WTD: NTSC Compatible TV

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
nOmArch

WTD: NTSC Compatible TV

Post by nOmArch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I have aquired a US NES for playing Tetris but need a compatible TV for it, preferably under 20".

Had a look in the usual places but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas or a set hanging around they would be happy to part with?

thanks

nOm
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

danielj

Re: WTD: NTSC Compatible TV

Post by danielj » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 pm

If it has composite out - I think it does?- then pretty much any modern TV will display it AFAIK.

d.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 am

Yes, but composite only outputs B&W which would not work at all for tetris on the higher levels.

Unfortunately Classic Tetris community is pretty clear that you need an NTSC campatible TV to be able to play properly. It comes up a lot as the PAL version of Tetris runs faster than the NTSC one and because of that is essentially a different game.
Alex

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 am

I don't have a NES, so forgive me if this is unhelpful.

What video outputs does a NTSC NES actually have? I'm guessing just RF and monochrome baseband/composite video...?

Mark

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am

nOmArch wrote:Hi Guys,

I have aquired a US NES for playing Tetris but need a compatible TV for it, preferably under 20".

Had a look in the usual places but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas or a set hanging around they would be happy to part with?

thanks

nOm
If the NES has a composite video (yellow RCA/phono jack) output, try connecting that to an existing TV - I think many late model CRT sets were multi standard by default as it was cheaper to have a "one size fits all markets" design - the cheapo 32" CRT I bought in 2004 definitely accepted various flavours of colour encoding plus VHF.

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 am

1024MAK wrote:I don't have a NES, so forgive me if this is unhelpful.

What video outputs does a NTSC NES actually have? I'm guessing just RF and monochrome baseband/composite video...?

Mark
Yup thats correct.
Alex

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 am

johnkenyon wrote:
If the NES has a composite video (yellow RCA/phono jack) output, try connecting that to an existing TV - I think many late model CRT sets were multi standard by default as it was cheaper to have a "one size fits all markets" design - the cheapo 32" CRT I bought in 2004 definitely accepted various flavours of colour encoding plus VHF.
NES wont arrive on these shores til next week but I'll give my 22" a try which was late 90's IIRC.

Looks like its time to start hitting the charity shops. I suppose worst case scenario I could get one of those cheapy knockoff extron IV (???) boxes and just plug it into something a bit newer.
Alex

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 am

That's a shame, as although European TVs are usually able to display NTSC colour pictures via baseband/composite video, most are unable to do this via the RF 'aerial' input :(

Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 am

Composite on the NES is colour, I'm quite sure. NTSC colour, but colour nonetheless.

d.