Trade / Swap -- Looking for VIC-20

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
MrGpG
Location: Wet Wales - East Cardiff as we say in the 'Port. Tidy

Trade / Swap -- Looking for VIC-20

Post by MrGpG »

Hi all

I am looking for a VIC-20 (ideally) (or a C64 breadbin) so that I can use them for analogue / digital IO --- in a similar manner that I am using my Elks.

I am in the fortunate position of having x6 Elks (I know you can never have too many..... :D :D ).

Any one up for a direct trade:

Elk (will include a selection of games I seem to have acquired) + Power Supply for Vic-20 + Power Supply?

I know this is close to heresy, but thought I'd chance my luck :lol:

Cheers
Glen
davidb

Re: Trade / Swap -- Looking for VIC-20

Post by davidb »

I can't help you with a trade, unfortunately. :(

Since you are looking to do I/O projects, have you seen The Robot Book which, being from the 80s, uses Lego and Fischertechnik as well as a Vic-20 and a Spectrum? The interfacing action starts in Part 4 of the book on page 102. Unfortunately, the scan is incomplete.

I have a scan of Robot Projects by the same author if that would be interesting for you. It contains a subset of these projects.
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

I have a rough vic 20, not sure if its got the psu etc though?
MrGpG

Post by MrGpG »

vanpeebles wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:52 pm
Sorry for the delay - real world got in the way.

Amazing how many retro computers get separated from the PSUs -- as I keep telling my wife, that crate (yes crate) of old chargers, cables and nebulous leads will be useful one day.

Early Vic-20 use a different PSU than the later ones (later ones use the C64 PSU) - so if no PSU, its would be helpful to know the model of Vic-20.

Basically If you can rustle up the PSU for Vic - then I have a cleaned Elk and PSU waiting ;-)

Happy for a "rough" one -- don't mind the clean / recap etc (not a fan of diagnosing / removing ICs though).

Finally, if I can't realise a Vic-20 I suppose I'll bite the bullet and go C64, but as a child of the Elk I have seem to have a pathological dislike of the C64 (irrational I know).

Cheers
Glen
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

MrGpG wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 am
vanpeebles wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:52 pm
Sorry for the delay - real world got in the way.

Amazing how many retro computers get separated from the PSUs -- as I keep telling my wife, that crate (yes crate) of old chargers, cables and nebulous leads will be useful one day.

Early Vic-20 use a different PSU than the later ones (later ones use the C64 PSU) - so if no PSU, its would be helpful to know the model of Vic-20.

Basically If you can rustle up the PSU for Vic - then I have a cleaned Elk and PSU waiting ;-)

Happy for a "rough" one -- don't mind the clean / recap etc (not a fan of diagnosing / removing ICs though).

Finally, if I can't realise a Vic-20 I suppose I'll bite the bullet and go C64, but as a child of the Elk I have seem to have a pathological dislike of the C64 (irrational I know).

Cheers
Glen
I'm away this weekend, but I'll have a look next week for a PSU. No idea if the machine is working or not sadly. I can tell you the model later :)
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Later VIC20s (so called 'CR' cost-reduced models) can use the C64 PSU. However be warned, do not run a C64 from the CR-VIC20 PSU because it can't handle the extra current. The original (so called 'two prong') VIC20 uses a simple transformer and most of the PSU is in the keyboard console.
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

Not found a PSU yet, but it’s the earlier two pin PSU type.
MrGpG

Post by MrGpG »

vanpeebles wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm
Perfect - they are "easier" to work with -- just 9/10VAC - the regulation is inside the case.

Want to swap for an Elk? If that works, PM me and we can sort this out..

Cheers
Glen
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

MrGpG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 am
vanpeebles wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm
Perfect - they are "easier" to work with -- just 9/10VAC - the regulation is inside the case.

Want to swap for an Elk? If that works, PM me and we can sort this out..

Cheers
Glen
Still need to find PSU, I'll keep looking!
MrGpG

Post by MrGpG »

Hi

That's not needed - for the two pin versions, it's just a cable (and 9V transformer) (granted it has odd connections -- but that is easy to modify / work around) to make it use a new 9V transformer.

G
MrGpG

Post by MrGpG »

-- All sorted now ;-)

Cheers
Glen

Return to “wanted”