Unfinished Text Adventures

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
8bitAG

Re: Unfinished Text Adventures

Post by 8bitAG » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Running a search for unsolved BBC adventures, lists 110 games... http://solutionarchive.com/list/no_solu ... tform%2C4/

Spectrum has 1041... http://solutionarchive.com/list/no_solu ... tform%2C2/

...a lot of those will be MIA, but... yeah... that would keep you busy for a long time. :)

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:09 am

Two games immediately stand out as being eminently playable: Bill Trevelyan's The Body in the Bunker and Database Publication's Aussie Suds.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm

I presume Bill Trevelyan is the same guy who made several contributions to Electron User between April 1986 and the final issue in July 1990 where he received a special thank you from Pendragon for his contributions ?
Last edited by fuzzel on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

fuzzel wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm
I presume Bill Trevelyan is the same guy who made several contributions to Electron User between April 1986 and the final issue in July 1990 where he received a special thank you from Pendragon for his contributions ?
He seems to have written a lengthy six-part series on writing adventures for Electron User, so I think that's a pretty safe presumption to make.
(*edit: although Clive Gifford appears to have written part six)
Last edited by 8bitAG on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am

The Body in the Bunker is a great effort from Bill Trevelyan. It utilises disc space to store location text meaning the room descriptions are verbose and there's also a good narrative to the story. Which Electron User issues did his adventuring writing series appear in btw ? It would be great if there were tips in there on utilising disc space to write adventures as I'd like to adopt this myself at some point.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am
... Bill Trevelyan ... Which Electron User issues did his adventuring writing series appear in btw ?
How quickly we forget...
:wink:

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am
The Body in the Bunker ... utilises disc space to store location text meaning the room descriptions are verbose ... It would be great if there were tips ... on utilising disc space to write adventures as I'd like to adopt this myself at some point.
You can do this with ALPS, using either the Extension pack or the Extras pack (I forget which). They're labelled as Electron software, but I think they work on the Beeb too. I've been meaning to try them out...
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks Lurkio, You've just reminded me about ALPS and three games which remain unsolved: COPS (Alpine), Plague Planet (Alpine) and Dreadnought / Dreadnaught (P Woodhouse). They will give me plenty to get my teeth into this New Year. ALPS produces very polished looking adventure games (dependent of course on the literary talent of the programmer) and it reminds me stylistically of the later Robico stuff. It may be a while before I get started on them though as the Body in the Bunker is proving quite a handful (I've gone from solving a bank robbery in the high street to a murder at a golf course and also sinister goings on at a stately home, all with interactive characters to contend with). Bill was quite the talent it seems...

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm now having a short break from writing my Land game to play Aussie Suds, a nifty little sequel to Suds and American Suds. It's quill based which means there's probably not much room for text but from what I've seen so far it's very witty and the puzzles are well crafted. You have to escape from a ship which is taking you to Oz but is in the process of sinking. One of the first puzzles involves an old foe, the crow, from the original Suds who's proving to be a bit of a nuisance. Perhaps this one hasn't been solved because it's a more recent discovery having featured in leenew's lost games thread. Or it could be because it's b~@&*y hard!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 am

This is a well crafted game, I've come across 17 locations so far with 11 objects, 10 puzzles and plenty of corny puns.
There are four puzzles still to do on the ship and I think I can work out the chain of them, I'm just stuck trying to deal with the weevils, although I can guess what I need to do, just the small matter of finding an appropriate object. I definitely think I'll have a crack at Suds after this.
Last edited by fuzzel on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 pm

I've started playing Alpine Software's Plague Planet, a nice looking disc-based adventure for the BBC. After a fair start I'm now hopelessly stuck. I found a hints sheet on CASA but it appears to be for a slightly different version. Either that or the one I'm playing is bugged. For example, the clue sheet says "3. I can't get into the ship. (3,30)" but on my version the door is already open, no password etc required. I'm stuck at a padlocked door and possess a hammer and one of the verbs is HAMMER but unfortunately you can't HAMMER DOOR. Anyone else played this and got past this bit or perhaps got an alternative cluesheet or maybe even playing a different version ?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 am

I've started playing Alpine Software's Plague Planet, a nice looking disc-based adventure for the BBC. After a fair start I'm now hopelessly stuck. I found a hints sheet on CASA but it appears to be for a slightly different version. Either that or the one I'm playing is bugged. I'm stuck at a padlocked door and possess a hammer and one of the verbs is HAMMER but unfortunately you can't HAMMER DOOR. Anyone else played this and got past this bit or perhaps got an alternative cluesheet or maybe even playing a different version ?

Amendment - I've removed previous comment about the spaceship door, I was reading the hint table wrongly. Also, I've just made a breakthrough this morning so may not need the hints sheet after all !

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 am

After giving up on 'Gnome Adventure', at least until it's proven not to be buggy as I suspect it is (see relevant thread), I'm now having a bash at 'The Sea Queen', an interesting commercial-level-but-originally-unreleased pirate fare.

I've become quite motivated to try and crack a couple of the as-yet-unsolved text adventures*, and confess I do enjoy ones that are a break from the typical aliens or dungeons fare occasionally, and this one is currently holding my attention even though I can't get much to actually happen as yet. Might be worth a look for you, Fuzzel and Lurkio.

