FS: SLOGGER PEGASUS Electron Disk Interfaces *NEW*

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Samwise
Site Admin

Re: FS: SLOGGER PEGASUS Electron Disk Interfaces *NEW*

Post by Samwise » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 pm

MartinB wrote:
RETRTOKID wrote:...somewhere I could upload my menu disks to.
Another good idea :D Samwise..? Arcadian..?
Yeah, we can handle that. Arcadian's been bugging me to sort that out. :)

For now, drop me a PM when you have something you want to store ... I'll try and get something more automated sorted this weekend.

Sam.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:06 pm

re: the compilation discs, are you using content from the DFS disc images on AEW? If so, it might be a good idea to run your intentions past Dave E before uploading them anywhere ...

RETRTOKID

Post by RETRTOKID » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:00 am

Arcadian wrote:re: the compilation discs, are you using content from the DFS disc images on AEW? If so, it might be a good idea to run your intentions past Dave E before uploading them anywhere ...
[-X No, Id like to try and do them from scratch. Its more of a learning exercise as well as maybe giving something back or sharing tips on tape > disk transfering on the Electron.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Ok that's cool ... just thought it best to ask, that's all ... good luck with all the transfers! :)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 am

had a go of this at weekend! well cool! :D

had a quick play of 3D pool, Exile, Monsters, Killer Gorilla, Strykers Run, Joe Blade 1& 2 =D>

all the PRES games 1-6 discs worked, did not get OSCLI BLA BLA BLA like the Acorn plus3 :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

i nearly thought Joe Blade1/2 did not work, but waited about 10seconds (as elk is like a PC with Vista/7 on it :lol: ), pressed space, and off it went!! :P

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EDIT : used another site to make piccy wee!
Last edited by CMcDougall on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Nice pics of cars there Col.....Merc, Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari......and....erm... A PEUGEOT 205??? :shock: GREEN :shock: :shock:

retro_junkie

Re: FS: SLOGGER PEGASUS Electron Disk Interfaces *

Post by retro_junkie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Mine's up and running as well but I haven't really had time to try any transferring... actually, I'm having trouble finding discs that I can erase and use again... I have a load of old beeb discs but most of them seem to have something that loads and runs on the Elk so I don't want to wipe them... also, I'd want to check it is all archived somewhere!

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:52 pm

retroclinic wrote:Nice pics of cars there Col.....Merc, Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari......and....erm... A PEUGEOT 205??? :shock: GREEN :shock: :shock:
Ha ha, you've got to have been hanging around here for a while for that to make sense, see this ancient post !

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Ahh, now I see.....that would explain it. I've added my contribution to that thread, [-X to me for straying off topic here :lol:

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 am

Hi

I know I'm late to the party (always the case) but are any of these still available and at what cost?

I already have a +3 but I'd also like the option of DFS to go with +3's ADFS.

Regards
Mark

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 am

Yes Mark, there's one ready and waiting and I have the necessary to build more :D

I'll get back to you later today.

Martin

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 am

The last of batch one have now sold :D and I have received more enquiries so I'm going to shortly build a further batch. If anyone is interested, even vaguely, can you let me know because it's easier for me to build a few at a time but I don't want to go mad with them if I don't need to. Tentative interest won't mean obligation to buy, just gives me an idea of how many to build in the short-term.

After this batch, the direct STH members offer will be closing and further units will only be sold via eBay and at a higher price because Arcadian and I have decided that working for nothing is not the way forward in life :wink:

Shout up on here or via a PM - just a "might be in the near future" will suffice and, as I said, we won't hold you to it.

Martin

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 am

MartinB wrote:Acorn ADFS can be fitted in place of (or together with) the Slogger DFS if required

There is one spare ROM socket which can be used to host additional versions of DFS or ADFS or any Elk utility roms such as Starmon etc.
Ooh.. This is an old thread? Let's see if I can bring it back from Limbo...

Which version of Acorn ADFS is recommended/compatible with this board?

Now I have the burner, I'd like to try adding ADFS to this wonderful device to give me the best (and worst, if you ask some) of both worlds!

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 am

the only Acorn ADFS for Elk is version 1.00.
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/roms/Elec ... -v1.00.zip
it will boost PAGE to &1D00, and then nothing will work :roll:

unless someone changes the code, so that it can use the E00-1D00 'sideways' ram, like the sloggerDFS does =D>

PS i aint tried ADFS in mine, as you say, it sucks eggs :evil:
ImageImageImage

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 am

...Time to resurrect this thread *YET* again?

I've burned Acorn's ADFS ROM, placing it in the spare socket on the Phoenix board as suggested by CMcDougall above.

It works fine but ADFS has now become the default FS and while I can switch back and forth with CTRL-A-Break and CTRL-D-Break, I've lost access to the UTILS ROM containing the DFS FORMAT command.

It's still accessible but Typing *FORMAT 02 results in an error, telling me I'm not in ADFS.

Is there a way of leaving the ADFS ROM in situ but having the Pegasus DFS and UTILS ROMs become the default again?

