Risc PC or RPC bits

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
mr-macrisc

Risc PC or RPC bits

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Bit of a small to no chance here...

But as i just found our one of my relations has dumped my freeking risc pc and my wee lad is autistic and look after him full time (so tbh don't have close to budget that's being asked for them on ebay) I was gonna just say sod it but after thinking thought may as well ask..

Freeking utterly gutted as it was a rev 1(16bit), fast SA, fast x86 card, 256mb, 2mb vram, 10/100, blitz ide, storm scsi, midi max 2, 2 slice machine in perfect working order and, well, ain't getting close to that spec again for budget i have :(

Anyway on off chance someone may have anything useful RPC/rpc related for non silly costs please give me a shout.

Thanks

John

danielj

Re: Risc PC or RPC bits

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! Whilst your post may be completely genuine, there have been similar posts on this and other forums by brand new members where attempts have been made to procure items cheaply then resell for profit. So, although I do not wish to cast aspersions, I would encourage long-standing members to be cautious of new users requesting freebies or cheap items. We're a good natured bunch and people have attempted to take advantage in the past.

d.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Wasn't trying to take advantage... Just looking to see if anyone had anything useful to me for a decent price (as you do see people getting people getting rid of kit much cheaper than a company doing it as a full time job).

Only found out it was gone after i posted a question about whether any podules with spdif out exist. As it turns out... Yes an irlam ir16 but as header does i2s i could also use that to make a wee bespoke way to hook up a quality DAC.

Not begging or asking for free kit only asking if anything coming up for sale at a lower price point. Just if something cheaper please consider me. Only want one machine or some bits for a machine and once i have a single machine i won't need any more so add will be removed or marked as complete.

Still got a few bits here to go in it that i can photo... Castle Storm scsi, ARCin, movie magic (though probs won't use), midi max ii, x86 card but that's about all i have that's useful.

Yes i am a new member but all the old places are gone and a lot less kit turning up now hence joining somewhere new to ask. Plan to use it for sibilius and midi music (hooked up to my big Doepfer pk88 stage piano and some midi sound modules), some retro gaming and explore some other things i can maybe use it for. A distraction really from full time caring.

Not much i can do or say to prove i am not a total t*at taking the pi** but can't see what I can do to disprove it so guess my add will most likely now be ignored and classed as a chancer.

My last rpc i purchased from Liquid Silicon in Kirkcaldy s/h (issue 1 arm 600) and built it up getting bits on eBay or from schools selling off kit etc and reckon uncle has binned it although everyone claims no knowledge :(. Even have odd acorn user cover disc from when i was back in high school in 90/91ish

I am john.hogg3 on Facebook (one with 335 in profile pic) and mr1macuk on eBay. So you can see i am not a trader and have superb feedback

Also mr-mac on hpc-factor forum as used to have some win Ce handheld pc devices (Sigmarion 3 and Smartnook g138). Smartbook would have been great for risc os portable as was a strongarm 200 with one of those programmable chips (name escapes me at moment) running as its bridge i think. User flashable roms and 128mb ram.
Last edited by mr-macrisc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi there,
Alas we're really not in a position to divine the truth in these situations, but when someone's first post is a request for stuff it usually sets alarm bells ringing - I hope you'll appreciate why we encourage people to be careful.

Please, get stuck in - talk to people, reminisce :)

In so far as getting riscpc bits cheaper than CJE, without doubt the best thing to do is pop along to one of the RiscOS shows that still exist - e.g. Wakefield, and the London/South West shows.

d.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Would jump at show. But with wee lad being non verbal and me being in Leuchars in Scotland i doubt getting to one will ever happen.

Be having a play with a rpi too but fancy doing some more music as well so rpc kinda needed for midi.

Like i say don't want free or for people to go Acht here have it cheap just if are selling cheap give us a heads up.

Fave BBC b game was either Sim or Palace of Magic (was young), earlier Ghoul was great. Loved e-type on school acorns, repton goes without saying and always was a huge defender fan. And Zool was superb

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm

I'd also check the Acorn/BBC facebook group. Things pop up there quite a bit.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Will do, much appreciated. On a risc os and archy one but no much happens on em...

Any likely places appreciated or if anyone sees kit advertised anywhere at a good piece I'd appreciate if could share link if not looking yourself :)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi John

Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section ;-)

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm

danielj wrote:I'd also check the Acorn/BBC facebook group. Things pop up there quite a bit.
Linky: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AcornAndBBCMicro/

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm

1024MAK wrote:Hi John

Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself in the introduce yourself section ;-)

Mark
Will do once todays wee man bombsite is cleared

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 pm

sydney wrote:
danielj wrote:I'd also check the Acorn/BBC facebook group. Things pop up there quite a bit.
Linky: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AcornAndBBCMicro/
Found right one then... Just joined 5min ago ;)

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm

And on here you'll find the "worth taking a look at" thread.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and willing to take a chance on dodgy looking riscpcs, you'll find your options are much enhanced!

d.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

danielj wrote:And on here you'll find the "worth taking a look at" thread.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and willing to take a chance on dodgy looking riscpcs, you'll find your options are much enhanced!

d.
Average with iron but can defo have a go at stuff and probs fix a few things maybe. Defo have a go if it gets me back in fold ;)

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm

If the main sticking point with the Pi is the lack of a MIDI interface, it may be worth reading through this thread:
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/11/topics/1651

There's a (WiP) module that implements the RISC OS MIDI API through a USB interface. I've thought about trying it out a few times but haven't got round to it yet. However, it might be worth a shot if you've already got a Pi and should be cheaper than getting hold of a working RiscPC...

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 pm

I am gonna guess a lot of music, midi, notation etc software is 26bit so maybe rpi not ideal but can try it ;)

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 am

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 am

danielj wrote:Solution for that :)
http://sendiri.co.uk/aemulor/index.html
Cool, that's been updated since last looked :)

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 am

Will look a bot harder at rpi and what i can do on if... Will still be looking for cheaper rpc but can take my time ;)

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Seems for midi music sib 7 and the other good software the rpc is still the best setup. Rpi midi USB is coming along bit still not a full implementation you'd have hooked up to higher end tone generator.

I am ordering an Rpi 3b though and will be using that to get back into using risc os and will be on hunt for cheapo RPC and things like strong arm etc as and when they come up for good value ;)

helpful

Post by helpful » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 am

If you can find an old RPi 1 that isn't wanted any more because it is underpowered for running Linux, it makes a great RISC OS machine! Plus it is slightly more compatible with old software than the Pi3.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm

helpful wrote:If you can find an old RPi 1 that isn't wanted any more because it is underpowered for running Linux, it makes a great RISC OS machine! Plus it is slightly more compatible with old software than the Pi3.
Ah well gumtree and £15 landed me an rpi 3b in case. No sd or psu bit that's already sorted. Got a card for debian and one for risc os. If i like risk os on it I'll maybe look at grabbing an early one just for risc os.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am

Well

Least if i find an RPC I just happened across an old Logitech 3 button mouse which i had from one of two rpc's i used to have.

Lucky as they seem hard to come by these days :)