Does anyone have a 6 slice backplane(s) for RISCPC?

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Paul

Does anyone have a 6 slice backplane(s) for RISCPC?

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm progressing my "Acorns in Broadcast Television" restoration project and are in need of one (or a couple if possible) of the 6 slice backplanes..

Could anyone help / sell?

Cheers,

Paul.

IanS

Re: Does anyone have a 6 slice backplane(s) for RISCPC?

Post by IanS » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:49 pm

I have an 8 slot you could cut down (yes, they did have a "cut here" printed on the board).

What setup needed 6 podules?

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 am

IanS wrote:I have an 8 slot you could cut down (yes, they did have a "cut here" printed on the board).
I've sent you over a PM - that would be amazingly helpful! Thank you.
IanS wrote:What setup needed 6 podules?
So, I'm in the process of conserving and rebuilding a RiscPC that was actually used to provide graphics for shows on the BBC. Sadly, many of the machines were affected by battery corrosion, including quite bad corrosion across the 6 slice backplane. Interestingly, I'd noticed the cut line on the backplane used by the BBC's computer! It would be interesting to try as it is first before cutting. I do know the 8 podules can fail in certain setups however, so a cut may be necessary.

So what were the 6 podules needed for? machines were used on multiple jobs (or TV programmes), and they required different cards, so some machines were 'reconfigured' with hardware, but one of the machines actually had all the cards installed for development of shows. I'm looking to build up the machines in this format so they can demonstrate all of the content created.

The podules used in the same machine were:

SLICE 1:
1/2. Millipede Alpha Lock Genlock card (this only uses one electrical connection, but two physical podule spaces)

SLICE 2:
1. Millipede Prisma 3 Podule
2. Dual Serial Podule

SLICE 3:
5. Acorn MIDI Podule
6. Millipede APEX Graphics Podule.

So, if I can get it working as an 8 Podule backplane reliably, I'd ideally add:

SLICE 4:
7: Simtec USB / IDE / Ethernet card.

Cheers,

Paul.

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Before I post the board to Paul, this is what the board looks like.
PICT4676.JPG
PICT4674.JPG

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Don't you need to move the terminating resistors, from the top pair to the next pair down, when you cut the backplane down for a 3 slice machine?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:Don't you need to move the terminating resistors, from the top pair to the next pair down, when you cut the backplane down for a 3 slice machine?
Probably, I'll leave that to Paul to do if he decides to cut it.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 pm

I'll try it as is first, (I try to avoid cutting!).

But if it doesn't work then I'll cut it when I'm sure I've got it all figured out!

Paul.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:29 pm

The problem with these huge backplanes could be not enough decoupling! It may be worth adding several low ESR Tantalums and some SM 100n ceramic caps - if you have any problems. With limited production, maybe they didn't debug it fully?

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com