AtomMMC 2.0

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
sirmorris

AtomMMC 2.0

Post by sirmorris » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 pm

AtoMMC waiting list, updated 1st Sept. 2016

Status: Awaiting shipping boxes, should be ready to ship 5th Sept.

Currently in line:

1024MAK
bagpuss22
M Sadler
thecellartroll
Luc
Elk Towers

While you wait, why not read the manual? http://tinyurl.com/atommc-manual
Last edited by sirmorris on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MartinB

Re: AtomMMC 2.0

Post by MartinB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Lookin' good Charlie =D>

(Do they come with a free Atom?)

Martin

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 am

Adds another one to the 'you know there's no Atoms out there to fit this into, don't you' pile..! :lol:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:02 am

nice work Charlie =D>

'Flux Capacitor' does it go back to the future? =P~ lol
ImageImageImage

regregex

Post by regregex » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 pm

WHIZ FOR ATOMMSC!

You made it to accept SD cards too, very wise. :)

--Greg

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 pm

sirmorris wrote:Price TBA. Pre-orders being taken now.
Put me down for a couple, assuming the price isn't excessive.

Ian.

MurrayCakaMuzer

Post by MurrayCakaMuzer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:30 pm

If I had an Atom I'd get one ;)

IanS

Post by IanS » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:26 pm

How many layers is that board? There doesn't appear to be anything connected to the gnd pin of PL8, or a connection to the GND pin of the 74LS139 or 7475.

Have I missed something obvious in the pic?

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Charlie's just nipped to China - he says he'll get back to you Ian :wink:

Martin

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd be interested in one of these, especially if, as promised, I'm going to be able to connect it to an Atom without the Expansion Bus or requiring first aid.

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Hello agane!

China was very nice this time of year! The internet was a bit sh*t tho.

It's a 2 layer board but I deliberately left the ground planes out of the image above for aesthetic reasons so all the GND lines appear missing. Good spot though, sir!

I'm trying to keep the prices as low as possible. I opted to take an up-front hit to get more boards than I think there may be Atoms so the unit price on the PCB is at break-point.

I'll be happy to sell boards and kits with adjusted prices as I see fair.

BRB - hungry again.

C

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Oh - THEY'RE HERE!
DSCF3624.JPG
MMM!
DSCF3624.JPG (175.58 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
I'd better get finishing up the firmware ;)

Price TBA but expected to be ~35.

Bare boards will be available but be prepared for some basic surface mount soldering - don't be put off - if I can do it anyone can. The parts are at the large end of the surface mount spectrum.

I'll try and get one made up tonight and see what they look like :)

-Charlie

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Is it sad to say "nice looking board", should I get out more ? Probably ! But anyway... "Nice looking board"

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks!

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Sorry, but I'm really excited!

... and human :)
Attachments
DSCF3650.JPG
greenwire
DSCF3650.JPG (158.87 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
DSCF3648.JPG
S/N 00001
DSCF3648.JPG (240.2 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
DSCF3633.JPG
here we go
DSCF3633.JPG (204.29 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 am

C wrote:greenwire
Does that mean you've discovered a minor implementation deviation from the intended electrical design interconnection protocol ? Just curious coz on BeebSID I used a resistor to patch my f**k up.

Looking very smart =D> (Free Atoms...?)

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:54 am

That's what I've been missing on my assembly bench.....a bottle of Old Crafty Hen!

Nice looking boards - what CAD software are you using? I use Eagle, but I can't for the life of me get it to do the ground plane flood!

Suggestion on the "hicup", cut pin 5 of the IC off, and angle pin 6 across to pin 5, will save the wiring ammendment.

Makes me want to dig the atom I have somewhere out and get it working!

=D>

Mark.

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Get yer Atoms out for the lads!

I've nearly finished the firmware(s). It would have been done a little while ago if I hadn't decided to rewrite the Atom side of things.

The new firmware is more compact and future proof as it offloads FAT filesystem duty to the PIC. I also took a leaf from the Econet ROM and used an interrupt on break to initialise the system.

I've hauled out the 'WAD' stuff as it was pretty much only there to alleviate the need for a full FAT implementation. There's no crufty 'MOUNT' commands now.

All I need to do now is implement SAVE and I think we'll be done. There seemed to be a swell of enthusiasm for the the SAVE feature. Personally I'd have left it but if a job's worth doing..

Despite my best efforts to scupper my own project I think the end of March is looking realistic. I'll post some pictures and maybe video later.

C

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm

retroclinic wrote:Nice looking boards - what CAD software are you using? I use Eagle, but I can't for the life of me get it to do the ground plane flood!

Suggestion on the "hicup", cut pin 5 of the IC off, and angle pin 6 across to pin 5, will save the wiring ammendment.
Yep, Eagle. The floods are easy enough, though I am only doing beginner boards ;)

As for the unintended - I'll be following that suggestion - thanks!

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Looking good, I'm getting excited about actually being able to run some software on my Atoms apart from type-ins from Atomic Theory!

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:37 pm

In order to get maximum compatibility with cards I am using a FAT filesystem library. This gives seamless access to 12 16 and 32 flavours and also mmc, SD and SDHC.

The library has some restrictions when it comes to writing files. Basically it can only allow writes into pre-existing files. This was the same as my original AtoMMC1.0 firmware and didn't really cause me any problems as the files can be accessed freely by PCs...

Do people imagine this to be a stopper? I'll be looking into what it will take to create files but I don't want this to hold up release. As it is I think I can have the firmwares finished by the middle of next week. Adding arbitrary file writing will delay that by some weeks.

Thoughts?

C

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

sirmorris wrote:Do people imagine this to be a stopper?
No, writing to existing files is probably ok.

