Looking to buy BBC Model B

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
English Invader

Looking to buy BBC Model B

Post by English Invader » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:29 pm

I'm looking to purchase a BBC but I'm having difficulties finding anything suitable on eBay. It's either £100+ for a lottery ticket that came out of someone's loft or a £200-£350 refurbished system with new power supply capacitors from a £3 kit and a £20 SD card interface. I don't begrudge sellers money for their skills, time and expertise but £350 is too much compared to how much the components cost.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a system with the power supply capacitors replaced as I've never soldered before and from what I've seen on YT it looks like quite a complex job. The SD card interface looks like something I can handle on my own and I intend to post another thread elsewhere to discuss the different options.

I'm based in the UK and although this is my first post here I've been posting on other forums (including AtariAge, Lemon 64 and Denial) for many years and traded on them with no complaints.

tricky

Re: Looking to buy BBC Model B

Post by tricky » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Welcome and good luck with your beeb hunt.

IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:39 am

Look what just arrived for £95 BiN on eBay ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392911397329

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am

IanJeffray wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:39 am
Look what just arrived for £95 BiN on eBay ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392911397329
Nice find. And a free Elite key strip!

Best be quick though it won’t hang around long at that price.

As far as the PSU you can get that serviced by Mark at Retroclinic for a fair price.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:26 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am
... and it didn't!
- John

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am

flaxcottage wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:26 am
Lardo Boffin wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:41 am
... and it didn't!
News travels fast. The seller provided a good description. He wasn't able to fully test but he confirmed the beep and the red lit caps lock key confirmed a responsive OS. Thank you everyone for your help. I'm now the proud owner of a BBC Micro! :D .

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:36 am

English Invader wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am
I'm now the proud owner of a BBC Micro! :D .
You probably actually mean your *first* BBC Micro! :lol:
Atom, issue 5
Elk

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:36 am
You probably actually mean your *first* BBC Micro! :lol:
Yes, that's correct although I did get to use one in primary school. I think we were overawed by the monitor, printer and floppy disk drive. It made it look like a far more powerful system than it actually was. The ZX Spectrum (which is what most kids got back in the day) had a faster processor and more memory and the VIC-20 had memory expansions for the 16 and 32k configurations of the A and B BBC Micros as well as the monitor, printer, floppy drive (and modem) for those who had the money to spend.

And, much to my delight, the BBC I purchased yesterday has arrived today and is sitting in its box ready for me to open it (I didn't expect it to arrive so quickly for £8 shipping). I've arranged for Mark to recap the PSU and it's just a question of removing it from the system and sending it to him.

Thank you again to everyone for your help!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm

I think the comment about your ‘first’ BBC Micro is a humorous reference to a lot of people here having started off with just one Acorn machine, but now having multiple Acorn machines.... You’re find people have a back up machine, and a back up for the back up machine, or different models / different board versions...

There is also a rumour that if left alone, they will breed like a Tribble...

Mark

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:06 pm
I think the comment about your ‘first’ BBC Micro is a humorous reference to a lot of people here having started off with just one Acorn machine, but now having multiple Acorn machines.... You’re find people have a back up machine, and a back up for the back up machine, or different models / different board versions...

There is also a rumour that if left alone, they will breed like a Tribble...

Mark
I'm already getting an itch for a Master 128 after spotting the Stunt Car Racer port in the internet archive site :lol: .

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Mark is correct. I was alluding to the fact that once you get one Acorn you suddenly find yourself surrounded by them. And Sinclairs. And Ataris. And Commodores. And.....
Nobody knows how it happens (except maybe eBay). :shock:
Atom, issue 5
Elk

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:01 pm

I don't understand as well. I rediscovered by first home computer clearing my parents house (ZX81), then wanted again an Electron, then added another Electron with MRB and finally ended up buying a B+ on sale on this forum for a reasonable price , eBay prices can get quite high. Reading all this talk about Atoms on this forum has got me curious to find out more. I did consider getting an Atom before the Electron came out, as I couldn't afford a BBC B at the time. I never regretted buying the Electron.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Return to “wanted”