly communicate through a uart connected to a pi shell so you have a text terminal interface to the pi. You could run cpu emulators, send basic or other code for execution, etc, and receive output back also via the uart. The uart can run at up to 2mbps.
The beeb tube interface is integrated into bbc basic hooks and that does not exist now in nextzxos. There is a plan, subject to fpga space, for the hardware and the pi to be further integrated to exchange more things without cpu involvement.

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”