ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
Groot

Re: ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

Post by Groot » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Jason & all,

I'd like to attend on Sunday and/or Monday if possible as a 'no-kitter' please.

Didn't respond earlier as a whole weekend attendee, as knew I had a film shoot that am crewing for that weekend, but would like to come catch up with Wim and the rest of the Dutch Atom Guys if at all poss.

Have also some pre-ordered Atom add-ons I'd like to pick up from Phill if ready in time!

Relatively local, so can make the trip over for the day, don't need to stay anywhere!

Many thanks,
Mark
Ipswich

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:25 pm

I'd like to attend on Sunday and/or Monday if possible as a 'no-kitter' please.
Hi oswrch - the meet up is running from Friday to Sunday so I'll put you down for Sunday. Please could you tell me your first name if that's ok (I'll put it in the first post)?

With Bryan's update, this takes us to 20 "kitters" and 3 "no-kitters"..

I should also add Dave (Arcadian) has kindly put together a nametag design for this event, so we'll all be able to put names/forum nicknames to faces :) (Thankyou Dave)

It's also occurred to me that I should look in to places to eat/drink. As there are so many of us, it's probably a good idea to book well in advance. I shall report back on this very soon :)
I'm going to ..
ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th Sept 2018

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Prime wrote:You won't be bringing your kitchen sink like last time we went to Cambridge.....
Well you gotta keep your bits clean eh..! :lol:

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi Jason,

I'd like to attend from Friday through Sunday.
I'm not currently sure if I'll be bringing kit, as it will depend on whether I've got to be in Edinburgh on Monday for work.
If I do, then I'll likely be flying up, and then flying back to Newquay.

Will confirm as soon as I know for sure.

Thanks,

Andy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:57 am

Bagpuss wrote:
I'd like to attend from Friday through Sunday.
Hi - I've added you to the kit list for now. Please let me know if it turns out you won't be able to bring kit and I'll move you to the other list.

Thanks,
Jason
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 am

Hi all,

I took a visit to the Centre and Cambridge last weekend.

I'm happy with the numbers: we've got enough space for 2 ("kitters") to a table and one table that could be used for bigger hardware projects [my suggestion is that this could be shared over the weekend across multiple projects, as it may be a little cramped to do some h/w work within the confines of half a table]. There are plenty of chairs.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I then took a wander to find places we might like to eat on a Friday, Saturday night.

The museum is some distance away from the town centre. I also got the impression that parking comes at a price in Cambridge, and organising taxis etc felt like it could all become a bit of a faff.

So I took a walk around streets local to the museum. There's not that much around within 15 mins walk. After some extensive wandering I narrowed it down to a Frankie and Bennies and an excellent Turkish restaurant that looks very reasonably priced and has a varied menu. As well as kebab type dishes, they also have pizzas and burgers. The museum has also suggested that ordering take out pizza etc and eating it in the museum would be fine in the evening.

So re food, here's my suggestion for the weekend:

FRIDAY
After we've set up etc, order take out for around 7.30-8ish and have a bit of a session at the museum in the evening.

*OR* we could go to Frankie and Bennies which is just 5 minutes walk away.

SATURDAY
All go to the Turkish restaurant at 7.30, and head back to the museum afterwards. It's 15 minutes walk away from the museum.

I've taken the liberty of booking F&Bs on Friday and Turkish restaurant Saturday @7.30. I've provisionally booked 25 places at each. Both restaurants want me to update with more accurate numbers closer to the time. I can put up a list in the top post for restaurants like Simon has done for Halifax.

I'd like to stick to the Saturday night at the Turkish restaurant, as an equivalent to the curry night out at Halifax.

For Friday though - I wonder if it might be more fun for all of us to have take out delivered to the museum rather than F&Bs. What do people think?
I'm going to ..

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:54 am

I am defiantly up for Turkish on Saturday night.

Happy with either suggestion on Friday night, but if I was forced to express a preference, I would choose take out.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

sydney

Post by sydney » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:47 am

jbnbeeb wrote: FRIDAY
After we've set up etc, order take out for around 7.30-8ish and have a bit of a session at the museum in the evening.
Is there a fridge for beer? If so then yes!!!! \:D/ If not - yes! No to F&B for me.
SATURDAY
All go to the Turkish restaurant at 7.30, and head back to the museum afterwards. It's 15 minutes walk away from the museum.
Turkish sounds fantastic too.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm going to be staying over on Saturday night now (booked a room at the Travelodge for an extortionate rate but anyway) and would def be up for Turkish.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

helpful

Post by helpful » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Excellent research job!

Turkish sounds good for Saturday. Take away on Friday is fine, although if it's anything like the TNMOC get together I'll end up with pizza sauce down my t-shirt :lol:

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

JimRussell

Post by JimRussell » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:25 am

Trying to decide where to stay and wondered about parking. What is the arrangement with CoCH for parking? Do we have to unload and vacate their carpark or can we leave our cars there all day? Travelodge seems to be the closest but parking is limited or I could get a b&b a few miles out of town with no parking issues. Bearing in mind that it is Bank Holiday and B&Bs are filling up fast I need to decide quickly. Does anyone have local knowledge on the best option.

