Master Space Bar Lugs

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
BeebMaster

Master Space Bar Lugs

Post by BeebMaster »

Finally got round to asking...my thumb is now nearly destroyed from trying to make the space bar register without the two little lugs either side holding it up. Anybody got a couple of these for a Master 128?

I've got broken Masters, but not broken keyboards, so I didn't want to cannibalise anything or swap the whole keyboard just for want of the lugs.
Stwert

Re: Master Space Bar Lugs

Post by Stwert »

These are the sort of things it would be handy to get dimensions of, obviously for yourself, but also for any forum members in the future who might need them. I could easily rattle a design up and 3D print them - at no cost of course, ridiculously small amount of material to make, whether that’s FDM, or SLA.

Though I don’t doubt there’s going to be many a knackered keyboard knocking around someone will be able to help you with.
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Getting replacements 3D printed would be a good idea. I just decided to have a fiddle, and in fact the right-hand lug is still on the space bar, it just wasn't connected to the wire rod. I tried to make a replacement for the left-hand one with a bit of cardboard, but it ended up going inside the keyboard so I've lost it now. Possibly the missing lug is in there somewhere as well, but it doesn't rattle like it might be. It's a lot better with just one lug connected properly. I think it would be just as easy to fit a keyswitch in place of the lugs, it doesn't need to be a working one, just something to hold up the space bar.
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

I cut mine out of thick plant pot bottoms :lol: nice and pliable...

Actually.. i think the last one was an old polyfilla tub
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

To be honest, I think that even if I had the original part, I wouldn't have the skill to fit both at the same time and then persuade each one onto the wire bar, and then lift the space bar over the keyswitch to fit onto it. I suspect that's probably why it's got one missing in the first place, probably lost or broke it after taking the space bar off to wash it and couldn't reassemble it.

It looks like it was intended to have 3 keyswitches, so I think I'll find an electrically dead but mechanically functional old switch and use that.
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

BeebMaster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:05 pm
To be honest, I think that even if I had the original part, I wouldn't have the skill to fit both at the same time and then persuade each one onto the wire bar, and then lift the space bar over the keyswitch to fit onto it. I suspect that's probably why it's got one missing in the first place, probably lost or broke it after taking the space bar off to wash it and couldn't reassemble it.

It looks like it was intended to have 3 keyswitches, so I think I'll find an electrically dead but mechanically functional old switch and use that.

Ach, I bet you’re underestimating your ability. I’m sure with some patience, a bit of time and a bucketful of swearing, you’d get it no bother :lol:
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:
WrightStuff

Post by WrightStuff »

Anybody got a spare lug they can send me please ? #-o

Whilst fixing a dud key I took the opportunity to remove all the keycaps and give the keyboard a good clean. Bad idea.
In doing this one of the space bar support lugs has pinged off somewhere. It may actually be trapped inside the keyboard cavity itself, with no way to recover it.
To be clear its one of these I'm after, ta,
20210222_162221.jpg

Return to “wanted”