Wanted: Alpine Software ALPS & 4thD Cyber Chess

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
lcww1

Wanted: Alpine Software ALPS & 4thD Cyber Chess

Post by lcww1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 pm

I've been hunting for a couple of Archimedes/RISC OS programs for a while now, without success.

I'm looking for a copy of Alpine Software's ALPS Adventure Game Designer - even CJE Micros no long have this in stock - I've been able to download the ALPS demo disc from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, but the full package seems to be completely unobtainable!

Secondly, I'm after a copy of The Fourth Dimension's Cyber Chess - it seems that I just missed out on a copy from the London Show charity stall earlier today, alas.

I'd be delighted to pay reasonable prices for these titles, if anyone out there has a copy to sell!

lurkio

Re: Wanted: Alpine Software ALPS & 4thD Cyber Chess

Post by lurkio » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:02 pm

The author of ALPS has posted to this thread:
You might want to try contacting him to see if he's got any copies if you can't get one elsewhere.

:?:

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Many thanks for the pointer Lurkio - I can't PM GuitarPhil, but following the link to his blog I can see an email address for him, so I'll contact him that way. Skimming over the previous ALPS thread and the blog I think that it's not looking too hopeful for the Arc version. I'll report back with any news.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Well, CJE have come up trumps! They found an old Archimedes ALPS package when looking for something else, so I've been able to buy this from them. The package contains the manuals, and what I think was the last version of the ALPS software, version 5.12a from August 1995.

I did contact GuitarPhil, formerly of Alpine Software, by email, though I've had no reply so far. It would be great to get his permission for the Arch version of ALPS to be safely archived somewhere....

I'm still on the lookout for Cyber Chess. The statistical likelihood is that a copy will arise on *bay. There will one day be Cyber Chess. ‘Till then, there will be a short delay.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:43 pm

lcww1 wrote:Well, CJE have come up trumps! They found an old Archimedes ALPS package when looking for something else, so I've been able to buy this from them. The package contains the manuals, and what I think was the last version of the ALPS software, version 5.12a from August 1995.
This is great news!
lcww1 wrote:I did contact GuitarPhil, formerly of Alpine Software, by email, though I've had no reply so far. It would be great to get his permission for the Arch version of ALPS to be safely archived somewhere....
I'll email and PM him and ask him.
lcww1 wrote:I'm still on the lookout for Cyber Chess. The statistical likelihood is that a copy will arise on *bay. There will one day be Cyber Chess. ‘Till then, there will be a short delay.
The name's Zarniwoop, by the way.

:mrgreen:

GuitarPhil

Post by GuitarPhil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm

lcww1 wrote:Well, CJE have come up trumps! They found an old Archimedes ALPS package when looking for something else, so I've been able to buy this from them. The package contains the manuals, and what I think was the last version of the ALPS software, version 5.12a from August 1995.

I did contact GuitarPhil, formerly of Alpine Software, by email, though I've had no reply so far. It would be great to get his permission for the Arch version of ALPS to be safely archived somewhere....

I'm still on the lookout for Cyber Chess. The statistical likelihood is that a copy will arise on *bay. There will one day be Cyber Chess. ‘Till then, there will be a short delay.
Hi,

I did get your email but I think it got deleted in a clean-up of my overloaded Inbox so apologies for not replying! Lurkio just emailed me to let me now you had found a copy.

I'm delighted you managed to find a copy of Archimedes ALPS. IIRC that was the last version. I'm happy for it to be archived as it would be a pity for it to be lost forever and I hope to see some new adventures soon :-)

Phil.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi Phil!

Many thanks for your reply to Lurkio’s PM (and thanks to Lurkio for the PM!), and no worries re lost email....my own inbox is, erm, somewhat less than completely organised...

And many thanks for your generosity in giving permission for the Arch ALPS to be archived - I don’t know if ALPS would be of interest to the Archimedes Software Preservation Project http://forums.jaspp.org.uk:9000/forum/, but I could certainly upload a disc image to this forum along with scans of the manuals, if you’re ok with that Phil?

