Original speech upgrade for beeb

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
GeoffS

Original speech upgrade for beeb

Post by GeoffS »

Reaching out to anybody that may have an original speech upgrade that they are willing to sell or swap. Aware of the current ,and no doubt good, speech upgrade but trying to put together a stock genuine Beeb from my collection.

Thanks

Geoff
cmorley

Re: Original speech upgrade for beeb

Post by cmorley »

You probably need to watch eBay & set up a email alert. They do come up every 6 months or so.

You can also look at every B which goes on eBay & see if you can buy one with it in already. View the photos in case it is fitted and the seller doesn't know/hasn't listed it. I got several Bs with speech this way a few years ago however this might not be as easy now eBay has gone full lolprice.

Mark Hayesman (Retroclinic) often has the speech chips for sale but AFIK he ran out of the phrase ROMs years ago - he was selling replicas (Simon Inns one maybe).
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah got a good few beebs but never one with speech and it’s bugging me not having at least on upgraded. Trying to keep away from eBay as I find the experience not great at the minute but still have alerts in case the bargain of the century comes up ( not holding my breath at this moment though)
danielj

Post by danielj »

CJE sell the entire kit, "New" (old stock) for £90, or second hand for £75. It does depend a bit on whether you want the keyboard slot (which was never actually used for anything) - if you're not too fussed about that they're doing kits for less.
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

Hi Daniel

Just had a look and you a right , cheers for the heads up.

Geoff
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

this guy might still be offering kits at a very good price, worth getting in contact to find out
http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/speechupgrade.htm
Image Image Image
RobC

Post by RobC »

Years ago I bought a TMS6100 PHROM chip from Unicorn Electronics while buying some other bits from them. I expected it to be one of the American variants but, when it turned up, I discovered that it was the Kenneth Kendall version!

Might be worth seeing if they have any more left. I think the 5220 is fairly easy to get hold of.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Similarly I bought 3 Phrase ROM chips from a supplier, expecting them to be blank, and when I tested one years later it was the Kenneth Kendall one.
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

lovebug wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:48 am
this guy might still be offering kits at a very good price, worth getting in contact to find out
http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/speechupgrade.htm
Thanks for the info 👍🏻
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

RobC wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:45 pm
Years ago I bought a TMS6100 PHROM chip from Unicorn Electronics while buying some other bits from them. I expected it to be one of the American variants but, when it turned up, I discovered that it was the Kenneth Kendall version!

Might be worth seeing if they have any more left. I think the 5220 is fairly easy to get hold of.
Great info thanks. They still appear to have them but expensive to get the shipped over unless I upgrade 4 of my beebs with speech 🤔
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

GeoffS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:42 am
RobC wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Great info thanks. They still appear to have them but expensive to get the shipped over unless I upgrade 4 of my beebs with speech 🤔
I have no musical talent or knowledge, so I have no idea what four Beebs all speaking at the same time would be called… :lol:

Mark
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

1024MAK wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am
I have no musical talent or knowledge, so I have no idea what four Beebs all speaking at the same time would be called… :lol:
A Beebershop Quartet?
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

baz4096 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:16 am
1024MAK wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am
A Beebershop Quartet?
=D>
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:36 pm
This on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-BBC-B- ... 635-2958-0
Do I want another beeb, of course I do . Can I justify buying a whole beeb for the speech chips .....give me time and I'm sure i can convince myself I NEED THAT PERTICULAR BEEB BECAUSE ITS SPECIAL :D
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Yes, it's very easy. The best way to upgrade a machine to an add-on you want is to buy another machine that already has the upgrade. That way there's no risk of damaging the original machine, and you then have before-and-after machines to do a full scientific comparison of the two.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

BeebMaster wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 pm
you then have before-and-after machines to do a full scientific comparison of the two.
But when differences are noted, a sample of two is insufficient to determine which is correct - at least one more allows an averaging. :-
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

BeebMaster wrote:
Yes, it's very easy. The best way to upgrade a machine to an add-on you want is to buy another machine that already has the upgrade. That way there's no risk of damaging the original machine, and you then have before-and-after machines to do a full scientific comparison of the two.
Oh no you don’t …I see what you are doing and I’m not falling for I……..😵💫
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

IanJeffray wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 am
BeebMaster wrote:
you then have before-and-after machines to do a full scientific comparison of the two.
But when differences are noted, a sample of two is insufficient to determine which is correct - at least one more allows an averaging. :-
Must not listen to them …..😵💫…..must not go on eBay………😵💫……..resist the urge to buy it now 😵💫
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

GeoffS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote:
This on ebay:

Do I want another beeb, of course I do . Can I justify buying a whole beeb for the speech chips .....give me time and I'm sure i can convince myself I NEED THAT PERTICULAR BEEB BECAUSE ITS SPECIAL :D
All Beebs are special. They need saving from the collectors where only a silly high price is meaningful to them. They need to be rehomed where they will be loved and used. Not ignored and just stored.

Or worse, they find their way into the recycling system or into the rubbish as scrap :shock: :(

Have you not heard of the RSPCA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Acorns.

Plus, you will need a back-up machine. Your existing machine may become unwell. You will then suffer serious withdrawal symptoms. How will you be able to repair and restore your BBC Micro if you are depressed due to the withdrawal symptoms?

And of course, like any responsible owner, you should try and have a variety of different examples. With back-ups of each different model, each board revision, and each level of internal expansion…

Mark
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

1024MAK wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:18 am
GeoffS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote:
This on ebay:

All Beebs are special. They need saving from the collectors where only a silly high price is meaningful to them. They need to be rehomed where they will be loved and used. Not ignored and just stored.

Or worse, they find their way into the recycling system or into the rubbish as scrap :shock: :(

Have you not heard of the RSPCA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Acorns.

Plus, you will need a back-up machine. Your existing machine may become unwell. You will then suffer serious withdrawal symptoms. How will you be able to repair and restore your BBC Micro if you are depressed due to the withdrawal symptoms?

And of course, like any responsible owner, you should try and have a variety of different examples. With back-us of each different model, each board revision, and each level of internal expansion…

Mark
I now need to pray to the gods of income for more help in following my dream based on that utterly convincing logic [-o< :D
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

IanJeffray wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:04 am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AcornAn ... 750036456/

Not good enough?
Sorry Ian I’m that one person that is not on Facebook so miss out on quit a bit :(
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

GeoffS wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm
IanJeffray wrote:

Not good enough?
Sorry Ian I’m that one person that is not on Facebook so miss out on quit a bit :(
Ah, I forgot that's a closed group (otherwise you'd be able to see it, without being "on" Facebook).
It's just someone selling a Speech Emulator. I know you were looking for original though.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

GeoffS wrote:
IanJeffray wrote:

Not good enough?
That makes two of us then!
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
GeoffS

Post by GeoffS »

IanJeffray wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:08 pm
GeoffS wrote:
IanJeffray wrote:

Not good enough?
Ah, I forgot that's a closed group (otherwise you'd be able to see it, without being "on" Facebook).
It's just someone selling a Speech Emulator. I know you were looking for original though.
No problem and thanks for the info. :D
shifters74

Post by shifters74 »

BeebMaster wrote:
Sounds quite a reasonable approach to me !! :lol:

Return to “wanted”