A30x0 keyboard

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
mattdy4

A30x0 keyboard

Post by mattdy4 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

Looking for a keyboard or just the membrane membrane for my A3010 as it's not typing full list of characters after storage.

Anyone with a spare please let me know. Cheers!

RobC

Re: A30x0 keyboard

Post by RobC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

I may have a spare membrane/keyboard but are you sure that's where the fault lies?

The keyboard connectors are prone to fail from corrosion or it could be the tracks leading to the connectors...

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:45 pm

As Rob says, it's most likely to be the connectors or the contacts at that end. You can use PCB repair paint to fix these.

d.

mattdy4

Post by mattdy4 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm

My 3010 is the version with the battery in the top right hand corner (tiny amount of spillage, removed and cleaned) though the machine spent the last 20 years in my garage with stuff piled on top so I suspect it's made an indentation somehow in the membrane.

When I pulled it out and booted to RO it simulated a (-) keypress but once the membrane was cleaned with IPA it still has issues with that key and/or other keys though this could be due to it not being reassembled properly (sooo many clips).

The boards k/b connectors look clean and have given them a decent clean with contact cleaner but without another keyboard on hand to test I can't be sure. I do need time either way to diagnose the membrane even if I can get hold of another one, just wish there was an easy way to test. Shame no-one makes them or has reproduced them like Amiga keyboards

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm

You can usually spot breaks in the membrane by eye (or just test with a meter).

The PCB mounted connectors are a bit more of a pain as it can sometimes be difficult to tell whether they are making good contact with the membrane. However, it's still worth checking that there are no breaks between the contacts and the ICs on the PCB.

Also, if you've got an A5000 keyboard, I believe these use the same internals.