BBC Master + Roms advice

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Muddyfunster

BBC Master + Roms advice

Post by Muddyfunster »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards and I'm hoping I can ask some of the more experienced hands for advice. I only really used BBC's when I was at school in the 80's and most of my retro computing / projects are with Sinclair and Commodore computers. However recently I managed to acquire a BBC Master 128 with a pretty awesome Retroclinic Datacentre. I've been having a great time getting to know the machine (I even fired up Granny's Garden !)

So the last 3 weeks have been something of a learning journey :)

I've been reading up on the threads here and at other sites on the interwebs and I've done a fair bit towards getting my Master back to a good working order. I pretty quickly realised it didn't have a battery pack and added one so it would retain settings. I also moved the ROM for the Datacentre into the right slot so I could access the full 128K and run games like the pretty amazing port of Stunt Car Racer and I've set the *STATUS settings to the ones most recommended and so it boots to RAMFS

One thing has me stumped and I think I know the answer but I don't know how it will work :

I want to run games that don't seem to work natively with the Master. From reading I figure that they need OS1.20 as in the old Model ?

If that's so, then I figure I need a MultiOS switchable ROM. (Again Retroclinic seems to have just what I need).

But,

If I have that installed and set to 1.20 would I still be able to access disc images from the USB on my datacentre? or would I need to add or do something else?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else.

Thanks !
SpaceFlightOrange

Re: BBC Master + Roms advice

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

Hey there! Welcome to the forum.

The Master is a lovely machine. I've only had mine a few weeks having just been a Model B owner for many years.

The MultiOS is what you need to run OS1.20, and in fact it comes with a few games preloaded, which is cool. but its worth getting just for the Y2K and DFS fixes. It's nice having a computer that knows what century it is!!

I don't personally own a Datacentre, sadly. but I do know it runs on the Model B so I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem accessing, I just assume you'll have to manually switch over to RAMFS. Certainly worth dropping Mark H. (RetroClinic) a message and asking him. He's a really nice guy and very helpful, as is everyone on this forum. They've certainly been a big help to me, and the amount of knowledge on here is staggering!!

You didn't win this on eBay did you? I saw one for sale with a DataCentre a few weeks ago. It looked in great condition and went for what I thought was a bargain.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
Muddyfunster

Post by Muddyfunster »

Thanks! :)

Yes, its probably the same machine. I was quite lucky because the seller was quite local so I could collect it rather than trusting it to a courier.

I pinged Mark an email, I should have probably done that in the first place as he already kindly helped me with the replacement battery pack for my master.

I can't help looking for more things to do with my Master, it's an amazingly versatile machine. I'm still pretty amazed at the port of Stunt Car Racer.
Last edited by Muddyfunster on Fri May 03, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

Muddyfunster wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 am
I can't help looking for more things to do with my Master, it's an amazingly versatile machine. I'm still pretty amazed at the port of Stunt Car Racer.
Yeah. I was pretty much blown away by that too!

Try Tricky’s Frogger. It’s easily the best version made for the beeb.

Also, there’s lots of fun to be had with a Raspberry Pi coprocessor.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
Muddyfunster

Post by Muddyfunster »

That is a great port of Frogger!

My co-pro board arrived today so i'll be planning some time to tinker with that at the weekend.

Also got a CF card for the datacenter and the multiOS ROM. Love how easy that was to get installed and working, managed to get a bunch of the older games working.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, its good to hear that you are enjoying you master and frogger ;)

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”