Sold Out: New ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
MartinB

Re: FS: New ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

Post by MartinB » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Mine arrived yesterday but was left with a neighbour so I've just retrieved it! :)

Looks absolutely fantastic Ken, a real credit to your dedication and professionalism =D> 8)

Thing is though, I've become terribly distracted by the 'free with every order' packet of Haribo so sod the Integra-B, I'm off to deal with the tantalising Starmix first.... \:D/ :D

New from Ken.JPG

Last edited by MartinB on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenLowe

Re: FS: New ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B - SOLD OUT

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 pm

That's this first batch sold out. I've got another 5 boards available that I could build if there's enough interest. Please note interest below, and I'll see what I can do.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:38 pm

That's me shipped to everyone. Once you've had a chance to install and use, please feedback any comments / suggested improvements to me. If the board doesn't appear to work on initial boot, please try [CTRL] [@] [BREAK] which should give you the option to reset the board and clear the memory.

Thanks
Ken.
Last edited by KenLowe on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

markrwj

Post by markrwj » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi Ken - a bit slow to respond but I would take one if you build the remaining 5 boards.

Thanks

Mark

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 pm

markrwj wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm
Hi Ken - a bit slow to respond but I would take one if you build the remaining 5 boards.

Thanks

Mark
Ok. I've got a bit of spare time later this week, so I'll build up and test a board for you with the aim of having it ready before the weekend. I'll PM you shortly with payment details.

Thanks
Ken.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:02 pm

I built up another couple of boards over the Easter weekend if anyone's still interested getting one. I'll give it a couple of days here, before posting them on ebay. Running short on PCBs now, and not sure if I should order up a second batch. :-k :-k

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:02 pm
Running short on PCBs now, and not sure if I should order up a second batch. :-k :-k
I imagine the PCBs are not cheap so I'd take names and order more PCBs if interest got over a sensible threshold.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:09 am

Since i can't repair my WE RAMROM board, and seems you made a new batch...
Interested in one Integra + 32k RAM!
How much is shipping cost to Italy?

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:57 am

aotta wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:09 am
Since i can't repair my WE RAMROM board, and seems you made a new batch...
Interested in one Integra + 32k RAM!
How much is shipping cost to Italy?
That was just in time. I was just about to post them up on ebay at a higher price! I'll send PM with details.
Just to be clear, the IntegraB board comes with 2 x 32k SWRAM modules as standard (in banks 4, 5, 6 & 7). Do you want another 32k RAM module in addition of that?
Last edited by KenLowe on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 am

Hi Ken
If I can be "right on the deadline" I would like to purchase one of your boards. Is postage about GBP15 to Australia still OK?

Can't message you yet. Perhaps an Admin can enable me?
Cheers
Rod

JonC

Post by JonC » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 am

Rod C wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 am
Hi Ken
If I can be "right on the deadline" I would like to purchase one of your boards. Is postage about GBP15 to Australia still OK?

Cheers
Rod
Just use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the page and an Admin should be able to do the honours for you.
Jon

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 am

Rod C wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 am
Hi Ken

Cheers
Rod
Yes. £15 P&P should still fine. I'll PM you with contact details.

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks Jon, thanks Ken! :D

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 pm

@aotta
@Rod C

That's your boards dropped off with the courier. Please allow a couple of weeks for delivery.

Edit 1: I have one further board built and ready to ship. After that, I'm waiting for a couple of components to complete the final two PCBs.
Edit 2: One more sold. Remaining components received for final 2 boards, which are now complete and ready to ship.
Edit 3: Another one sold. Only one left now.
Edit 4: Due to higher than anticipated levels of interest on ebay, I've decided to offer up 2 of the final 3 that I was keeping back for myself. They're listed on ebay, but please feel free to request here too. They're cheaper if I sell direct, because I don't have to pay ebay or paypal fees.
Edit 5: No more boards currently available.
Last edited by KenLowe on Sat May 11, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

aotta

Re: New ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

Post by aotta » Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 pm

IntegraB arrived and mounted... it's a great piece of hardware!!
I am still playing with jumpers, trying to config my 62256 RAM, while eproms seem works fine.
Also, i hadn't removed the ROM/RAM wiring mod i already had in the Micro, but since there aren't ICs in the original socket, i think i can leave the extra wiring on.

Thank you and my compliments, and... i have one question (a bit OT) ...where did you find the extralong pins socket for the CPU? i am looking for one since years for repairing one of my WE boards!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm

aotta wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 pm
where did you find the extralong pins socket for the CPU?
APA-640-T-P from here
aotta wrote:
I am still playing with jumpers, trying to config my 62256 RAM
Are you having problems getting the extra 62256 RAM to work?
Last edited by KenLowe on Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 9:42 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm
aotta wrote:
where did you find the extralong pins socket for the CPU?
APA-640-T-P from here

Thank you for the info!
aotta wrote:
I am still playing with jumpers, trying to config my 62256 RAM
Are you having problems getting the extra 62256 RAM to work?
I'm still testing the board (and maybe i don't know how to use it ;) ), so:
- the extra ram is not showed by *ROMS but it works, and BeebAid shows correctly the slots as RAM;
- i had to reset (@+BREAK) the board once, since i got "Language?" after some time;
- i can't get AMX SuperArt Working: Roms are loaded while booting but "*pointer" is not found. Tried several *osmode options too.

