Wanted - datacentre

wanted ads for hardware, software + literature (NOT for tape/disc image requests)
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of.
mr-macrisc

Wanted - datacentre

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 pm

If anyone has a spare or one they are no longer gonna use....

Gis a shout with what you want

flaxcottage

Re: Wanted - datacentre

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Contact Mark at Retroclinic - he's the man. :D
- John

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm

flaxcottage wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact Mark at Retroclinic - he's the man. :D
Mark posted this on Facebook earlier:
** ANNOUNCEMENT **

ALL NOW SOLD!

It is with regret that I have to announce that the BBC Micro DataCentre kit will be discontinued, once this last run of kits have been sold. It's had a good long run of 10 years since it's inception, but due to the increasing difficulty in getting one of the ICs for the board, along with other factors, I've decided not to make any more boards up.

I've kept back a dozen or so boards to fit into upgraded machines over the next few months, but once they're gone, then they're gone.

Once all sold out, I will make the DataCentre system open source, and upload all the design files to GitHub (If I can work out the right way to do it!), so if someone else want's to make some, or redesign it, they will be free to do so.

The last kits will be available only through my eBay store, so if you've been thinking about getting one, now is the time!

Thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254142257118

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Yep and even emailed at start of week and asked about multios and he said would be in stock in a few weeks and had said I'd order datacentre, pi hat and multi os together.... Never mentioned he was stopping them and only had a few left as could got one :lol
Last edited by mr-macrisc on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am

That is very bad news. :(

The Datacentre has become retro.

Perhaps there may be someone out there with the skills to make a Pi-zero Datacentre equivalent. How hard can it be? He asks having no real idea. :lol:
- John

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 am

Argh!
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

Think he has open sourced the software, maybe hardware too so I guess it's not beyond realms that someone could tweak to replace the IC he's finding increasingly possible to get hold of.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 am

Alternatively, as you have a master that has a disc interface built in, for less than the cost of a DC you could get a double gotek situation set up? Gotek = £11ish, rotary encoder=50p, OLED display = £3. Bits of wire=£2. AUX power connector for beeb = £4ish I think...

d.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 am

Was going for external gotek so can go between elk and master. However planned on pi 2nd processor and think need the Winchester part for some of the 2nd processor stuff.

However may have found a beeb scsi for that fingers crossed which should hopefully serve same purpose.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am

Personally I've not bothered fitting goteks internally, they just sit external as any floppy drive would.

I'd use a beebscsi for that assuming you can get one, or you could look to find one of the simple beeb->ide converters? Depends what you're intending to do with the 2nd processor - it certainly makes Panos/dosplus more useable.

d.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am

This is encouraging:
Once all sold out, I will make the DataCentre system open source, and upload all the design files to GitHub (If I can work out the right way to do it!), so if someone else want's to make some, or redesign it, they will be free to do so.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am

BigEd wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am
This is encouraging:
Absaloutely, may be possible to tweak to remove hard to get IC or never know maybe someone has a source for the ic's

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm

If you just want the IDE interface, not the USB and RAM disk, there's the original IDE Interface the DataCentre's IDE interface was spun off from. You can make them yourself, or I have a couple of dozen bare PCBs somewhere. (I'm not at home atm so can't check.)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:10 pm

One thing I'd also note, if you're going to be using an IDE HDD with dosplus and the 80186, is that it does appear to not get on completely well - certainly I've managed to trash partitions using pkunzip. I've not had these issues with the unpatched ADFS. I'm not sure what it's doing at a low level that screws things up.

d.

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm

I have plans to do a cost reduced BeebSCSI with an ARM microcontroller from ST Micro. Not as fully featured as Simon's original but small and cost effective - my aim is for it to fit under a Master. This might help fill the gap... it is months off yet though.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm

I have not used one but there is also this from rwap software:-

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... -kit-21842
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm
I have not used one but there is also this from rwap software:-

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... -kit-21842
Ah, that's made by our very own TheCorfiot :) - it, combined with the goteks would give you pretty much what you'd get with a datacentre (with better floppy compatibility).

d.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Think may have sourced an internal BeebSCSI.

Which I think would cover bases and like I say will be getting gotek too external so can go between master and elk as I require.

Still no sure what + and - is for all different options and which would suit best

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 pm

A beebscsi mounted internally from the 1MHz bus is fine, but mounted from the internal header with the VFS board won't do what you want it to. If you want modern hardware that mimics the original hardware, appears to software as the original hardware, and hence is properly compatible, the gotek/beebscsi combo will do that. Nothing needs patching, you can use all the original filesystems. If you're going to be using beebscsi, make sure you request that your multios has the unpatched ADFS on it, not the one with the IDE patch.

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Got a beebscsi so all good for moment