'The Old Computer'

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
MartinB

'The Old Computer'

Post by MartinB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 pm

I don't think I've noticed this site before? It has thousands of Acorn entries and although it titles the pages as emulator 'Roms', it is in fact a mix of all types of software, games included. I wonder if it's a total consolidation of everything available?

Anyone know any more about the site?

(In fact, on closer inspection, I can't actually see any rom images in there - only software!)

Martin

irrelevant

Re: 'The Old Computer'

Post by irrelevant » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 pm

It's a bit heavy on advertising.. first click I tried took me to a fastclick.net page (not sure which, as it was blocked by my network!) and looking at the source it'll do that every 15 mins. There's also code for google ads, google-analytics, RobertShermanAdNetworks, Quantcast, plus solicitations for donations via paypal and a custom google search box (which earns the site revenue). And that was just the first page I looked at.

Other than that, it looks like a comprehensive list of games..

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Yes, you're right - I hadn't tried to download anything!

Now tried downloading & saving a few sample files and given them a defence standard scan and 'No Threats Present' so I think it is, as you rightly say, just very heavy on advertising hooks rather than anything malicious. Also, if you right-click and 'Save Target As..' rather than just clicking, you seem to miss the pop-ups.

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:30 pm

GoOoOod find Martin! :D

looks like loadsa Games, cant find ROMs, maybe some games that are 'lost in time' ? :(

some that should not be there, ie 4Mation... **cough** Garden :shock:
disc3 G)(4Mation)[h TSTH][bootfile], ive not seen the Menu screen and loader screen since Primary School!! :oops: (as i only had the 2 main parts of prog from BITD) :o
ImageImageImage

regregex

Post by regregex » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm

'ROMs': probably comes from the MAME world where there are no moving storage parts to speak of and so everything is a 'ROM'.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Col wrote:GoOoOod find Martin! :D
Cheers Col :wink:

I thought it looked pretty comprehensive and, although I'm not an expert in this area, there looks to be stuff I've never come across on-line before. Have any of the collection experts had a browse to see if there's anything not usually available such as the copy of [CENSORED] that Colin mentioned?

Anyway, I've hoovered off all four & and a half thousand items (~76Mb) and given them a thorough industrial virus checking and they're all clean :D. I've also tried a handful of random samples in BeebEm and all seemed to work fine.

I guess I could 'double-zip' them into one file and attach it here - is that allowed in terms of re-distributing someone else's site contents and in view of the fact there is at least one [-X in there (which I would remove) - Samwise...?

Martin

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Lovely pic of BBC as well...

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 pm

Guys,

This looks to me just like a web archive of the old TOSEC collection of BBC micro disks. If you google for "TOSEC bbc micro" you'll find hundreds of sites hosting either individual downloads or huge torrents. They also have collections for tapes, roms and Acorn Electron stuff etc. as well as many other formats.

The TOSEC guys download every image they can find online (for platforms like the beeb I'm pretty sure they don't do any dumping themselves) and add them to their own collection. Technically they only release the dat files, but of course the actual archives end up on peer to peer. The problem with this approach is that the TOSEC guys don't spend much time comparing versions and generally just add all new dumps as alternates, resulting in a /lot/ of duplicate images. They also include all the "naughty" ones like 4mation.

76 MB I think is a bit too much for putting on this forum (the webserver will probably not allow you to upload more than 30 MB and that's only because we increased it to that to allow video uploads of that size for Retro Software).

I'd like to start looking at what can be done about automating the archive a bit shortly, but for now - personally, I don't see much point in us hosting the TOSEC collection as it's available via torrents easily. That said, if there's a demand for it shout here and I'm sure we can arrange to get the file from MartinB hosted somewhere.

Sam.

