Restoring Beeb #5

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
KarateEd

Restoring Beeb #5

Post by KarateEd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:24 am

Well folks, I went and got the Beeb out of my workshop. I had yet to clean it, cap it or make sure it works. I bought it for about 20 pounds a bit over a year ago. It was dirty, looked like it was kept in something other than my workshop, like maybe a loft that had some holes that let the weather in it.

Now this isn't a complete refurb...... yet. I still have to retrobright the case as the outside looks a bit like it's been in mud. I also have to take the keyboard apart, at least the caps and give them a good clean. I'll probably also use key cleaner on the keys as they are quite stiff so probably a few don't work.

The Beeb did come up with the usual Bee Bip when I turned it on so the recapping not only worked but the Beeb itself seems to function. I didn't hook it up to a monitor yet to ensure it works through the video but I suspect it will. The Bee Bip was very clean so I'm not really expecting any problems.

Here are a few pics of the parts before and after cleaning.

Ed......
1-Serial Number.jpg
Serial number for the database
2-In WorkShop.jpg
Does this appear to be a techie note from BITD?
3-Dirty MB.jpg
Not looking that clean
7-Clean MB.jpg
Much better
4-Dirty Case.jpg
Very dirty case
8-Clean Case.jpg
A little bit better, especially inside - needs retrobrighting
5-PSU now recapped.jpg
Nothing to see here, just the PSU as removed
6-Chips to be removed numbered.jpg
I numbered the chips here because I removed them so I could wash the MB in the washing machine and oven
9-5 pounds Bas.jpg
5 pounds Baz? Shipping is 15 pounds, seems like a deal to me.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards

CMcDougall

Re: Restoring Beeb #5

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:44 am

looks like the earlier rougher case Ed 8)

but my Iss3 with rougher case wins on the dust! :lol:
Attachments
iss3.jpg
dust free...
ImageImageImage

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 am

Geez, you could grow potatoes in there.

Ed......

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 am

KarateEd wrote:Geez, you could grow potatoes in there.

Ed......
Potatoes? That's deep enough for a whole allotment worth of vegetables :lol:

Having said that, I found actual soil and mud in one old computer once :shock:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Well, 2 problems....... after hooking it up to a DataCentre and monitor....

It wouldn't boot with the DC, just a long beep so the port is likely hooped. Does anyone know what chip/chips affect the 1Mhz port?

The other one is Language? It's behaving as if there is no language chip in there but there is so maybe it's hooped.

Ed......

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

The problem with the 1MHz port is likely to be the pins being dirty and or tarnished. Try the usual trick of plugging/unplugging lots of times...

Again, the problem with the ROM that contains BASIC not being recognised is likely to be contact problems. Remove the ROM chip and if they are dirty or tarnished, clean with an ink eraser or similar. If it is really bad, use a fibreglass cleaning pencil. Visually check the contacts in the sockets. A known problem is the contacts becoming bent so they no longer make a reliable connection with the pins of the chip.

Mark

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Found the problem with the BASIC chip. There was a bent pin not making contact so ergo, no BASIC.

I've since fixed that. Still have a problem with the DataCentre but I'm sure it will fix once I can get the connector on all the way. It is reluctant to go past a certain point and I can't see why.

Ed......

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 pm

KarateEd wrote:Still have a problem with the DataCentre but I'm sure it will fix once I can get the connector on all the way. It is reluctant to go past a certain point and I can't see why.
That's usually down to one of the pins being bent / folded.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:31 pm

KenLowe wrote:
KarateEd wrote:Still have a problem with the DataCentre but I'm sure it will fix once I can get the connector on all the way. It is reluctant to go past a certain point and I can't see why.
That's usually down to one of the pins being bent / folded.
I agree and checked for that but can't see a bent pin anywhere.

Ed......

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 pm

All the pins should be straight and true. The two eject arms/levers should sit so that the line socket can 'plug' in freely. On the line socket, none of the connector holes should be filled in or blocked.
Maybe give the plug and the line socket a clean with IPA (IPA in a spray can / aerosol can is what I would use for this).

I can't think of anything else that could cause problems...

Mark

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 am

1024MAK wrote:All the pins should be straight and true. The two eject arms/levers should sit so that the line socket can 'plug' in freely. On the line socket, none of the connector holes should be filled in or blocked.
Maybe give the plug and the line socket a clean with IPA (IPA in a spray can / aerosol can is what I would use for this).

I can't think of anything else that could cause problems...

Mark
I agree. I know the DataCentre plug is good. I've been using it on my Master, it's an external sooooooo...... that leaves the pins on the Beeb.

At the moment I can't see a bent pin but I know they can be really difficult to spot so, have to go out now but will check in a few hours again.

Ed......

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:34 am

ok, looks like the pin was very, very slightly out of alignment. After many scourings with the magnifying glass and patience with a small screwdriver was able to get the pin in the right place and I've attached the DC. Now I have to burn a ROM for the DC to put in this machine and it should all be good.

Ed......

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 am

Everything seems to work fine on this new/old Beeb so now it's time to shut it down and get the retrobrighting done......and of course get the keyboard working as it should.

Ed......

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 am

Well, the keyboard had 2 keys that wouldn't work to start. I used electric contact cleaner to get one of them working (used it on all the keys for safety use down the road) but the other refused period so using a donor keyboard, I replaced it.

I also deep cleaned the keyboard, Q-tips for the under the keys parts and food safe peroxide to clean the keytops.... I think it looks much better and now all the keys work. The red on the keytops is a reflection from the DataCentre.

Ed......
Cleaned keyboard.jpg

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am

=D> Looks pretty good for a 20 quid machine. :D

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

richardtoohey wrote:=D> Looks pretty good for a 20 quid machine. :D
It actually is in pretty good shape. I'm surprised because this machine exterior is crazy dirty. It needs a good retrobrighting which is coming up probably a couple of weeks.

The inside was the usual 'dusty' dirty, nothing horrendous but the washing really brought it back to life. Just waiting for a decent heat sink with new paste on it from Mark to make sure it stays working. I think I'm going to make this my Music 500/5000 machine. I want to dedicate one machine to that.

Ed......

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:12 am

Sounds like a good plan. I have a Music 500 yet-to-be-connected as well ... another thing on my TODO list!

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Yeh, my to do list is getting longer and longer......