AlSystems (Power-Tec) apps and formatter (IDE)

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
Zarchos

AlSystems (Power-Tec) apps and formatter (IDE)

Post by Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I've got an IDE minipodule which says it is by AlSystems (1995) when I ask for *HELP on its IDEFS module
*PODULES say it is a Power-tec IDE & UserPort podule

I don't have any apps or formatter for this expansion board (and neither Chris on his Acorn pages).

Could sbdy help and either send a link to the software, or post them here if he's got them ?

Thanks in advance.

I'd like also to know if sbdy from here is in contact with the maintainer of the Chris's Acorns pages web site, and if this person would be ok to add some infos to this great site.
I've noticed not only I own some expansion boards not listed on the site (and rare, like some expansion boards by Millipede), but some other *. members too own some rarities, and it would be a nice community project to keep on filling Chris's database, wouldn't it ?

Xavier.

RobC

Re: AlSystems (Power-Tec) apps and formatter (IDE)

Post by RobC » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:51 pm

This may very well still be supported by Gary Partis: http://www.partis.org/home/main.php

Gary has also signed up on here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11224

Definitely worth dropping him a line.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 pm

RobC wrote:This may very well still be supported by Gary Partis: http://www.partis.org/home/main.php

Gary has also signed up on here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11224

Definitely worth dropping him a line.
Thanks.
Pm sent.

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Zarchos wrote:Pm sent.
He hasn't posted much, so probably can't reply to you (unless you included an email address)

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm

IanS wrote:
He hasn't posted much, so probably can't reply to you (unless you included an email address)
In fact I've just found a Power tec SCSI diskette.
Although it is faulty, Power Manager is ok and the doc says it works for IDE podules, so I'm going to give it a try.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:03 pm

IanS wrote:
Have just enabled PMs for Gary :D
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Arcadian wrote:
IanS wrote:
Have just enabled PMs for Gary :D
Thanks because the app doesn't seem to work with this IDE minipodule (all choices greyed out).

partis

Post by partis » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 am

Hi

Did you ever get this sorted? Drop me a line at gary@partis.co.uk

Cheers

Gary
Gary Partis

Sniffer

Post by Sniffer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:10 am

Did you ever get this sorted? Drop me a line at ....
Not wishing to hijack a thread, but could you give us a brief idea of what is still supported scsi-wise? I did ask a question on the 'Contact' page of http://www.partis.co.uk a couple of years ago but didn't get a response.

I have a number of old SCSI cards and at the time was looking to 'update' their ROMS but didn't want to do a PayPal if the site was defunct :)

Cheers,
Mike.

philpem

Post by philpem » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 am

Sniffer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:10 am
Did you ever get this sorted? Drop me a line at ....
Not wishing to hijack a thread, but could you give us a brief idea of what is still supported scsi-wise? I did ask a question on the 'Contact' page of http://www.partis.co.uk a couple of years ago but didn't get a response.

I have a number of old SCSI cards and at the time was looking to 'update' their ROMS but didn't want to do a PayPal if the site was defunct :)

Cheers,
Mike.
I'm not Gary but I can give you an idea what my card can do...

I'm running a Morley 16bit SCSI interface with a FAS216 chip and the Partis PowerROM. In terms of device support, it'll talk to hard drives, Zip drives and CD-ROM drives for certain. The stock Morley ROM works okay-ish with MagOpt to talk to a Zip drive, but has issues with large disks. The PowerROM is much better behaved!

Beyond that I assume it supports the Acorn SCSIDM interface for sending raw SCSI packets, but I can't say I've tried it. I keep meaning to port the Polaroid Digital Palette film recorder driver across at some point, but making it work would necessitate learning how to do get/put pixel operations on sprites...

Cheers
Phil.

Sniffer

Post by Sniffer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 am

I'm not Gary but I can give you an idea what my card can do...
Thanks Phil.

I have a couple of PowerRom enabled Alsystem cards. I was more thinking along the lines of does Gary still sell/support the roms for the different cards. I know the site 'appears' active but nothing seems to have changed on it for years.

Slightly off topic, I did buy the RISC OS Open 32bit rom for the Acorn card but it would not work in either of the Acorn cards I have.

Cheers,
Mike.

Return to “wanted”