(* - I completed 'The Lost Frog' last year, not tough as it's basically for young players... I should probably write a walk-through for it through!)
...Should have put more thought into thinking of a clever user name!!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am

I'll definitely have a look at "The Sea Queen" at some point. I've always liked the idea of a group effort for solving adventures (takes me back to Snowball, Colossal and Lords of Time at school). The blurb on CASA certainly whets the appetite.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am

fuzzel wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am
I'll definitely have a look at "The Sea Queen" at some point. I've always liked the idea of a group effort for solving adventures (takes me back to Snowball, Colossal and Lords of Time at school). The blurb on CASA certainly whets the appetite.
Not checked... but Sea Queen looks Quilled, from the screenshot.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am
Absolutely feel the same, love the idea of a "group effort" to solve some of the trickier obscure titles. I'm usually very outdoors based so haven't put much serious time into beating some old adventures in recent years, but with lockdown having limited other activities, I'm quite determined at the moment, and many heads together could be great. :)

By the way, I spent HOURS on 'Lords of Time', trying to get the keys out from under the shed (I know how to now!). Back then I was the only BBC-based gamer in my school, just about everyone else having a Commodore or Atari or whatever and were more interested in action games... a school-based group effort I could only dream about!
8bitAG wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am
Not checked... but Sea Queen looks Quilled, from the screenshot.
Yes, it's written in Quill, quick browse at the listings in Wordwise alone reveal it to be (though the listings do come out quite garbled for this one).

"The Sea Queen" was never officially released, and as such might have needed an extra 'polish' possibly before a commercial launch, but it's the one that's holding my attention today! :D

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:59 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 pm
Yes, it's written in Quill, quick browse at the listings in Wordwise alone reveal it to be (though the listings do come out quite garbled for this one).

"The Sea Queen" was never officially released, and as such might have needed an extra 'polish' possibly before a commercial launch, but it's the one that's holding my attention today! :D
If you want to look at the database then you'll just need to UnQuill it with unqbbc from https://www.seasip.info/Unix/UnQuill/

How do you know The Sea Queen was never officially released?

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm

8bitAG wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:59 pm
PJ-1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 pm

If you want to look at the database then you'll just need to UnQuill it with unqbbc from https://www.seasip.info/Unix/UnQuill/

How do you know The Sea Queen was never officially released?
I'll have a bash at that when I'm sat at my PC later.

Stairway to Hell states the game as commercially unreleased, though it was later released as Public Domain. :)

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm

....Trying to get to grips with UnQuill. Haven't run anything like that for years. This could take some time... :lol:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm
....Trying to get to grips with UnQuill. Haven't run anything like that for years.
You might have to hack the unqbbc code if the game you're trying to unQuill was written with a disc-based version of the Quill because the unqbbc code will be looking for a signature in the B-Em snapshot of the game, but the signature doesn't actually exist in games written with some/all disc-based versions of Quill!

I'm not familiar with Sea Queen so I don't know which version of Quill it was written with.

:!:

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am

PJ-1978 wrote:
....Trying to get to grips with UnQuill. Haven't run anything like that for years. This could take some time... :lol:
Output attached.
sea_queen_unquill.zip
(23.65 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am

iamaran wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am
PJ-1978 wrote:
Output attached.

sea_queen_unquill.zip
Thank you most kindly, will save me a lot of trying-to-figure-out-edness.

I put a couple of hours in to SQ last night, lots of rooms but can't make much happen even though I know kinda what needs doing, so this'll come in very handy.
(As it was unreleased, praying it's not another unfinishable game) :D

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Okay, so I'm playing Reluctant Hero, another Quilled game. This is in two parts and I'm stuck right at the end (I think) of part one. I've unquilled it but don't want to look yet! Is anyone familiar with this?

I think I've done everything necessary, I just need to get out of the hotel and escape on the bicycle. There isn't enough time for me to get out of the room, into the lift, down to the ground floor, and to where the bike is parked. Earlier in the game, if I move the bicycle it is stolen and if I attempt to bring it into the hotel I'm thwarted. I think I need to either bring the bike nearer to me or find a way out of the hotel that doesn't involve using the lift, perhaps via one of the balconies previously used.

Can provide a walkthrough of what I've done so far. Thanks all.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:00 am

Not played it but like the sound of it. I think I’ll make it my next game. Will let you know how I get on.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:40 pm

iamaran wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm
Okay, so I'm playing Reluctant Hero, another Quilled game. This is in two parts and I'm stuck right at the end (I think) of part one. I've unquilled it but don't want to look yet! ... I think I need to either bring the bike nearer to me or find a way out of the hotel that doesn't involve using the lift, perhaps via one of the balconies previously used. Can provide a walkthrough of what I've done so far.
Yes, please post the walkthrough-so-far. And feel free to post (or PM me) the unQuilled file: I'll have a look at it and send you some hints, if you like..?