JimRussell

Post by JimRussell » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:06 am

Had to make a decision so I will be staying at No1 Bed and Breakfast in Fen Ditton just outside Cambridge. Am still up for an evening meal but my alcohol intake will be limited as I will need to drive back, probably not a bad thing.

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi JimRussell - there are limited number of spaces in the Centre car park - 25-30 at best. So yes, it is likely we'll need to move our cars in the day time once unloaded. It's in an industrial estate, so I think we may be able to get away with moving some of our cars elsewhere (in industrial units that are clearly not in use on the weekend) in the day. The Centre is ok for us to leave cars in their car park over night "at our own risk".
I'm going to ..

sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:41 am

sirmorris wrote:
Prime wrote:You won't be bringing your kitchen sink like last time we went to Cambridge.....
Well you gotta keep your bits clean eh..! :lol:
Just reading this post reminds me , are you the gentleman I need to talk to about cramming a SD card soulution into my Atom?

If so Cambridge would be an excellent opportunity to do so if you have any boards available?

If you not the go to guy , sorry ;-) , in hopeless with names :-)

Cheers.

Alex

nudelooney

Post by nudelooney » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 am

Hi guys!

I'm late to the thread, but if it's not too late: could I attend on the Saturday? I'm either a non-kitter or a very-small-amount-of-kitter. Mostly I'd just like to come and look at what everyone else is doing and put faces to names ... but I might put a beeb or two (and maybe my home-made 6502 computer, if it's in a transportable state by then) in the back of my car, just in case.

And spending time cataloguing Acorn kit for the museum actually sounds like my idea of a really good day! :)

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi Nudelooney(!) I've added you to the no kit list per your PM.. but let me know if you do want to bring kit (per post above) - there's still a place left.
I'm going to ..

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 am

sixxdog_uk wrote:If so Cambridge would be an excellent opportunity to do so if you have any boards available?

If you not the go to guy , sorry ;-) , in hopeless with names :-)

Alex
I should have some with me.

C

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Hail fellow nerdlings.

I live in a 1-bedroom flat in walking distance of the museum. Only reason I haven't visited it yet is because my place already has all the junk I am interested in, and I am free to tinker with it.

If anyone feels the cost of a hotel would be better spent on BBC micros or beer, they are welcome to crash out here.
Also got a parking space, which seems to be an issue with some people wanting to visit.

Handy for the Green Dragon and The Wrestlers pubs.

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:47 am

Keith wrote:Hail fellow nerdlings.

I live in a 1-bedroom flat in walking distance of the museum. Only reason I haven't visited it yet is because my place already has all the junk I am interested in, and I am free to tinker with it.

If anyone feels the cost of a hotel would be better spent on BBC micros or beer, they are welcome to crash out here.
Also got a parking space, which seems to be an issue with some people wanting to visit.

Handy for the Green Dragon and The Wrestlers pubs.
Hi,

are you going to visit the meeting this time?... :D

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:40 am

Yes, I would like to.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Is it too late to confirm attendence? I notice the list has got to 21 and it was said there was space for 20. I#ve got my work schedule for August now, I haven't booked accommodation yet, but I'd be coming Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Looks like there's space for 22, so hopefully you're OK. I could give up my table and become kitless if necessary. In fact I think it will be necessary as both my machines have - I think - original capacitors. And my Master PSU is showing signs of failing too.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:34 am

BigEd wrote:Looks like there's space for 22, so hopefully you're OK. I could give up my table and become kitless if necessary. In fact I think it will be necessary as both my machines have - I think - original capacitors. And my Master PSU is showing signs of failing too.
Ok, I'll book accommodation for the weekend.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Can I come along on the Saturday as a no kitter if there is still space?
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

flibble

Post by flibble » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm

I think it's always OK to come as a no-kitter, just pay the museum entry fee :D

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:42 am

flibble wrote:I think it's always OK to come as a no-kitter, just pay the museum entry fee :D
Kinda. In this case, a no-kitter = person bringing a laptop at most, and gets a seat at a table potentially hosting two people with kit.

At most, we can comfortably squeeze 22 kitters (2 to a table, a chair each), plus 5 people (no kitters) dotted around one of these tables with a chair.
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:47 am

Hi all
Turkish Restaurant on the saturday.

Only a few weeks away to the meet up now, so I'd like to start gathering names for those who would like to go to the Turkish restaurant on the Saturday night so I can confirm booking. I'll add names to a restaurant list in the top post.

I'll PM everyone asking whether you want to attend. Atternatively feel free to PM me or post here.

Cheers,
Jason
PS On the Friday, we'll order take out/s and eat/drink at the Centre.
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:49 am

pau1ie wrote:Can I come along on the Saturday as a no kitter if there is still space?
Yup - there's a space. I'll add you to the list :)
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am

jgharston wrote:Is it too late to confirm attendence? I notice the list has got to 21 and it was said there was space for 20. I#ve got my work schedule for August now, I haven't booked accommodation yet, but I'd be coming Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon.
Sorry JGH - missed this.

No it's not too late. One place left. I'll add you to it
I'm going to ..