Wanted: Sherston software titles on disc

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
scarybeasts

Wanted: Sherston software titles on disc

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi,

I'm researching BBC disc copy protection mechanisms and most of the later Sherston Software titles have interesting things written on the discs. Does anyone have any Sherston Software discs they would consider selling?

Cheers
Chris

eelco108

Re: Wanted: Sherston software titles on disc

Post by eelco108 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi Chris,

opening up some boxes that have not been opened in a long time I found a Sherston title I remembered buying when my son was growing up in Edinburgh ... there are two discs, one 80 track one, and a 40 track one (to be used on both sides ...). Very odd that.
The 80 track one works fine, and is copy-protected (lots of disc access ...). I have not tried the 40 track one (need to dig out the 40 track drive), but it reads the first track when issueing star dot, so should be OK. I'll check if you like.

I took some images:
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG
So this could be something you are looking for. I ended up living in Germany, so postage is a little more than within the UK, but not too bad (just over four pound sterling without tracking). I think I paid GBP 10 for it at the time, but I'm not looking for a profit: would sell for less. It does come with manual, plastic cover, keyboard sitckers, etc., but you probably don't care about these!

Best,
Eelco

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:14 am

Hi Eelco,

Thanks so much, this is perfect! I checked these titles against @billcarr's FSD files (hat tip to him!) and they indeed contain the copy protection of interest. There's currently a big thread over on the "archive issues" board titled "Archive of FSD files?" which gets into it.

I'll PM you to arrange the particulars.

Cheers
Chris

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 am

Eelco's only got 6 posts so might not be able to reply to a PM ... but if you PM an email address I think Eelco will at at least be able to read the PM.

eelco108

Post by eelco108 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Yes, I'm a newbie to this forum (great discovery!), but not to BBC micros (got five of them still ...) and their successors ...

Anyway, got the PM, we'll take it offline!

Return to “wanted”