Wanted Prestel Adapter

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
John_Newcombe

Wanted Prestel Adapter

Post by John_Newcombe » Sat May 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Looking for a Prestel adapter. Need the actual adapter as I am not looking for just the case. I have built the TELSTAR Viewdata system (stardot search will explain all) and I want to see what can be done with an actual Modem.

There is one on eBay but seems a tad expensive at £69 and the owner (a business) wont accept an offer. Thought I would ask here just in case someone has one they are prepared to give new a new lease of life to. Would also love docs and stuff if available.

z0m8ied0g

Re: Wanted Prestel Adapter

Post by z0m8ied0g » Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 am

Hi,

I've got a few, I'd be happy to lend you one but not sell it.
I had them to do the same thing, I had a demo ViewData system running and the intention is to create a gateway to other systems.
I'll try and get the dial up gateway working again, I had it pointing to my system then you could "Telnet" out to other ones such as CCL4.
I could point the gateway directly at your system if you are ok with that?

Cheers

Stephen
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Sun May 20, 2018 11:39 am

I have one - PM me with an offer (letting me know your location), noting that I won't be able to ship it for at least a fortnight.

/John

John_Newcombe

Post by John_Newcombe » Sun May 20, 2018 3:39 pm

johnkenyon wrote:I have one - PM me with an offer (letting me know your location), noting that I won't be able to ship it for at least a fortnight.

/John
I have PMd

John_Newcombe

Post by John_Newcombe » Sun May 20, 2018 3:50 pm

z0m8ied0g wrote:Hi,

I've got a few, I'd be happy to lend you one but not sell it.
I had them to do the same thing, I had a demo ViewData system running and the intention is to create a gateway to other systems.
I'll try and get the dial up gateway working again, I had it pointing to my system then you could "Telnet" out to other ones such as CCL4.
I could point the gateway directly at your system if you are ok with that?

Cheers

Stephen
That is a very kind offer, I have sent a message to John Kenyon in the hope of purchasing his, however, if for any reason that doesn't work out, I may take you up on your offer. I am particularly interested in the signalling that occurs on the RTS/CTS lines for dialling and call set up etc.

I would be very interested to hear more about your dial in system, I have a few V23bis modems here so I could give it a go once its up and running. In terms of connecting to TELSTAR, I would be honoured to have you 'Gateway' to me. TELSTAR is in its infancy and the code is currently being updated on a daily basis. Content is mostly dynamic, taking feeds from BBC, Reuters etc. 'Look and feel' needs some work but it is improving albeit slowly.

Details are here...
https://glasstty.com/wiki/index.php/Int ... ata_system

Kind Regards
John

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 am

John_Newcombe wrote: That is a very kind offer, I have sent a message to John Kenyon in the hope of purchasing his, however, if for any reason that doesn't work out, I may take you up on your offer. I am particularly interested in the signalling that occurs on the RTS/CTS lines for dialling and call set up etc.
The Acorn Prestel adaptor is an early 1980's version of a WinModem. No Hayes "ATD" commands to dial out here, mainly because that kind of tech either didn't exist or was too expensive to implement.
It has no controller, so all the things like on-hook/dial a number are done by the BBC. This is done by manipulating the RTS line and RxD, and using the CTS line to signal Carrier detect and ring indication (although I have a feeling that the production model may have had ring detection as a "Not fitted" option.

I would suggest looking at the Prestel Adaptor service manual at http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... stelSM.pdf

Other modems of that era were probably a bit more advanced or used their own version of RTS+TxD signalling to do the same job

/John

z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g » Wed May 23, 2018 12:09 am

John_Newcombe wrote:I would be very interested to hear more about your dial in system, I have a few V23bis modems here so I could give it a go once its up and running. In terms of connecting to TELSTAR, I would be honoured to have you 'Gateway' to me.
I'll try and get it all up and running at some point, its been an ongoing project for quite a while.
An example of it running is shown in the following video. My communicator dials into it via the dial in server and is connected to my BBS. I then connect back out to CCL4 via telnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsSl-YkFtHI
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net

John_Newcombe

Post by John_Newcombe » Thu May 24, 2018 7:07 pm

This is great, would love to hear more about the server side, what does it run on, what language etc is is written in?

In terms of Telstar I have added more content, in particular Government content from the Office of Rail and Road, and Highways England, I can now show up to the minute (well 10 minutes) details of road and rail delays.

Full details and some screen shots here... https://glasstty.com/wiki/index.php/Int ... ata_system