Anything to do with the jumpers on the Phoenix board?

I tried switching the position of the DFS and ADFS ROMs but the poor Elk wouldn't even initialise.

My Plus 1 interface is fitted with the PRES ROM which also has ADFS formatting utils so I've got 2 different methods of formatting ADFS disks but I've lost my ability to format DFS disks.

Hold on a sec?... A light just came on. I suspect it's the PRES ROM in the Plus 1 which is grabbing the *FORMAT command and giving the ADFS related error?...

Back to my original question though? Can I make the Pegasus DFS the default again WITHOUT removing the Acorn ADFS ROM? And short of replacing the PRES ROM with a default Acorn Plus 1 ROM, can I access the *FORMAT util in the Phoenix UTILS ROM again?

Nice to know your kit is still being used though, isn't it?

Edited to replace references of ACP ROM to read PRES
Last edited by ukretrogamer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm

ukretrogamer wrote:Nice to know your kit is still being used though, isn't it?
It is indeed Mark :D

I saw this post at some ungodly hour this morning as I headed off to Edinburgh for the day and have just got back :roll:. It does ring some vague bells but I'm afraid I don't have an answer off the top of my head. I don't think it's anything to do with the links (see attached if I didn't let you have the docs) so I think I'll have to have a play myself to see if I can come up with a solution. I don't use ADFS so I'm always on the back heel when people ask such questions but I'll see if I can come up with something. It's clearly a config/conflict issue (rather than a fault) so I'll probably also have to blow some roms if I need to resort to a Mission Control style problem simulation :wink:
Attachments
peg400.zip
(64.96 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:36 am

After some thought....

I said it's not a link issue but they are relevant if you want to try swapping the DFS and ADFS over. The DFS is an $E00 version and thus has some of it's 16k mapped to Ram and this mapping for each socket is controlled by the links. Therefore, to swap ADFS and DFS over, you must also change the links to reflect also swapping the Rom/Ram requirement of the two sockets.

Swap DFS and ADFS over and change the links from their default of Down-Up-Up-Down to Up-Down-Down-Up (reading L to R). Assuming that swapping the roms over moves the priority from ADFS to DFS, it should work. (I think... :-k)

Not tried it on a Peg so feedback welcome :wink:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 am

MartinB wrote:I don't use ADFS
what a clever man! =D>

best bet would to put ADFS in the bin where it belongs for elk & beeb b.
or
blow ADT1.xx and put it in another cartridge, and use *UNPLUG xx or use the format command in ADT.
or
just format your ADFS discs in Omniflop, then throw at elk :wink:
ImageImageImage

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 pm

MartinB wrote:After some thought....

I said it's not a link issue but they are relevant if you want to try swapping the DFS and ADFS over. Swap DFS and ADFS over and change the links from their default of Down-Up-Up-Down to Up-Down-Down-Up (reading L to R). Assuming that swapping the roms over moves the priority from ADFS to DFS, it should work. (I think... :-k)

Not tried it on a Peg so feedback welcome :wink:
Swapping the ROMs and changing the position of the jumpers worked and made the Pegasus DFS the default again.

However, I still couldn't get to the Pegasus *FORMAT routine from the utils ROM.

In the end, I replaced the PRES ROM with an original Acorn ROM in the +1. This gave me access to the Pegasus DFS *FORMAT tool again.

Also, as the PRES ROM has an ADFS formatting routine built-in and neither the Acorn +1 or ADFS v1 ROMs do, I'm having to resort to using ADT in the second slot of the +1 to format discs without the booting from the Electron Welcome Disk.

...Call me lazy but having to boot from one disk to format another is a bit too much work. You've spoiled us by putting the Pegasus formatting tool in the ROM!

It seems with both Pegasus DFS and Acorn ADFS ROMs installed on the board and the PRES Expansion ROM inside the +1, I can format ADFS from the PRES Expansion ROM but it takes priority over the Pegasus routine of the same name, stopping me formatting DFS disks.

Edited to replace references of ACP ROM to read PRES
Last edited by ukretrogamer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Could you use ADT's *UNPLUG command to unplug itself prior to using *FORMAT for a DFS disc and then do a <Ctrl><Break> when you've finished formattting to restore ADT? (Use *ROMS to get an id for ADT to use in the *UNPLUG)

Prime

Post by Prime » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 am

I have another question @MartinB did you ever make any more Pegasus boards I think you said a while back that you would be making some more.

Cheers.

Phill.

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:37 pm

MartinB wrote:Could you use ADT's *UNPLUG command to unplug itself prior to using *FORMAT for a DFS disc and then do a <Ctrl><Break> when you've finished formattting to restore ADT? (Use *ROMS to get an id for ADT to use in the *UNPLUG)
Having put back the PRES (Sorry, not ACP) Expansion ROM, I tried *UNPLUG and was deftly informed to use *KILL instead.

However, after issuing a *KILL command, I still got the Not ADFS error from the PRES Expansion ROM.

