Unfinished Text Adventures

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
8bitAG

Re: Unfinished Text Adventures

Post by 8bitAG » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Running a search for unsolved BBC adventures, lists 110 games... http://solutionarchive.com/list/no_solu ... tform%2C4/

Spectrum has 1041... http://solutionarchive.com/list/no_solu ... tform%2C2/

...a lot of those will be MIA, but... yeah... that would keep you busy for a long time. :)

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:09 am

Two games immediately stand out as being eminently playable: Bill Trevelyan's The Body in the Bunker and Database Publication's Aussie Suds.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm

I presume Bill Trevelyan is the same guy who made several contributions to Electron User between April 1986 and the final issue in July 1990 where he received a special thank you from Pendragon for his contributions ?
Last edited by fuzzel on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

fuzzel wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm
I presume Bill Trevelyan is the same guy who made several contributions to Electron User between April 1986 and the final issue in July 1990 where he received a special thank you from Pendragon for his contributions ?
He seems to have written a lengthy six-part series on writing adventures for Electron User, so I think that's a pretty safe presumption to make.
(*edit: although Clive Gifford appears to have written part six)
Last edited by 8bitAG on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am

The Body in the Bunker is a great effort from Bill Trevelyan. It utilises disc space to store location text meaning the room descriptions are verbose and there's also a good narrative to the story. Which Electron User issues did his adventuring writing series appear in btw ? It would be great if there were tips in there on utilising disc space to write adventures as I'd like to adopt this myself at some point.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am
... Bill Trevelyan ... Which Electron User issues did his adventuring writing series appear in btw ?
How quickly we forget...
:wink:

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am
The Body in the Bunker ... utilises disc space to store location text meaning the room descriptions are verbose ... It would be great if there were tips ... on utilising disc space to write adventures as I'd like to adopt this myself at some point.
You can do this with ALPS, using either the Extension pack or the Extras pack (I forget which). They're labelled as Electron software, but I think they work on the Beeb too. I've been meaning to try them out...
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks Lurkio, You've just reminded me about ALPS and three games which remain unsolved: COPS (Alpine), Plague Planet (Alpine) and Dreadnought / Dreadnaught (P Woodhouse). They will give me plenty to get my teeth into this New Year. ALPS produces very polished looking adventure games (dependent of course on the literary talent of the programmer) and it reminds me stylistically of the later Robico stuff. It may be a while before I get started on them though as the Body in the Bunker is proving quite a handful (I've gone from solving a bank robbery in the high street to a murder at a golf course and also sinister goings on at a stately home, all with interactive characters to contend with). Bill was quite the talent it seems...