Is it normal?

Anyway, i planned to test IntegraB with one of my Beebs without the DIY SW Ram Mod, , as i am afraid it may interfere with your board.
Thank you and again my compliments!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 9:55 am

aotta wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:42 am
- the extra ram is not showed by *ROMS but it works, and BeebAid shows correctly the slots as RAM;
- i had to reset (@+BREAK) the board once, since i got "Language?" after some time;
- i can't get AMX SuperArt Working: Roms are loaded while booting but "*pointer" is not found. Tried several *osmode options too.

Is it normal?
So...

1. Is normal. Only the 4 preconfigured banks show as RAM. I am hoping to write a utility that will allow you to specify your additional RAM banks, so that *ROMS does report these banks, but I've not done that yet.
2. Is not normal. However, it is possible that some programs may corrupt the private RAM area that stores the IBOS parameters. You can always save and restore the parameters with *CSAVE <filename> and *CLOAD <filename> to avoid having to manually reconfigure all your parameters after a reset.
3. I'm not sure about AMX SuperArt. I've got the ROMs (AMXSP & AMXSPS - I think?), but never known how to use them. I assume I also need some disk based program too? If you can give me some pointers, I can check it out
Edit 1: Think I'm actually talking about a different AMX utility called Stop Press! Anyway, if you could post up a copy of the ROMS / Disk Image, or point me to where I can download them, I can take a look.
Edit 2: I've just located and downloaded AMX SuperRom 3.41 from here and installed that to RAM bank 4. I get a valid response to *POINTER. If I do *POINTER ON followed by *ART it starts up the ART program.
Last edited by KenLowe on Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 10:48 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:55 am
aotta wrote:

Is it normal?
So...

1. Is normal. Only the 4 preconfigured banks show as RAM. I am hoping to write a utility that will allow you to specify your additional RAM banks, so that *ROMS does report these banks, but I've not done that yet.
2. Is not normal. However, it is possible that some programs may corrupt the private RAM area that stores the IBOS parameters. You can always save and restore the parameters with *CSAVE <filename> and *CLOAD <filename> to avoid having to manually reconfigure all your parameters after a reset.
3. I'm not sure about AMX SuperArt. I've got the ROMs (AMXSP & AMXSPS - I think?), but never known how to use them. I assume I also need some disk based program too? If you can give me some pointers, I can check it out
Edit 1: Think I'm actually talking about a different AMX utility called Stop Press! Anyway, if you could post up a copy of the ROMS / Disk Image, or point me to where I can download them, I can take a look.
Edit 2: I've just located and downloaded AMX SuperRom 3.41 from here and installed that to RAM bank 4. I get a valid response to *POINTER. If I do *POINTER ON followed by *ART it starts up the ART program.
Thank you Ken! i've just made same test with Rom 3.31, and it works if manually loaded!
My fault was using probably the Master version ( the one you can found here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5222 ), and it probably loads from disk ROMS not compatible with B.

So, all fine with your boards!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:55 am
aotta wrote:
Is it normal?
Ok. I've written a small RAMSET utility which is a BASIC program that allows the user to inform Integra of any addition RAM that is installed in the system. This will adjust the reported amount of memory in the Startup message, and will adjust how the *ROMS command reports the ROM banks (the E/P flag becomes enabled). Once set, this setting will remain active until the utility is ran again, or until a Integra Reset is carried out.
Last edited by KenLowe on Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 3:54 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Ok. I've written a small RAMSET utility which is a BASIC program that allows the user to inform Integra of any addition RAM that is installed in the system. This will adjust the reported amount of memory in the Startup message, and will adjust how the *ROMS command reports the ROM banks (the E/P flag becomes enabled). Once set, this setting will remain active until the utility is ran again, or until a Integra Reset is carried out.
Thank you, i think it'll useful! but can you give some help about how to use it? in basic it doesn't load, and *RAMSET hangs the Beeb..
Last edited by aotta on Sun May 12, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenLowe

Re: Sold Out: New ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Oh. Sorry about that. I was having a couple of issues saving it on my GoTek, but thought I'd solved it. I'm currently out, but should be back shortly to fix it.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Oh. Sorry about that. I was having a couple of issues saving it on my GoTek, but thought I'd solved it. I'm currently out, but should be back shortly to fix it.
You don't have to excuse, it's really kind of you writing a tool like this!
and, i have added a NEC 43256 32k RAM too, it works fine!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Ok. That should have fixed it. Try downloading it again.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:51 pm
Ok. That should have fixed it. Try downloading it again.
Programs now load, but seemed not working.. it ask for which banks, confirm, then prompt an * and freeze...
and no (E) added to the left of RAM

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Hmmm. After you confirm, the BBC should reset. Did that not happen?

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm

No.. It show the * prompt and hangs

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Not sure why it's doing that. I've tried it on a couple of machines without any problem. I've made a couple of slightly different versions for you to try:

RAMSET2 - Loads machine code into a DIM area
RAMSET3 - As 2, but this one doesn't try to auto reboot.

Can you test these and see what happens.

Might be worth doing an Integra reset again, and also *UNPLUG some of your other ROMs, in case they're having an impact?

Edit: File removed. Please download file located on first page, which is confirmed to work.
Last edited by KenLowe on Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 12, 2019 7:18 pm

It worked after a reset (poweron+@)!
Thank you!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm glad you got it working. Did it work as you expected?