Poll: "International" version of my books!

Talk about non-Acorn classic computers/hardware/software here (including retro consoles)

WOULD YOU BUY IT?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 am

Yes, I'm interested.
60%
No, I'm not particularly interested.
40%
Maybe.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Garrettimus

Poll: "International" version of my books!

Post by Garrettimus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 am

Dear friends,

I think most of you are familiarized with my research of the history of the video games arrival in my country, right? I wrote two books on the subject (the second edition - revised and expanded - is due to release next month) and am producing a documentary which will be released on September the 7th.

People always ask me if I'd be interested in releasing an English version of the books, most notably the Atari Age forums people. So, I created a poll and got good results so far, things are promising. In case you want to check: https://goo.gl/H3e5sA

PS: The "international" version would be focused on the Atari 2600.

I wonder if you, my British friends, would be interested as well... So I've just created this poll here! You have one week to give your opinion.

Would you be interest to buy a (Kindle) book focused on the Atari 2600 history in Brazil?

As many of you probably know, due to several peculiarities in the country at the time, such as import restrictions and economy policies, Brazilians saw an avalanche of cloned cartridges (some unusual games and prototypes ended up on our shelves) and consoles (one of them featured, for the first time ever, a PAUSE button!), as well as an official release by a company called Polyvox. The Atari 2600 was a FEVER amongst Brazilians from, say, 1983 to 1986. I wrote two highly illustrated books on the subject, with the 2nd edition - revised and expanded - coming soon, so it's a matter of having the material properly translated into English. If there's enough interest, I'll do it.

The translation from Portuguese into English would be done by a professional translator. The material, then, would be revised by a person whose mother language is English, a great friend of mine from the U.S. who would tweak the text if necessary. Any Brits would be interested as well? :D

Price would be something like £8.

Garrettimus

Re: Poll: "International" version of my books!

Post by Garrettimus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you, my friends, please keep giving your opinion! :D

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 pm

I'd be interested just to know about that pause button. It surely must have required software support? It's not like you can just leave the TIA in a steady state and expect it to output anything like a game's output (or, depending on your screen's tolerance to the lack of vertical sync, possibly anything at all). Unless it switched to a built-in routine to show the word 'paused' or something like that?

But, regardless, more Kindle content is always welcome.

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 am

ThomasHarte wrote:I'd be interested just to know about that pause button. It surely must have required software support? It's not like you can just leave the TIA in a steady state and expect it to output anything like a game's output (or, depending on your screen's tolerance to the lack of vertical sync, possibly anything at all). Unless it switched to a built-in routine to show the word 'paused' or something like that?

But, regardless, more Kindle content is always welcome.
Thank you very much, Thomas, but my books are not "technical", they address, basically, History itself plus the market, strategies etc - and some curiosities. You won't find any real technical info, I'm afraid. :oops:

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Some quick searching turned up this document: A Pause button for the Atari 2600. It's about a modern modification based on an pause button implementation in a Brazilian clone console. Kits are available from AtariAge.

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

davidb wrote:Some quick searching turned up this document: A Pause button for the Atari 2600. It's about a modern modification based on an pause button implementation in a Brazilian clone console. Kits are available from AtariAge.
Yup, Victor Trucco is a very popular guy here in Brazil. He does a lot of retrogaming projects and is behind the upcoming Spectrum Next.

But, the pause button Thomas was talking about is Onyx Junior's pause instead, I don't think it's the same project at all. Anyway, it works! :D

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 pm

If I understand correctly, he talks a bit about the way the Onyx Junior's pause button works before describing why something extra is needed for a regular 2600.

Maybe there's something extra about it in the original document? I wonder if there are schematics online for the Onyx Junior. :-k

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Here's the "famous" Onyx Junior! :D
Attachments
OnyxJunior.png

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm

davidb wrote:If I understand correctly, he talks a bit about the way the Onyx Junior's pause button works before describing why something extra is needed for a regular 2600.

Maybe there's something extra about it in the original document? I wonder if there are schematics online for the Onyx Junior. :-k
I'll try to find the schematics.

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Presumably the clone manufacturers had to clone the TIA? It'd be interesting to know about overall compatibility. Does e.g. Cosmic Ark* tend to work properly? Does the title screen of things like Alpha Beam** display properly?

* you'd have to get the HMOVE timing and behaviour very close, I think: it creates a pattern of repetitions of one of the missiles by disturbing the process so as to create endless 'movement';
** one of those that adjusts the playfield on the fly for different left/right halves, but in mirror mode and therefore timed very precisely, relying on the TIA's plotting latency.

Anyway, count me in for the book regardless. Brazil had the good taste to buy the Master System and is therefore clearly a superior market.

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am

Dear friends,

The new edition (in Portuguese) is out! Enjoy!

http://vai.la/rhfM (click on "Download do livro", the red button)

:D
Attachments
BookCover.jpg

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 am

Slightly off-topic, but perhaps interesting to Garrettimus if he hasn't already listened to it, is the February 27 episode of the How I Built This podcast. It's an interview with Nolan Bushnell.