Wanted: DNFS ROM (and Maybe Hi-BASIC)

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
dhoggan

Wanted: DNFS ROM (and Maybe Hi-BASIC)

Post by dhoggan »

Hi,

I recently picked up a 6502 second processor off eBay, but it doesn't have the DNFS or Hi-Basic ROMs. I have found CJE has the Hi-BASIC one, but does anyone have a spare DNFS one that I can buy. If you do have Hi-BASIC then might be interested in that too - keeps shipping simple.

Thanks,

Dave
Model B Issue 7 - Dual Gotek/5.25"; IFEL Sideways board; RetroClinic Co-Pro; VideoNuLA
Master 128K - Gotek; RetroClinic Co-Pro, CF HDD & DualOS

Main interest: BBC computer languages
CMcDougall

Re: Wanted: DNFS ROM (and Maybe Hi-BASIC)

Post by CMcDougall »

for the LOLPRICE stuff from CJE, you would be cheaper buying an Eprom programmer for PC or beeb & blow your own!

Blank eproms are only about a £1 ,
sure DNFS is just the 8271FDC v1.20 DFS :?
ImageImageImage
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Hi,

Yes, the prices are a bit high, but in the absence of anything else - assuming they actually have them.

Whilst the idea of buying a EPROM programmer is appealing (not least 'cos I might actually get COMAL that way and complete my childhood setup!), I was hoping to keep things original if possible. But the cost of the programmer alone is over what CJE would charge for both chips.
Model B Issue 7 - Dual Gotek/5.25"; IFEL Sideways board; RetroClinic Co-Pro; VideoNuLA

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I get my ROMs from Mark at Retroclinic. Few quid each.

http://www.retroclinic.com/
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'd say an eprom was pretty original :D -> quite frequently things would be distributed on those instead of mask ROMs. Retroclinic will furnish you with ROMs at a reasonable price.

Re. HiBASIC - I think most people loaded it off disc on the beeb, as it just gets copied from ROM into the RAM of the second processor?

d.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Daniel is correct. Loading HiBASIC from disc is a good idea. You can try with HiBASIC versions 2, 3 and 4. http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic/BBC/
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Thanks everyone - I'll drop Mark an email to see if he can help.

As for loading off disk, that makes sense but right now I'm looking for a single disk drive as my unit has packed up. So until I find one of those, I'll settle on the chip version.At least it'll get me up-and-running.

Thanks,

Dave

danielj

Post by danielj »

If usability is a driving factor over nostalgia, have a look into Gotek Floppy Emulators with the flashfloppy firmware installed on them. You can stop using media that falls to bits and just use a USB stick/SD card instead :)

d.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

If you get stuck I have both which I could flash for you for the cost of the eprom & postage.
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Oooh, thanks for the offer but I've already ordered them from Mark at Retroclinic. Just waiting for them (and and the second processor!) to arrive.

Dave

Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Oooh, thanks for the offer but I've already ordered them from Mark at Retroclinic. Just waiting for them
No problem.
(and and the second processor!)
Got a few of those too, in cheese wedges. Must get them out and check them over.

Return to “wanted”