P.S. And /don't/ mention their naming convention to Arcadian ... he'll scratch your eyes right out ... :)

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Sam - you never let us down =D>

Well..., given all that and following some PM'd requests, the file is now hosted on ifile.it and can be downloaded by clicking on the link below. Note that I have removed the three files constituting 4Mation's 'GG' since I certainly couldn't claim ignorance of their wishes on that one :wink:

After clicking the link, click on 'Request Download Ticket' and then 'Download' on the next screen but note that these are both in the top left of the page. The other random and seductive [DOWNLOAD] buttons are advertising guff :roll:

Click here for the file...

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:20 am

^^ nice1 Martin, that will save someone 900+ clicks of mouse! :wink:
MartinB wrote:thought it looked pretty comprehensive and, although I'm not an expert in this area, there looks to be stuff I've never come across on-line before.
so, what 'stuff' is missing from the STH archive then? maybe some gems DaveM has still not found?? :?

maybe should start a list of names of games/etc that are not on here??
that would save DaveM searching through it all, as proberly he's still busy playing 'Repton4' :P

PS i first looked for Knight Orc, but not there :x
ImageImageImage

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am

Colin wrote:what 'stuff' is missing from the STH archive then?
Ah, my off the cuff comments should have finished with '...but don't quote me' :wink:. I'm no expert on Acorn games archives so it might just be that I've never looked closely at other collectiions before. A couple of people have suggested that some of these images might be more 'raw' in that they haven't been tinkered with for emulators etc.?

Either way, you can never have too much of this stuff in circulation :)

Martin

(PS : I presume people noticed that there is an Archimedes section too...?)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:55 pm

MartinB wrote:might be more 'raw' in that they haven't been tinkered with for emulators etc.?
i had a quick look at Joe Blade 1&2, and they were Never on disc, as i had to use my sideways ram board to get it to work (no space left!) on disc BITD. It worked straight off that site! so defo been tinkered with! also has a cheat version too [-X lol
ImageImageImage

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Joe Blade 1 & 2 are already on this site though!

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... eBlade.zip
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... Blade2.zip

and they only require minimal tinkering to load/relocate to work on disk!

TOSEC archives definitely aren't raw, there are plenty cracked [cr], hacked [h] and trained [t] games in there!

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 am

I was hoping to find a few of those but couldn't find any.. I had a few of them, but can't remember.. do you have a good collection Bill?

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Dave Footitt wrote:I was hoping to find a few of those but couldn't find any.. I had a few of them, but can't remember.. do you have a good collection Bill?
I don't have such a massive collection. Had a spell of getting games from eBay just to dissect the copy protection (and also because I wanted to have a "clean" copy of the game, without any "cracked by" messages!) :D

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 am

That site is just a copy of this site! #-o
ie [h TSTH] = http, The Stairway To Hell !!!!! All loaders are from here!!
also [h 8-Bit] = 8bit Chris PD stuff :roll:

some ARE from 'elsewhere' like this, that DaveM DOES need, as my 51/4" disc was corrupt, and only worked on mode2 or 4 :cry:
Art Studio, The (1989)(Impact Software)[h Tom][ARTLOAD start] =D>
i cant mind having to hack it BITD :?

some others that 'might' not be from here :-k

8-Bit Software ----bits and bobs.

A&B Art Package (1986)(A&B)[h Dave][bootfile]

Alien Blaster (1983)(PCW)[BLASTER start]----CH."BLASTER"

AllyPally (1984)(M. Stanger)[ALLY start]----CH."ALLY"

AMRAC Packet Radio (19xx)(Siskin Electronics)[h 8-Bit] --PD Disc

Android (1984)(JK Programs)[ANDROID start]----CH."ANDROID"

Animal-Vegetable-Mineral & Happy Letters & Timeman One (1983)(BES)-Tape ONLY

Animated Pictures (19xx)(-)[bootfile]

Animation Station Disc No. 1 (19xx)(-)[h 8-Bit](TBI-16)[bootfile] --PD Disc

Astrorun (19xx)(Ivan Bach)[ASTRO start]
ImageImageImage

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:02 am

Oh well, there's hope yet, you've clearly only looked at 'A' so far and if nothing else, it's been a good talking point! There's also been 17 downloads of the 'big' file thus far so I guess I'm keeping the Broadband companies in business too :)

Still, I will in future stay in my comfort zone of the Hardware thread - at least I know what I'm talking about there... :lol:

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm

found some more : -
Pig (19xx)(-)[PIG start] ----CH."a.pig" **NSFW!!!!
^^someone been watching the film Deliverance?? :lol:

Sex Invaders (1985)(M)[S-INV start]----CH."s-inv" **NSFW!!!!

