Master keyboard IDC connector

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
robert24

Master keyboard IDC connector

Post by robert24 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:38 pm

So got the Master 128 out and powered up. Noticed that the LEDs weren't working and found some cracked PCB tracks. Tried to solder across and eventually had to solder some wire across. Got them to work (very inelegantly) but found that we had broken the IDC connectors from the little PCB. The cable has gone very stiff.

Is this something we can source ? some more 15 wire IDC cable and the end connectors, maybe we can try to open and reuse the existing connectors, anyone got a complete keyboard with cables that they don't need?

Any advice welcome. Otherwise it's probably another job for Mark at RetroClinic (luv his service but it's getting to be an expensive hobby)
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
--
Thanks for a great Beeb resource :-)

danielj

Re: Master keyboard IDC connector

Post by danielj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 pm

What I would do is desolder what's there, clear the holes out, trim the plastic back slightly (2/3mm - enough to get the ends of the wires through the holes and to the pads), and then resolder it. I'll just be brittle at the end where it was flexing against the PCB. It'll be fine inside the sheath. Does that sound like something you'd be OK doing? Take it slow! You'll need a solder sucker and desoldering braid.

d.

crj

Post by crj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 pm

If you want a new ribbon cable, they can still be got. That's a 20-way, but I expect it would be trivial to trim down to size.

Alternatively, a less elegant but more straightforward option might be to invest in a pack of these.

robert24

Post by robert24 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks for your responses. Both useful. Will let you know if we succeed.
--

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

What I tend to use for things like this as I have an absolute metric buttload of old floppy & IDE cables, is a single row pinheader on the keyboard and then an appropreate sized cable plugged into it as long as you use the same side on both ends and align them to the same end of the connector it works absolutely OK.

Much less hassle than soldering wires to the board, especially as I tend to have my machines apart quite frequently so soldered joints would just break again :(

Cheers.

Phill.

crj

Post by crj » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 pm

I agree that using a 0.05"-pitch ribbon cable with double-row connectors as a substitute for a 0.1"-pitch with single-row is normally fine.

Unfortunately, space is pretty tight for the Master's keyboard ribbon cables...

robert24

Post by robert24 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Prime wrote:a single row pinheader
could you point me towards a supplier web page for such an item ? We find finding what we want is very different from knowing what we want.

plus... can I too get "an absolute metric buttload" ? is that different from an Imperial buttload (absolute or relative) ?

The more we look at it the more we're thinking about choosing packaging for a trip to haysman land.
--

Prime

Post by Prime » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 am

robert24 wrote:
Prime wrote:a single row pinheader
could you point me towards a supplier web page for such an item ? We find finding what we want is very different from knowing what we want.
Something like these :

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect- ... ug-22-0545

Or the right-angle ones :

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1012018 ... ed-50-8030

Note I just buy the 36 way ones and cut them down to the required length, but you can get them in other sizes.

Cheers.

Phill.