GuitarPhil

Post by GuitarPhil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes that's not a problem. Please go ahead and maybe I can actually download it myself to run on my VirtualRPC!

I think I have the original manuals (done using Impression) on floppy but I've no way to upload them sadly :?

Phil.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks again Phil! =D>

So, attached below is a !Spark Archive file containing an image of the ALPS disc that I received from CJE. I've tested this disc image, and it works with ADFFS, so it should be possible to run on VirtualRPC, and other emulators!

Lastly, I note the file on the disc describing the ALPS Support Disc containing "utilities to enhance ALPS" - my package didn't contain this disc, alas, and it looks as though this disc was sold separately as an optional extra....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lurkio - Okay, where’s Zarniwoop? Get me Zarniwoop!

ALPS.zip
ALPS 5.12a 800k disc image in Spark archive
(305.95 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 am

GuitarPhil wrote:Yes that's not a problem. Please go ahead and maybe I can actually download it myself to run on my VirtualRPC!

I think I have the original manuals (done using Impression) on floppy but I've no way to upload them sadly :?

Phil.
Phil, just spotted this thread, could I ask you to possibly send me an eMail confirming you're happy for JASPP to distribute ALPS for free, along with PDF's manuals, box scans etc.

Could I also confirm if you're acting as the author, publisher, or if all rights have reverted to yourself.

Once I have all that, I just need to persuade someone to scan the manuals etc at 600 DPI, so I can produce PDF's and get it fully archived.

Oops, thought I did a PM...I'll PM you as well.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am

sirbod - I can scan the manuals for you, in due course, though it may take me a little while to get them done.

GuitarPhil

Post by GuitarPhil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 am

Hi folks,

@sirbod: I am both the author and publisher of ALPS for the Archimedes and I am happy for it and it's manuals to be distributed by JASPP.

I will have another hunt to see if the manuals are on floppies in my 'crypt' but they may have been lost on the old hardrive.

@lcww1: I've forgotten what the ALPS Support Disc contained! It was an optional extra purchase. Also thanks for the zip file. I am obviously getting too many senior moments, or maybe I'm just to busy doing other things and didn't get back to this forum often enough, but I fired up VirtualRPC and found I had already managed to get ALPS onto it and it was running ok. I can confirm that you have the latest version 5.12A but I'm sorry you had to wait until CJE Micros came across a copy :cry:

Phil.

GuitarPhil

Post by GuitarPhil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Guys, I've just found the ALPS manuals in pdf format. I can't remember how I got these but thanks to the person who did it I - even if it was myself LOL

Phil
Attachments
Reference Guide.pdf
(5.84 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Introductory Guide.pdf
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Phil -

Fantastic that you found your pdfs of the manuals, and thanks for sharing!

No worries at all re my purchase of ALPS, as I'm delighted to have an original boxed set from CJE!

as for the ALPS Support Disc, the file on my ALPS disc lists the support disc as including:
Compact - to compact 'Sprite' files used by ALPS games.
Compress - to compress ALPS text files.
Expand - to re-create a 'Sprite' file that has been compacted.
Convert - to convert 'Sprites' to different modes. (this latter app is listed as not being RiscPC compatible, and ChangeFSI is suggested as an alternative)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks, Phil and lcww1!

I've added your uploads to the ALPS megathread here:
:arrow:

Zarniwoop's on an intergalactic cruise -- in his office?!

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 am

GuitarPhil wrote:Guys, I've just found the ALPS manuals in pdf format. I can't remember how I got these but thanks to the person who did it
Turns out I sent them to you on 22-03-16, they're the manuals I produced many years ago. We had a discussion about JASPP releasing all the Alpine Software titles but it doesn't seem I received explicit permission, so I've resent the eMail to you for your consideration.

The ADF of ALPS is 5.12 and a newer version than the archive copy which is currently 5.11a, so I'll get that updated before release.

