WTD - Acorn A4 Econet card (ALA66)

wanted ads for physical hardware, software + literature
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
philpem

WTD - Acorn A4 Econet card (ALA66)

Post by philpem » Thu May 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Is anyone looking to part with an ALA66 Econet interface card (and ideally the special Econet cable too)?

I'm setting up an Econet and it'd be nice to have the A4 on there too!

Cheers,
Phil

Sniffer

Re: WTD - Acorn A4 Econet card (ALA66)

Post by Sniffer » Thu May 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Can't help I'm afraid but I was looking for one of the (internal) cables years back and never did get one. I meant to build one but never did get round to sorting it. I seem to remember stuggling sourcing the cable ends. I must revisit that.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am

I think CJE sometimes have them, although I can't see one listed just now.

I wonder if an adapter could be made to take a standard Econet module, I haven't looked into it but presumably it's the same or very similar signals on the 17 pins of the normal module which would go to the A4 internal connector, and the 5 pins just go straight to the Econet lead.

philpem

Post by philpem » Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am

BeebMaster wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am
I think CJE sometimes have them, although I can't see one listed just now.

I wonder if an adapter could be made to take a standard Econet module, I haven't looked into it but presumably it's the same or very similar signals on the 17 pins of the normal module which would go to the A4 internal connector, and the 5 pins just go straight to the Econet lead.
The difficulties are the limited space available in the upgrade bay, making up the mounting bracket, and getting hold of a 2mm I/O connector (which I'm not certain has ever been identified...)

Of course there's nothing stopping you cloning the PCB and doing it with surface-mount parts. Just that if I was going to that much trouble, I'd probably make an Ethernet card instead.

Putting the A4 on the Econet is a bit of a 'wouldn't it be great if' project for me, now I've had the Master and A3000 talking to each other.

philpem

Post by philpem » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Just heard back from CJE. They sold out of them "many years ago" :(

Back on the hunt!

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:07 pm

They're hen's teeth mixed with unicorn poo. I've pondered that the best option is some sort of extension lead that brings the header pins out of the A4 case to a standard Econet card.

I loved my A4 when I was in Hong Kong. Could program away on it over the weekend, then back at work, plug into network, copy everything into URD on the server.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

Return to “wanted”