Micro Mike or any other Disability Tech

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
OneSwitch

Micro Mike or any other Disability Tech

Post by OneSwitch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Interested to get a Micro Mike set-up, which could convert a microphone into an input device. Maybe also known as a magic box.

Also interested in an official Nidd Slo-mo device, gated joystick and anything else related.

Cheers,

Barrie

billcarr2005

Re: Micro Mike or any other Disability Tech

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

I've just found a disk labelled Micro Mike - don't suppose it's any use without the actual peripheral, but I'll image it ASAP whilst I remember and post it here.

EDIT: Posted disk image
Attachments
MICRO MIKE.zip
MICRO MIKE
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:14 am

Fantastic!! Thank you so much for finding this (to me) lost treasure.

If you ESCAPE then knock out the MicroMike PROC and ONERROR lines you can actually see what the games looked like. But I'm hoping for better than that. Looks like the original microphone controller was an adapted CB Microphone, that connected to the analogue port...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QNA ... er&f=false

I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on what pins it might connect to on the analogue port?

Also, I don't suppose you had any other special education disks, such as "Speak" along with your MicroMike disk?

Anyway, huge thanks. Brilliant find!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 am

Would be interesting to see what the software does with analogue joysticks plugged in :?

Anyway, going on what was said in that extract above, the mic would have been connected to an amplifier/limiter/conditioning circuit, then fed to one of the analogue channels on the analogue port.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 am

OneSwitch wrote:I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on what pins it might connect to on the analogue port?
This can be worked out by reverse engineering the software...

Mark

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 am

It's easy to hack the games to get them to play, but I'd love to get a CB Mike working on a BBC. Here' some info so far...

Hacking the code to test the games benefits from deleting the early ONERROR line. Then find the ADVAL procedure...

DEFPROC ADVAL
V%=ADVAL1DIV(SENSE)
END PROC

...then bodge in something like K$=GET$:IFK$ ="1" V%=0 .... then having a few more keys to vary the value between -255 and +255.

Some of the games ask that the CB mike button is pressed...

So far....

LEFT-ANALOGUE BUTTON is linked to the CB Mike button
(X=ADVAL(0) AND 3 ---- if returns a 1, the button is being pressed)

The MICROPHONE is detected via Analogue Channel 1...

DEFPROC ADVAL
V%=ADVAL1DIV(SENSE)
END PROC

In one game, "SHOUT TO CONTINUE" means V% HAS TO BE OVER 63.

The input voltage has to be 0 volt to 1.8 volt I read here: http://regregex.bbcmicro.net/BPlusUserGuide-1.07.pdf

This is the analogue port pin-out...
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... ort_UG.pdf

And now I'm out of my depth. If anyone could help me build a working MicroMike for this application, likely to be used at some accessible gaming shows and exhibitions, I'd be really appreciative. Will also make it's way into a book I'm writing.
Last edited by OneSwitch on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:36 pm

ADVAL(n) is a function that returns a number between 0 and 65520 (in 4096 steps, so 0, 16, 32, 48, 64 etc) which is the last value converted by the analogue to digital converter chip for the specified channel, where n is a channel number between 1 and 4.

ADVAL(0) is a function that returns a number that includes the status of the digital button inputs on the analogue port (e.g. joystick fire buttons) and the last analogue channel to complete the analogue to digital conversion.

ADVAL(-n) is a function that returns the status of a buffer as specified by the negative number -n.

More details in the Beeb User guide.

DIV(n) is a integer function that returns the whole number part of a division.

So in the bit of code you posted, SENSE looks like it is being used as a sensitivity setting. Likely used so the output level of different microphones and different users can be adjusted for.

Analogue channel 1 is being used in this code.

Mark

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Ah, that's all useful info, thanks Mark. Expands upon a little I looked into myself (I've edited the last post to reflect).

Looks like channel 1's used. Now I'm really keen to build a MicroMike if anyone can help me with the circuit needed (I'm a bit rubbish with that kind of thing, but I can solder).

Parts wise...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIC-FOR-MIDLA ... 1132764093 (CB microphone - has four wires)....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB15-15-Pin-1 ... 1691068692 (15 pin d-sub wide)...

Any other thoughts appreciated.

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Have tracked someone down with a few Micromikes. Hope to grab one soon, and will share more here when I get a chance. BTW, analogue joysticks do have some effect on the Micromike games/activities, so you can experiment with Beebem if curious.

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 pm

While scanning some pages from old magazines, I found this advert for a related product that I thought you might find interesting.
Attachments
OrionData-MicroCommand.jpg
Micro Command

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:42 am

Very! That's the earliest speech control over games I think I've seen. Great find, thanks for sharing. :)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:22 am

World of Spectrum has an entry for this :wink:

Mark

Spike_tabb

Post by Spike_tabb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 am

Apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread (it took a while for my account to be authorised), but did you get what you needed on MicroMike?

Alan

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 am

I missed this first time around, but I saw one of these in action at my school when helping out at a day showing how computers could help children improve control over their voice and bodies.

OneSwitch

Post by OneSwitch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Not the fastest way to communicate (2 years gap) but, yes I did eventually get a Micromike, thanks. Although not a boxed one. Also one of the ZX Spectrum speech devices too:

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/art.php?id=252

Still would love to find some more info on the Micromike (instructions / box) and these:

Brilliant Computing's Arcade Adventures and Break-time Games disks for the BBC Micro.

Derek Harrison's Compact BIMH programs.

Nidd Slo-Mo

One day. :)