Trouble formatting a floppy .dsd on my Gotek

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
rph

Trouble formatting a floppy .dsd on my Gotek

Post by rph » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi
I'm probably being super dense but I've been trying to format a floppy blank.dsd on my Gotek. I've copied the code exactly from the book (and every variation). I can write files to it fine but thought it would be also able to format discs on it. I've seen that mentioned.
Any help appreciated as I'm not getting anywhere. I've searched through the forum for this but maybe it's too basic (pun intended) a question.
IMG_20190625_205928176.jpg

danielj

Re: Trouble formatting a floppy .dsd on my Gotek

Post by danielj » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:12 pm

What version of DFS do you have? FORMat is only built into the 1770 DFSs (2.1 etc)...
d.

rph

Post by rph » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

DFS 1.20
Would this mean I can't format discs? I've been able to remove files using *DELETE **.
Not too big a deal, good to know I wasn't doing something wrong.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 pm

With DFS 1.2 you will need a 3rd party formatter.

I believe mdfs.net has a copy of a BASIC program you can use to format discs.

If you have or can get Disc Doctor or Advanced Disc Transfer (ADT) on ROM they both have a format command built in and will work with a GOTEK.

Failing that move the USB stick with the DSD floppy image on it and load it into BeebEm on a PC and format it from there and then put it into your GOTEK again.
- John

rph

Post by rph » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks, stuck with using my wifes mac or completely locked down PC at work though. Not sure how to source the ROM either. Will just have to keep a blank .dsd and copy that whenever needing a new formatted disc.
Thanks for you help

rph

Post by rph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am

Maybe someone knows, would this work on a series 7 BBC? Does whatever is needed come as standard?
Would a floppy drive work properly as well?
Thanks

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:41 am

No. It doesn't matter what revision of board you have. You need to get hold of some formatting software, either on a utility ROM or on disk.

I'm sure there's a ssd disk image on this board with the necessary software that you could copy over to your GoTek. You could then run this software and switch to the GoTek disk image you want to format before starting the format.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:59 am

The only machines that will work "out of the box" are the master or (I think?) B+.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:18 am

Ok. Download this:

download/file.php?id=8351

Unzip, and copy the .ssd file over to the USB stick you're using in your GoTek. Select this disk on your GoTek using the rotary knob or buttons on the GoTek, and press Shift-Break on the beeb to boot the disk. Select Option O to load the formatting utility. Select the disk you want to format on your GoTek (again, using the rotary knob or buttons on the GoTek) and then on the beeb, select Drive 0 to format a .ssd disk, or select 0 to format side 0 of a .dsd disk and 2 to format the other side of the .dsd disk.

rph

Post by rph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:33 am

That's brilliant, will give that a go.

If I bought a floppy drive (just for fun and to show students) would this work as the gotek does at the moment ie load fine and able to delete files from but not able to format? Don't want to buy something I can't show working to students.
Thanks

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:39 am

Yes. A real floppy drive will work in exactly the same way, but in fact might be a little bit more difficult for you format a disk, since you need to either type in a formatting program on the beeb (or load from tape), or already have a disk / utility ROM with the formatting software on it. With the GoTek, you can at least just download a disk image with the formatting software and copy that over to your USB stick.

rph

Post by rph » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 am

I'm assuming then I will just be able to delete from discs rather than format. Ta

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:03 am

If you don't have a a format utility on disk or ROM, then it will be difficult to format a disk (you can do it, you just need to type in a program or load from tape as I suggested earlier). The delete function is an integral utility on the DFS ROM, so you will be able to delete files without needing any further disks or ROMs.

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:16 am

In the PC zone, thinking of 1.44Mb floppy discs, but bear with me
Back in the mists of time, you bought blank unformatted floppies.
Then (in the PC age), you bought preformatted floppies

Then after nearly 20 years later, along comes the gotek, and everyone goes back to using "unformatted floppies" again.
Surely the more intelligent idea would be to fill the USB device with a set of empty formatted disc images, and then play with them.
In other words, as a one off task, create a formatted blank .ssd/.dsd image, then duplicate it.

Or am I missing something here?

/john