You also sent me an image of the ALPS support disc and Creator II guide Impression document, which I've yet to look at :oops:, but will as soon as there's permission to release.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm

sirbod wrote:You also sent me an image of the ALPS support disc and Creator II guide Impression document, which I've yet to look at :oops:, but will as soon as there's permission to release.
Hi, Jon. Phil gave you and JASPP permission to release ALPS and its docs above, when he said this:
GuitarPhil wrote:@sirbod: I am both the author and publisher of ALPS for the Archimedes and I am happy for it and it's manuals to be distributed by JASPP.
:idea:

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

lurkio wrote:Hi, Jon. Phil gave you and JASPP permission to release ALPS and its docs above, when he said...
For legal reasons, express permission must be granted via eMail or in writing, directly from the copyright holder.

I appreciate people are eager for JASPP to release titles, but there is a process I need to follow to cover the project from a legal standpoint.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

sirbod wrote:I appreciate people are eager for JASPP to release titles, but there is a process I need to follow to cover the project from a legal standpoint.
Okay. I just emailed Phil to let him know. Does he have your email address? If not, you can PM it to me and I'll pass it on to him if you think it'll help.

Btw, the link to the JASPP forum in your sig is broken.

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuitarPhil

Post by GuitarPhil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Jon's been in touch by email and I have replied with my permission to publish.

One point regarding Creator II is that the sound/music module was written by Peter Gillett. I have lost touch with him so haven't been able to confirm the position regarding his work being released.

Perhaps someone has his contact details?

Phil.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

lcww1 wrote:...I'm still on the lookout for Cyber Chess. The statistical likelihood is that a copy will arise on *bay. There will one day be Cyber Chess. ‘Till then, there will be a short delay.
I may have a copy of Cyber Chess for you. I sent you a PM.
Paul

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:I may have a copy of Cyber Chess for you. I sent you a PM.
Many thanks for this kind offer DutchAcorn! I’ve received your PM, but unfortunately I haven’t yet earned the right to PM you a reply (not enough posts, though I’m surely getting closer) - anyhow, I’ll be very happy to take you up on your offer (I’m keen to pit my wits against the genetic algorithm optimised chess engine - also, I just like the look of the screenshots!) - if you’re happy to PM me your email address then I could reply to you that way?

Thanks again - and thanks to everyone else on this thread - it’s turned out to be quite fruitful, and it’ll be fantastic to eventually have the AS catalogue added to JASPP.....

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 pm

lcww1 wrote:unfortunately I haven’t yet earned the right to PM you a reply (not enough posts, though I’m surely getting closer)
All sorted. Thank for sharing the ALPS goodies :)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 am

Many thanks for that Arcadian! :D

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

lcww1 wrote:it’ll be fantastic to eventually have the AS catalogue added to JASPP.....
I'll start a new thread detailing the assistance I require to get this done. I've already started on converting the Creator 2 manual from Publisher to PDF.

Whilst collating what I have, I noticed Kidnapping is part of The Adventure Collection, did this have a separate release?
GuitarPhil wrote:One point regarding Creator II is that the sound/music module was written by Peter Gillett
ADFFS comes bundled with an updated 26/32bit neutral version of the ExSound, so it shouldn't be an issue.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

lcww1 wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:I may have a copy of Cyber Chess for you. I sent you a PM.
Many thanks for this kind offer DutchAcorn! I’ve received your PM, but unfortunately I haven’t yet earned the right to PM you a reply (not enough posts, though I’m surely getting closer) - anyhow, I’ll be very happy to take you up on your offer (I’m keen to pit my wits against the genetic algorithm optimised chess engine - also, I just like the look of the screenshots!) - if you’re happy to PM me your email address then I could reply to you that way?
Did the copy of Cyber Chess change hands in the end? I only ask because I think I have a copy that I got as a subscription "gift" from Acorn User that I've never really used. I thought I had a copy in a fancy wallet but the last time I saw the disk it was loose, so perhaps they only supplied me with a loose floppy disk and a manual rather than a packaged copy.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm

davidb wrote: Did the copy of Cyber Chess change hands in the end?
Hi Davidb - Yes, DutchAcorn very kindly did send me his copy of CyberChess, which I’ve been thoroughly enjoying on my A5000, but many thanks for thinking of my request, and for your post - much appreciated! :D
BW
lcww1