Ribbon Cables

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
BeebMaster

Ribbon Cables

Post by BeebMaster »

I'm having a ribbonfest this weekend as I can't go to Proms in the Park for the first time since 1997 so it's something to do instead. Here's a selection of made-up and part-made-up cables I've been working on:
Ribbons.jpg
Ribbon1big.jpg
Ribbon2big.jpg
I can do 20, 34, 40 and 50 way ribbon cables in practically any length requested, and many combinations of connectors.

20-way ribbon cables are for user port mainly, 34 are for disc drive and 1MHz bus devices, or in place of anything else, to replace a BBC B keyboard ribbon cable by using one row of a female connector at each end, 40 way are for IDE devices and the Tube, 50 way for SCSI.

For 20, 34 and 40 way I can do female-to-female, female-to-male, male to male. For 34 way I can also do Edge Card (for use with 5.25" floppy drive or ST506 discs) or 37-way D type (for Acorn Winchester disc or FileStores) connectors. For 50 way ribbon cables I can only do female-to-female.

I've tried to keep the pricing simple, even though there's a bit of a variation in the cost of different connectors, so it's one price per width and length for a cable with a connector at either end. For additional connectors (eg. for a dual floppy disc drive) we can just add 50p to the base price. Different lengths available on request.
Pins 1 ft. 3 ft.
20 £3 £5
34 £4 £6
40 £5 £7
50 £7 £9
I prefer to roll up the cables as shown in the top picture, but this has an adverse effect on postage as it puts it in the "small parcel" bracket and effectively doubles the cost, so I can flatten them down for fitting in a jiffy bag and keep postage at £1.50. And they will fit in a post box, unlike the floppy discs which wouldn't go in any of 3 post boxes I tried!

As always, please PM me for enquiries and ordering.
flaxcottage

Re: Ribbon Cables

Post by flaxcottage »

Nice but have you tried drinking whiskey instead? :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I love you John...love you.

It's nefidately improved my skimping crills...skrimps...scrimp....
IMG_7580.JPG
I love you.
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

flaxcottage wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Oh how I miss my whiskey, there's even a lovely 16 year old Lagavulin (petty much my favourite) sitting on the shelf, taunting me every time I go into the pantry :(
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:

Post by 8271 »

Ian - Could you do a double disc drive one (one of the drives being a normal teac edge connector and one being a gotek?) And for an extra twist, could you break out the line which selects which one would be drive 0 and which one would be drive 1 ?
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
2 x BBC-B, 4 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, A310, A4, A5000, RiscPC700 Level 4 Server, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200, RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

flaxcottage wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:47 pm
Good plan, but here in Scotland we drink Whisky not Whiskey :wink: !
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

8271 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm
Ian - Could you do a double disc drive one (one of the drives being a normal teac edge connector and one being a gotek?) And for an extra twist, could you break out the line which selects which one would be drive 0 and which one would be drive 1 ?
Yes, I can certainly make a 34 way ribbon cable with 2 connectors at the drive end, one edge connector and another for the Gotek - is it a male or female? But I don't want to be getting into putting twists in cable, that's very unnatural for the Beeb and if I'm going to start doing that I might as well change my name to "IBMCompatibleMaster". I presume the saviour-of-mankind Gotek contraption has a method of setting its own drive number without having to bodge a cable?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The (I presume) 5¼” drive should have device (drive) selection links/jumper shunts and the Gotek definitely does.

Mark
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

8271 wrote:And for an extra twist, could you break out the line which selects which one would be drive 0 and which one would be drive 1 ?

I could be wrong, but I took that as a metaphorical ‘twist’ and that 8271 just wants those wires broken-out to facilitate the fitting of an id changeover switch to allow either drive to be switch-selectable as the drive 0 booter without changing drive jumpers.

Maybe?
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Metaphors, eh? I didn't get where I am today without recognising a horse of a different colour changing courses in mid stream!

Post by 8271 »

I could be wrong, but I took that as a metaphorical ‘twist’ and that 8271 just wants those wires broken-out to facilitate the fitting of an id changeover switch to allow either drive to be switch-selectable as the drive 0 booter without changing drive jumpers.
Damn right! I was looking to use the 40/80 switch at the back of a dual drive enclosure to hopefully select which drive is 0 (Gotek or regular floppy).
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
2 x BBC-B, 4 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, A310, A4, A5000, RiscPC700 Level 4 Server, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200, RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

I guessed so because I’ve had that particular feature forever - back in the day and now, it’s still an essential on all my floppy drive pairs. It’s particularly useful for 35/525 combo units because I tend to use 35s for everyday stuff due to their robustness but still have lots of bootable 525s knocking around. If the drive unit is already all tidily configured and buttoned-up, I have a couple of Beeb<>Drive ribbon cables into which I’ve directly inline-grafted the id changeover switch.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, as a special request for our member named after my favourite 1970s micro-chip, I'm sure I can do it, as long as I know what to cut and where...

Return to “for sale / freebies”