"rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Post Reply
bleeper
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Contact:

"rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by bleeper » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:11 pm

I received a BBC which was packed terrible and the top case was smashed :(

I could replace it with a newer case but I specifically wanted one of the "rough" textured cases.

I don't need a bottom, just the top, if anyone has one for sale?

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5510
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:11 am

First port of call: Mark at Retroclinic :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

bleeper
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by bleeper » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Dave,

Alas, Mark has none spare at the moment :cry:

(as a side note it makes me flipping furious to receive a badly packed item... as if merely writing "FRAGILE" on a bit of tissue paper gives it an invisible coat of titanium :roll: !)

User avatar
leenew
Posts: 4092
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by leenew » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:36 pm

How good condition does it need to be bleeper?
I may have some but would need to check, which may be a day or 2.
Lee.

bleeper
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by bleeper » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:04 pm

hi Lee,

the condition doesn't really matter so much me, it's more the un-snappedness I am after :) .

(Weird I know, I'd rather a murky marked in tact on, than a clean & broken one!)

poink
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by poink » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 pm

bleeper wrote:(as a side note it makes me flipping furious to receive a badly packed item... as if merely writing "FRAGILE" on a bit of tissue paper gives it an invisible coat of titanium :roll: !)
I know the feeling; someone recently sent me a laserdisc protected by nothing more than a Tesco bag for life (after describing it as a 'collector's item', naturally).

Now, I'm impressed with Royal Mail for how little damage occurred (it only got a bend to one corner of the sleeve, and a couple of stress marks), but that still rather ruins it for display purposes. Literally any form of actual protection - like a couple of bits of corrugated card - and it would have survived. ](*,) :evil:

User avatar
leenew
Posts: 4092
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by leenew » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 pm

I have had a root through the beeb room, and disappointingly, most of the lids I have are the "smooth" type.
I *do* have one rough one, which is completely un-snapped....
but...
The black keyboard surround has been removed!
It *is* possible to transfer them from one keyboard to another but it is tricky.
You need a gentle amount of heat from a hairdryer, and gently peel from the donor lid, and it should stick straight to the new lid.
p.s. I have succeeded at this once, and failed once. (sometimes the plastic just seems to have gone too brittle to handle).
20160906_201915.jpg

What do you think?

Lee.

User avatar
topcat96
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Somewhere wonderful!
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by topcat96 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:32 am

I have a complete spare 'smooth' BBC B case here doing nothing if you've not found anything yet.

No school marks or branding and the ashtray is intact. The only damage to it is a 6mm hole drilled out for an audio mod on the rear next to the econet hole.

F-key strip is present, not too marked, will probably polish up nicely.

It could do with a little cleaning or even a quick retr0brighting to bring it back to a decent condition.

Yours for the cost of posting within the UK

PM me to discuss :)

Also have a spare BBC B keyboard here, fully working and in great condition if anyone needs one. Again, PM me to discuss.
Image

bleeper
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by bleeper » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:17 pm

leenew wrote:I have had a root through the beeb room, and disappointingly, most of the lids I have are the "smooth" type.
I *do* have one rough one, which is completely un-snapped....
but...
The black keyboard surround has been removed!
It *is* possible to transfer them from one keyboard to another but it is tricky.
You need a gentle amount of heat from a hairdryer, and gently peel from the donor lid, and it should stick straight to the new lid.
p.s. I have succeeded at this once, and failed once. (sometimes the plastic just seems to have gone too brittle to handle).
What do you think?

Lee.
Hi Lee,

I'd be prepared to risk it and the case looks perfectly agreeable to me, how much did you want for it ? 8)

Just a thought, have you ever tried dental floss to remove this type of thing? I've used it successfully for car badges etc in the past :D
Last edited by bleeper on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleeper
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by bleeper » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:19 pm

topcat96 wrote:I have a complete spare 'smooth' BBC B case here doing nothing if you've not found anything yet.

No school marks or branding and the ashtray is intact. The only damage to it is a 6mm hole drilled out for an audio mod on the rear next to the econet hole.

F-key strip is present, not too marked, will probably polish up nicely.

It could do with a little cleaning or even a quick retr0brighting to bring it back to a decent condition.

Yours for the cost of posting within the UK

PM me to discuss :)

Also have a spare BBC B keyboard here, fully working and in great condition if anyone needs one. Again, PM me to discuss.
Hi Top Cat,

That is an incredibly generous offer thank you, I am almost tempted but I would prefer my top case to be the rough type purely because it goes with the base and I have another "smooth" beeb :D

The keyboard however if still available would be great as I have realised I do have some icky keys :cry:

User avatar
leenew
Posts: 4092
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by leenew » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:58 pm

bleeper wrote:
leenew wrote:I have had a root through the beeb room, and disappointingly, most of the lids I have are the "smooth" type.
I *do* have one rough one, which is completely un-snapped....
but...
The black keyboard surround has been removed!
It *is* possible to transfer them from one keyboard to another but it is tricky.
You need a gentle amount of heat from a hairdryer, and gently peel from the donor lid, and it should stick straight to the new lid.
p.s. I have succeeded at this once, and failed once. (sometimes the plastic just seems to have gone too brittle to handle).
What do you think?

Lee.
Hi Lee,

I'd be prepared to risk it and the case looks perfectly agreeable to me, how much did you want for it ? 8)

Just a thought, have you ever tried dental floss to remove this type of thing? I've used it successfully for car badges etc in the past :D
Dental floss!! never thought of that, and can't quite see how I would do it!

You can have the case for the price of postage, although I am not sure how much that would be?
I will get it boxed and get a quote.
I think the problem is, I am going to have to wrap it carefully, and put it in a thick cardboard box so it doesn't get damaged, but this will make the postage higher.
I don't think I will be able to send it for much less than £7 - but I will check when it is boxed.
Also, are you in a rush?, as I am away for a week from Monday and I am not sure if I will have time to do this before I go as I am working today, tomorrow and Sunday... :cry:

Lee.

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5510
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:09 pm

bleeper wrote:The keyboard however if still available would be great as I have realised I do have some icky keys :cry:
icky key are repairable . . . There's been several threads on this subject . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

User avatar
topcat96
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Somewhere wonderful!
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by topcat96 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 am

bleeper wrote: Hi Top Cat,

The keyboard however if still available would be great as I have realised I do have some icky keys :cry:
Have sent you a PM
Image

User avatar
leenew
Posts: 4092
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by leenew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Bleeper, pm me your address details and I will do my best to post it tonight before I go away in the morning.
Lee.

User avatar
topcat96
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Somewhere wonderful!
Contact:

Re: "rough texture" (issue 4 and earlier(?)) BBC case top wanted

Post by topcat96 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 am

Sent a PM to Bleeper 09/09/2016 but no reply so I guess the spare BBC B keyboard will go back into storage
Image

Post Reply

Return to “wanted”