:?:

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:40 pm
Yes, please post the walkthrough-so-far. And feel free to post (or PM me) the unQuilled file: I'll have a look at it and send you some hints, if you like..?
Ok, thanks Lurkio. I've attached them as opposed to pasting in, in case fuzzel or anyone else does play this next and doesn't want to see. I've also put a couple of notes regarding what I've tried.
Attachments
reluctant_hero_part1_unquill.txt
(134.61 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
reluctant_hero_solution_so_far.txt
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 pm

iamaran wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 pm
lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:40 pm
I'll have a look at it and send you some hints, if you like..?
Ok, thanks Lurkio.
Hints -- more like spoilers, really -- in rot13:
  • Qba'g zbir gur ovxr.
  • Ercynpr gur qbphzragf nsgre ernqvat gurz naq gura TB PHCOBNEQ.
  • Jung'f n dhvpxre ireo guna TB?
  • Jura lbh'er bhgfvqr gur fgbar snpnqr bs gur ubgry naq gur zna lbh uvg fubhgf ng lbh, lbh fubhyq EHA A, EHA A, EHA R, TRG OVXR, EVQR OVXR
Complete walkthrough for Part 1 (the blank lines -- the ones after the end of the spoiler space! -- are necessary if you're copying and pasting into BeebEm):

Code: Select all

Spoiler space:

End of spoiler space.

E
EXAMINE BIN
EXAMINE RUBBISH
EXAMINE RUBBISH

EXAMINE RUBBISH

GET KNIFE
S
EXAMINE SHELVES
EXAMINE COUNTER
RING BELL
WAIT
BUY ANCHOR
N
E
E
N
EXAMINE COUNTER

BUY NEWSPAPER
READ NEWSPAPER

READ NEWSPAPER

DROP NEWSPAPER

S
W
S
PLACE BET
LARRYS QUEST

N
W
N
N
EXAMINE KITCHEN
SHARPEN KNIFE
S
S
E
E
ENTER TAXI

HOTEL RAFFLES

U
TALK PORTER
BRIBE PORTER
E
ENTER LIFT
PRESS 10
S
S
ENTER ROOM
N
EXAMINE WARDROBE
GET JACKET
EXAMINE JACKET
DROP JACKET
GET CARD
GET HANGER
SLEEP

S
E

GET CURTAINS
CUT CURTAINS

GET ROPE
OPEN WINDOW
GO WINDOW

TIE ROPE
TO ANCHOR
THROW GRAPPLING HOOK

TIE ROPE
TO BALCONY

GO ROPE

EXAMINE WINDOW
MAKE HOOK
INSERT HOOK

ENTER WINDOW

W
EXAMINE DESK
EXAMINE BLOTTING PAD

GET NOTEPAD
EXAMINE NOTEPAD

RUB PENCIL
GET CALCULATOR
SMASH CALCULATOR
GET BATTERY
INSERT BATTERY
PENLIGHT ON
EXAMINE PAINTING
EXAMINE GAP
INSERT CARD

PRESS 7409
GET DOCUMENTS
READ DOCUMENTS
REPLACE DOCUMENTS
GO CUPBOARD
WAIT

GO DOOR
N
N
N
ENTER LIFT
PRESS G
W
W
RUN N
RUN N
RUN E
GET BIKE
RIDE BIKE

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:17 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 pm
Hints -- more like spoilers, really -- in rot13:
Complete walkthrough for Part 1 (the blank lines -- the ones after the end of the spoiler space! -- are necessary if you're copying and pasting into BeebEm):
So near and for whatever reason I couldn't quite fathom it! Thanks Lurkio.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm

iamaran wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:17 pm
So near and for whatever reason I couldn't quite fathom it!
I'm mainly concerned with making sure that the game doesn't have a showstopping bug that makes it impossible to complete, so I went straight to the unQuill output to try to find a quick solution -- but I ended up spending quite a long time in a state of befuddlement! So I'm well impressed that you got almost all the way to the end without even a hint! Especially considering all the fiddly object-manipulation you have to do along the way...

The bit you were stuck on is an annoying puzzle because it's sort of guess-the-verb -- but I suppose it was clued (Lbh'er abg dhvpx rabhtu), so maybe it's not entirely unfair..?

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:27 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm
The bit you were stuck on is an annoying puzzle because it's sort of guess-the-verb -- but I suppose it was clued (Lbh'er abg dhvpx rabhtu), so maybe it's not entirely unfair..?

Not at all unfair, but I'd taken it to mean I'd made too many moves. So I was convinced that I needed to bring the bike to just outside the hotel lobby or to find a way out to where the bike is parked without using the lift (perhaps over the balcony) taking fewer moves.

Thanks again. Part two soon!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:02 am

Looks like you've beaten me to it lurkio! This unquilling business is interesting, I'll have to have a close look at the text files created to see exactly what it gives you. I presume it would provide a full list of all possible inputs which have been anticipated by the author and their consequences via messages.
One game which I believe was quilled is Twin Orbs of Aalinor by Potter Programs. If it is, would you be able to get me an unquilled text file for it because I believe the game is bugged and impossible to complete (from memory I'm very near the end) and I'd like to check if there's something maybe I've missed first. It's a very enjoyable game btw, much better than other offerings I've seen from Potter.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”