Key switch for a Master/Electron

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Wookie

Key switch for a Master/Electron

Post by Wookie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 am

Hi

Does anyone have a spare Master/Electron type key switch I can have, so I can avoid cannibalising a working electron just to repair my master ?

The switch it's self actually still works but the white plastic bit that the key top clips onto is broken off/missing.

Thanks
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

flaxcottage

Re: Key switch for a Master/Electron

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 am

PM Mark at Retroclinic. I bet he has loads. :D
- John

Wookie

Post by Wookie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm

flaxcottage wrote:PM Mark at Retroclinic. I bet he has loads. :D
Good Idea.

I contacted Mark and yes he has them at a pound each :shock: only kidding :lol: so I've ordered 2 that way I'll have a spare that I'll never need :D
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:58 am

Hi,

Looking for a few of these too, yes, I know Mark is selling them at £1 + P&P, but as I need a few, the cost will probably get to the point where I could buy a working Electron off ebay and have lots of keys for not too much more money. It's obviously not a great idea to buy a working machine to break for spares though.

So, does anyone have a broken Electron (or Master) keyboard, or a number of (working) keys that they'd like to sell please?

Regards
Dave

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am

stevendt wrote:Hi,

Looking for a few of these too, yes, I know Mark is selling them at £1 + P&P, but as I need a few, the cost will probably get to the point where I could buy a working Electron off ebay and have lots of keys for not too much more money. ..
I'm curious: why do you need a few? Did you know they are quite easy to fix if not physically broken (bits broken off)? See this thread.
Paul

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out

Regards
Dave
richardtoohey wrote:Might be worth a bid?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-Electro ... 1754539625

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the thread.

The reason that I need a few, is that they are the same keyswitches as used in MTX computers. I have a couple of my own machines that have a couple of problematic keys - more than just sticky switches. I have also just got a machine to fix for a mate and he has at least one u/s key.

The MTX is what I spend most of my Retro time on, and if I am going to get any switches, then I might as well stock up while I'm at it. The keys are commonly a problem on an MTX and they can't always be revived by exercise/cleaning

Regards
Dave

DutchAcorn wrote:
stevendt wrote:Hi,

Looking for a few of these too, yes, I know Mark is selling them at £1 + P&P, but as I need a few, the cost will probably get to the point where I could buy a working Electron off ebay and have lots of keys for not too much more money. ..
I'm curious: why do you need a few? Did you know they are quite easy to fix if not physically broken (bits broken off)? See this thread.

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:48 am

Found this, people might find it useful......

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Futaba_low-profile_linear

Good description of the key-switches, disassembly, reassembly and some good photos of the parts

regards
Dave

p.s., I bought the Electron !

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:13 am

stevendt wrote:p.s., I bought the Electron !
Looks like it didn't go very cheaply in the end, but that seems to be the way of things these days. But hopefully (whisper) a good number of decent key switches in there for you.

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 am

Yes, it was a bit more than I'd hoped to pay for a non-working machine.

As you say though, hopefully, I can get a lot of good switches from it

regards
Dave

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 am

It's sold as untested so it may well work! So can we congratulate you with your Acorn Electron and help finding a new key cap for the letter "X"? 8)

You are not seriously considering to mutilate a (potentially) working Electron are you? :twisted: :lol:
Paul

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:31 am

DutchAcorn wrote:mutilate
What a harsh word! How about "re-purpose"? :wink:

Or "it will live on" ... in a bunch of other machines? :lol:

Definitely don't throw any bits out - you never know when someone might come along here needing an Electron space bar or lower case or ... etc.

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:04 am

DutchAcorn wrote:It's sold as untested so it may well work! So can we congratulate you with your Acorn Electron and help finding a new key cap for the letter "X"? 8)

Don't even joke about it!

I have recently taken on yet more projects that I don't have time to start, never mind finish! I couldn't possibly start an Electron project too.
Mmm, could I? .........
NO - stop! ! !

[-X

You are not seriously considering to mutilate a (potentially) working Electron are you? :twisted: :lol:

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 am

richardtoohey wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:mutilate
What a harsh word! How about "re-purpose"? :wink:

Or "it will live on" ... in a bunch of other machines? :lol:

Definitely don't throw any bits out - you never know when someone might come along here needing an Electron space bar or lower case or ... etc.

Well, you could say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" :D

No, won't throw anything away, at least, not unless the wife makes me :(

Return to “wanted”