It turns out, on the PRES v1.6 Plus1 expansion ROM, you need to issue the *KILL command TWICE to remove it. At which point, a CTRL-Break won't bring it back but cycling the power will.

So. Having swapped the position of the DFS and ADFS ROMs and adjusted all of the jumpers, I now have both DFS *and* ADFS in the Pegasus board, with DFS being the system default and by issuing two *KILL commands in succession, I can format DFS disks again from the UTILS ROM.

Happy bunny... =D>

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Mark : Glad you got sorted :D

Incidentally, that Pres rom doesn't support command forcing in that there's a star command to force another specified *command to a particular rom id? There is at least one rom out there that supports this but I can't just recall which so a wishful thought is that it might be the Pres Expansion Rom? If it did, you would be able to type something like *FORCE 6 FORMAT which would send a *FORMAT command to rom id 6 only. (But note that FORCE wasn't the name I remember, just made that up to demonstrate the usage.)

Phill : You're absolutely correct, I did indeed say that and I also procured all the parts for half a dozen more Pegs and then did sod all about building them because other things diverted my grasshopper mind :roll:

Does your question reflect a hankering for one ?

Is anybody else interested?

Can Samwise please edit Colin's lovely picture so that the thread isn't so damn wide?

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Hmm ... I put a fix in for the picture-stretching-topic issue literally years ago. It looks like the latest versions of IE have some sort of a problem with it. I'll try and look at it this weekend. Works fine in Firefox.

Sam.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks Sam - I mostly use an EeePC 10" netbook running IE8 and this thread for example is about twice as wide as the screen so to say get at the [Edit] button I have to scroll way over. It only happens when people submit non-reduced pictures. Looks fine on Jayne's 15" laptop btw but that's running IE6 if that makes a difference?

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 am

MartinB wrote:Incidentally, that Pres rom doesn't support command forcing in that there's a star command to force another specified *command to a particular rom id? There is at least one rom out there that supports this but I can't just recall which so a wishful thought is that it might be the Pres Expansion Rom? If it did, you would be able to type something like *FORCE 6 FORMAT which would send a *FORMAT command to rom id 6 only. (But note that FORCE wasn't the name I remember, just made that up to demonstrate the usage.)
ACP's Advanced ROM Manager has an *OFFER command which allows sending a command to a specific ROM. Was this the one you meant?

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 am

MartinB wrote: please edit Col's lovely picture so that the thread isn't so damn wide?
it was on a upload file attachment, so now from another site in the [ img ] / thing \:D/ so now smaller :wink:
ImageImageImage

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am

MartinB wrote:Mark : Glad you got sorted :D
Phill : You're absolutely correct, I did indeed say that and I also procured all the parts for half a dozen more Pegs and then did sod all about building them because other things diverted my grasshopper mind :roll:

Does your question reflect a hankering for one ?
Yeah might as well, I have a Plus3, but also have several other Electrons with Slogger Rom box plusses.

Even if you have just the components I'd be quite happy to assemble myself.....

Cheers.

Phill.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Mark : That’s not the rom I had in mind but yes, that’s the command concept I was referring to. There’s definitely then at least one more rom out there that supports a similar command but maybe it’s a bit excessive to take up a rom slot just for that command? It would certainly solve your problem more elegantly though in that you could force the format command straight through to the Peg DFS.

However, after some more thought…..

Since you’ve got to type *KILL twice and then re-cycle, it might be easier if you were to temporarily disable the PRES Expansion rom with a suitable poke to the ROM Byte Table which, in the Elk, is at $2A1 to $2B0 where the byte for rom id 0 is at $2A1 and the byte for rom id 15 is at $2B0.

For example, if your PRES Expansion rom is in say slot 5, its type byte is at location $2A6. Thus, each time you want to format a DFS disc, type ?&2A6=0 to temporarily disable the PRES Expansion rom, issue your format command, which will now not be trapped by the Expansion rom, and then just use <Break> or maybe <Ctrl><Break> to restore the PRES Expansion rom. (Just change the &2A6 to match the id of your Expansion rom.)

This method is classed as ‘dirty’ and shouldn’t be used for long-term disabling as it won’t recover any workspace previously claimed by the rom in question but it’s fine for temporary disablement such as is required in this instance.

Phill : I’ll give you a shout in due course :wink:

Colin : Thanks :D

Advance

Post by Advance » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Hooray, my new Pegasus Phoenix has arrived and it is a great bit of kit which I'd recommend to anyone.
Lovely workmanship and flawless performance. My "new" Elk is now fully compatable with my old RX thanks to the *T2P400 ROM (with genuine original label) you fitted.
Putting it through its paces meant I had to dig out the old manual and I was surprised to re-discover some of the features the board boasts. And it is actually quite a good manual for DFS generally.
I'd given up hope of finding an original Peg so it was fantastic to be able to order a bespoke one.
Thanks a lot for your hard work Martin (and the nice serial number). Can't help wondering what else might emerge from that Slogger hoard.
Hugh

Return to “for sale / freebies”