I recall you saying the firmware could be updated from the SD card, so could the functionality be added later, or would it also require changes to the Atom Rom code?

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 am

Version 1.0 is ready!

Price is £35 + shipping.

You will get a 2532 EPROM containing the Atom firmware, the interface, its dongle and 2 interconnecting cables. I'll present some options for mounting and produce cables accordingly. I haven't yet sorted out a fixative for the board. One suggestion is 'servo tape' - a very sticky double-sided foam tape used for mounting servos in radio-controlled models. All suggestions welcomed :)

The interface accepts MMC/SD/SDHC formatted as FAT12/16 or 32. No special file systems are required. Copy the files and go.

PL8 must be fitted to the keyboard side of the Atom main board. LK2 immediately to its right needs to be made/closed in order to allow the interface to interrupt the processor. No other modifications are needed. I will happily help with fitting out Atoms if required. I won't charge for this, but the shipping will need to be taken care of.

The 1.0 Atom firmware includes the following functionality:

LOAD, *LOAD
- as you would expect.

SAVE, *SAVE
- a donor file with sufficient capacity must be present to accept the data.

*RUN, *[program name]
- auto-run a program.

*EXEC
- pipe a file's content through OSRDCH as if typed.

The firmware is activated automatically on break. Holding shift and tapping break will auto-run a program called MENU. Holding CTRL will temporarily disable the firmware. Holding REPT will display additional info at boot.

Other commands are CRC, FX, HELP, MON and NOMON. These are used for configuration and most likely won't be useful for the general population... :wink:

The interface contains an 8-bit output port ('portb'). It can be controlled via *FX calls. It may be disabled or set to a particular value which is persistent. I use mine for ROM banking control. It also has 240 bytes of EEPROM which may be read or written - though this feature is considered experimental (IE may not work! ;¬) in the 1.0 FW.

The speed of the unit is good, and there's room to improve it further as the firmware matures.

I will be actively maintaining both the Atom and interface firmware and will be happy to accept suggestions for features. I will also be working on a tool set for Atom program munging and any other useful utilities. I'll be making my Atom files available as well as more comprehensive documentation.

email me at: charlie underscore robson at hotmail dot com

Charlie

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Great news! Congratulations to you and us Atom users. :wink:

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:48 am

Charlie,

Are there any AtomMMC2 boards left?

I'd definitely be interested in one.

I'd be happy with any of the following:
- a fully populated board
- a bare PCB and a bag of components
- just a bare PCB

Thanks,

Dave

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am

Hi,

I've just received a new shipment of boards so yes - they're still available.

You should contact me at the email address above and I can find out about your machine and we can take things from there :)

Charlie

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

A big thank you to Charlie for AtomMMC 2!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I got it installed into my Atom yesterday and it rocks.

One area I found slightly confusing was file naming. Each ATM file has two names: An 8.3 character file name on the memory card, and a second file name in the 22 byte ATM file header. I'm not really clear on what the second file name is actually used for.

The case I'm not sure is working is when a program is split across several files, where one file chain loads another, and that second file has a name that exceeds 8.3 characters.

A concrete example is games5 on http://bbc.nvg.org/dir.php3?dir=sw/Atom. LOADER chain loads ADVENTURE, but this fails with "ERROR - INVALID NAME" (because it's 9 characters). The actual filename on the memory card in this case is ADVENTUR (I've generated this to be 8 chars or less)

Is the only way forward here to edit the original LOADER, or am I missing some tricks?

Also, I'm assuming that TAP archive files (multiple ATM files concatenated together) need to be spilt into separate ATM files. Correct? I have written a Java program that does this.

Finally, I'm looking for pointers to good archives of Atom software. Here's what I have collected so far:
http://bbc.nvg.org/dir.php3?dir=sw/Atom
http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/_archive/ato ... index.html
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/atom/wouterras/
http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4516

Have an missed any?

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Glad you're pleased :D

The name in the header is what the original tape file was called, in most cases.

You're right that multi-load programs require the file names to be edited. I'd already done the adventures some time ago (read: I've now lost them :¬) so I know it's possible to make them work with just a little hex editing.

I know Kees was helping to curate a dutch site which may have had some disk images on; but I can't remember the URI.

C

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 pm

sirmorris wrote:I know Kees was helping to curate a dutch site which may have had some disk images on; but I can't remember the URI.
Take a wild guess ....... http://www.acornatom.nl :lol:

Under Archief you can find a lot of Atom programs ...... but with the wrong header. These programs have a header for the Atom-in-PC board. You need the header for the Wouter Ras emulator (*.ATM files).

However a few disc images can be found at: http://www.acornatom.nl/atomarch/disc+tape-zips.html
Rename the extension of the discs to .DSK and you can use them in SDDOS.

Hmmm .... I think it's time to do some file conversions and put them online.

Greetings
Kees

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Hoglet,

the adventure programs uses auto loading the next file from cassette. Normally this is not possible on an Atom because if you load a file, you get the message "PLAY TAPE" which has to be confirmed with a keypress.
To bypass this message and go directly to the loading routine, a trick is used. Waiting for a keypress after the message "PLAY TAPE" calls the RDCVEC at #20A. This vector is pointing to #FE94 and waits for a keypress before returning. If you change this vector to #FE93 RTS, the wait for keypress routine returns immediatelly and the loading starts directly.

For the AtoMMC ROM this trick is not needed so has to be removed.

Put the attached MMC files for Acornsoft Adventures on the SD card and start LOADER. It should work now.

Greetings
Kees
Attachments
Acornsoft Adventures.zip
(11.89 KiB) Downloaded 122 times