Silicon Voyager, The (1984)(John Kingston)[bootfile]
ImageImageImage

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Yay! Thanks for taking the time Col - worthwhile call after all :D

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 pm

time? whats that! No probs Martin mate. Gave me something to do last Friday night when the Mrs went out on the piss till 2:30am! =D> ((us guys DO need time to ourselfs!)+listen to Depeche Mode Sounds of universe, newCD)
I just wanted to check if any of my discs where 'floating' about, but no =P~

also sorted my version of The Art Studio-Impact88, as my $.TAS4 file had bad sectors on my disc :( no 'cracked by Jim' on mine!!
ImageImageImage

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Is it any different to this? I'd never heard of it until I saw it on eBay a few months ago. Transferred using XFER. :)
Attachments
TheArtStudio.zip
40/80 track disk images
(45 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 am

billcarr2005 wrote:Is it any different to this?
yeah, that the same one i had! The one on 'that' site has a extra file called $.VIEWER on it, so can load the pics into any other prog.
ImageImageImage

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:45 pm

CMcDougall wrote:found some more : -
Pig (19xx)(-)[PIG start] ----CH."a.pig" **NSFW!!!!
^^someone been watching the film Deliverance?? :lol:
The PIG2 file on these disks is the same as the one in PIGROM1.0/1.1 that's accessed by plugging the rom in ad doing *PIG :) doesn't show up under *roms either.....

Phill.

irrelevant

Post by irrelevant » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Just got around to checking what that Pig one was ... NSFW indeed! But I've seen it before - back in the early '80s, as a teenager... somehow it was a lot more risqué then!!

Gosh, weren't we innocent...

Somewhere (not yet imaged) I've got several discs of that sort of thing ... We used to have to go in the back room at the computer club to swap those ones!!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:14 am

Here is another interesting website.

But they seem not to have heard of Acorn, the BBC Micro, or the Electron et al though. How strange. Perhaps someone needs to put them straight! :(

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Well they're an American site, so BBC/Electron stuff isn't really relevant to them. Also explains why there's no mention of Amstrad and minimal mention of Sinclair.

melchett

Post by melchett » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 pm

CMcDougall wrote:PS i first looked for Knight Orc, but not there :x
I successfully contacted Pete and Mike Austin over two years ago now in an attempt to track down the elusive BBC Micro version of Knight Orc. After much correspondence, they confirmed that a BBC version did exist and that they were going to look to see if they had any remaining versions of the game however shortly after this all responses stopped. So the mystery remains. I guess it would be possible to take the game data files from another platform and get them to work with the Knight Orc engine used on the later Level 9 games too (Gnome Ranger?). Maybe I should summon the energy for one last ditch attempt as it would be great to see a native version (including packaging). I'd like to see this at least - any other interest out there?

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm

ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:26 pm

more ere
http://www.emuparadise.org/Acorn_BBC_Micro_ROMs/59
again, mostly stollen from TSTH archive [-X

and a top10 d/l :shock:
ImageImageImage

jeggy111

Post by jeggy111 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 am

Greybeard wrote:Here is another interesting website.

But they seem not to have heard of Acorn, the BBC Micro, or the Electron et al though. How strange. Perhaps someone needs to put them straight! :(
That's because the micro isn't obsolete! Just look at all the new software releases and the people on these forums!
Why do I keep buying broken stuff?