Wanted: Disc Drives for BBC B

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
KayjayUK

Wanted: Disc Drives for BBC B

Post by KayjayUK » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm looking for a pair of drives house on top of each other, 40/80 double sided and with psu. Now I know that is a long shot, I used to have a set with that spec and I think I sold them on in the 90's probably to raise funds when I wasn't using the Beeb.

I'm not tied to that spec, obviously if that was available I'd go for it in front of any others but I am open. The psu part isn't necessary as neither the casing, I have a spare case I can transfer the drives to, I can also get away with just 80 track. The only absolute part is them being double sided.

Happy to pay a reasonable price along with any postage costs of course.

Keith
From little Acorns great Beebs grow!

danielj

Re: Wanted: Disc Drives for BBC B

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:19 pm

If no one has one knocking about, I know Mark Hayesman (Retroclinic) will do a refurbished set like that for about £95 (I think) - his stuff is always properly checked out, cleaned up and fixed. Website: http://www.retroclinic.com/ or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RetroClinic/

sydney

Post by sydney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 pm

crj

Post by crj » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:13 am

Those are 3.5" drives, which are probably not what was wanted.

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:42 am

crj wrote:Those are 3.5" drives, which are probably not what was wanted.
DOH! #-o
Well, my excuse is it was late and I was tired and somehow combined this thread with the 'BBC II micro' thread where they are taking about 3" and 3.5" drives. I could have sworn the OP asked for 3.5" drives!

The ones I posted look nice though don't they.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:45 am

They do indeed! :)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm

They should for LOLprice £60+pp :shock:

glad i have 20 uploft so £600... :lol:
ImageImageImage

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm

I've got some that came with a BBC B I picked up off eBay. I haven't cleaned or tested them yet... they are Opus branded but drive 1 has been replaced by a Pace branded drive at some point.

Give me a few days to service it and if you're still interested I'll sell them.

KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:23 am

sydney wrote:
crj wrote:Those are 3.5" drives, which are probably not what was wanted.
DOH! #-o
Well, my excuse is it was late and I was tired and somehow combined this thread with the 'BBC II micro' thread where they are taking about 3" and 3.5" drives. I could have sworn the OP asked for 3.5" drives!

The ones I posted look nice though don't they.

Yep, they're certainly pretty but I was looking for 5 1/4" . You are forgiven though if only for the humour :D
Keith

Incidentally I made a similar mistake with someone regarding the ports because I hadn't slept for two days. I was begging for sleep but it wouldn't come so instead I turned to the computer for comfort and then dropped my almighty ghoul-eee

KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am

cmorley wrote:I've got some that came with a BBC B I picked up off eBay. I haven't cleaned or tested them yet... they are Opus branded but drive 1 has been replaced by a Pace branded drive at some point.

Give me a few days to service it and if you're still interested I'll sell them.
That sounds good, any idea how many beer stamps I need to save up ?
Keith

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 am

Assuming it is all working fine £35 cash. Your location says Stockport, I've got family who work in Manchester so collection would save you postage cost/risk.

KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 am

cmorley wrote:Assuming it is all working fine £35 cash. Your location says Stockport, I've got family who work in Manchester so collection would save you postage cost/risk.

Sounds good, collection is fine for me. Could I have some pics before I make a decision plus your report after looking over them :? :D :D

Keith

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

KayjayUK wrote:Could I have some pics before I make a decision plus your report after looking over them :? :D :D
Of course. I'll service, test and post some photos this weekend.

KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:51 am

cmorley wrote:
KayjayUK wrote:Could I have some pics before I make a decision plus your report after looking over them :? :D :D
Of course. I'll service, test and post some photos this weekend.
Excellent, thanks :)

Keith

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Bad news. :(

There are a host of things wrong with it... internally all the insulation over the mains connections are perrished and falling off (fixable). Drive 0 works but the lever won't latch down (probably easy to fix) - so you have to hold it or it ejects the disc. Drive 1 motor won't spin (maybe terminal). The light comes on so it is getting power and signals.

The original design of the PSU wiring has exposed terminals on the transformer! Best of British construction it seems... :roll:

So sorry this one is NFG. Perhaps drop Mark at Retroclinic an email (or facebook through the Acorn group) and see what he has for sale?

Chris

KayjayUK

Post by KayjayUK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for checking it out for me Chris, much appreciated.

I assume you got my email reply,

Keith